• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SnoWest Challenge?

R

Ron

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 4, 2006
Boise
Just wondering what everyone thought of the latest SnoWest challenge? Bet the Doo guys loved it this year-haven't seen it called "PolarisWest" like last year when the 700 Dragon won.
I was surprised by the results but then thought about it some more. The D7 outclimbed the D8, come on get real!!! I think it shows a real weakness in the way SnoWest gets the results & this has to have some effect on sled sales. The 800's from Carl's Cycle sure run better than the one in the shoot out.
Not to knock Hymark but they weren't up for the challenge & blaming bad gas for lack of clutching expertise is kinda lame IMO. Reggie seemed more intent on showcasing his turbo than the job at hand. The same thing happened to Doo last year when MIchael's couldn't get the Doo setup right. The SnoWest readers are the losers since we didn't get a fair comparo 2 years in a row.
It's convenient for SnoWest to do the testing in Island Park where they have a cabin. It's also good for business to share the spotlight with different dealers each year.
The info would be more useful to me if SW selected a location with snow and dealers that can tune. If that means that the factory is involved, fine. SnoWest treats dealer selection as a Perk when we all know how important setup is for deep snow comparison.
SnoWest please try to seperate your desire for advertising $'s from reporting. If you are going to put on a challenge then you have an obligation to provide accurate results-that's the function of a reporter.
That's my opinion-how about the rest of you?

H
Nov 26, 2007
boise,idaho
not to knock hymark, that sounds exactly like what you are doing, why dont you come over and run your 800 against our stuff since it seems to be wiping everyone else off the hill. the rules allow oem weight, helix and gearing changes, which stock machine is jack taking the helix off of to make the dragon 800 perform better???? the first night that machine was filled up with 7 gallons of gas out of a tank that was sitting up at IP, so that they could get a weight after we rode that day to check the weight. that tank got filled up right before X-mas in 2006. it's funny that jack nor any of his employees talk any smack, it's always his customers. maybe we should send you up next year to represent polaris. by the way this is not reggie, this is lance and i take offense to your post.

Last edited:
H
Nov 26, 2007
boise,idaho
and for further information all the sleds used in the challenge by all the manufacturers were all uncrated a week prior, the sleds with the most miles on them were the yamaha's. this is basically a stock challenge, and a radar gun used with runs going one next to the other with ryan harris doing all the riding. this was by far one of the best out of the box test's i have seen.

I
Nov 26, 2007
Oregon
Just wondering what everyone thought of the latest SnoWest challenge? Bet the Doo guys loved it this year-haven't seen it called "PolarisWest" like last year when the 700 Dragon won.
I was surprised by the results but then thought about it some more. The D7 outclimbed the D8, come on get real!!! I think it shows a real weakness in the way SnoWest gets the results & this has to have some effect on sled sales. The 800's from Carl's Cycle sure run better than the one in the shoot out.
Not to knock Hymark but they weren't up for the challenge & blaming bad gas for lack of clutching expertise is kinda lame IMO. Reggie seemed more intent on showcasing his turbo than the job at hand. The same thing happened to Doo last year when MIchael's couldn't get the Doo setup right. The SnoWest readers are the losers since we didn't get a fair comparo 2 years in a row.
It's convenient for SnoWest to do the testing in Island Park where they have a cabin. It's also good for business to share the spotlight with different dealers each year.
The info would be more useful to me if SW selected a location with snow and dealers that can tune. If that means that the factory is involved, fine. SnoWest treats dealer selection as a Perk when we all know how important setup is for deep snow comparison.
SnoWest please try to seperate your desire for advertising $'s from reporting. If you are going to put on a challenge then you have an obligation to provide accurate results-that's the function of a reporter.
That's my opinion-how about the rest of you?

WOW, until today sir your posts on this sight seemed pretty inteligent and very helpful, but now im am seriously questioning your competence as a "PROFESSIONAL SNOWMOBILE TUNER." Give me a break!

If you werent aware this challenge is a stock shoot out, do you know what that means, stock,? Blaming a dealer for poor setup when their 700 outclimbed M8's and M10's is simply rediculous. No one was trying to create excuses, rather an explanation as to why a 700 would outclimb an 800, lets admit there was obviously something else going on other than clutching setups.

Im as mad as you that these POS XP's showed us up, but thats no secret, ive seem them outclimb dragons time and time again, but personally I would rather ride the sled that is much funner to ride and easier to handle and doesnt need belts changed daily or towed out weekly.

And as for the stupid comment about showing off the turbo.....WOW where do you start with stupidity? All dealers were asked to bring a modded sled as well, and as we all know Highmarks turbo are there trademark...why wouldnt they bring it??? Its not there fault the Snowest expanded on it to enlighten people of just exactly what an amzing setup it is.

Bottom line, dont post stupid comments in attempt to create rivalry between two good dealers especially about a "stock shoot out." I dont see Jack on here bashing people about stock sleds.

Lets praise the 700 and hope this years results are different.

Geese, STUPID PEOPLE!!!

R

Ron

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 4, 2006
Boise
I will apologize for the way my post knocks some dealers-that wasn't my intent starting out -should have let the facts speak for themselves. I rode a SkiDoo Summit last year & knew that the results last year didn't match the real world. (Carl's doesn't sell SkiDoo by the way.) This year same thing-the D8 is a better sled than depicted in the SnoWest challenge & sure as h$ll is faster & climbs better than the D7. When you have two identical sleds and one has 10% more power you better know you have a problem before you start "racing". There are lots of possibilities but clutching is the likely culprit.
As far as running stock sleds that doesn't preclude one from changing clutching. Polaris sells a bunch of Team helixes, 10 & 11 series weights, springs for drive & driven. There are lots of tuning options using stock Polaris parts & the sled has been on the snow for 3 months.
Fact is the stock D8 came from the factory poorly clutched. The SW challenge D8 ran poorly-maybe it was gas, maybe a weak sled or was it the clutch setup? Guess I'm just a little naive since I'd like to see results from these comparo's that are realistic.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
I havn't seen the article. Doo must have changed clutch settup dramatically from stock to have won???
I'm sure all the dealers involved do the best they can with the circumstances presented, after all it's like free advertisement for their business if they do well.

Cardiac Kid

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2001
Well my D8 from the dealer in stock trim would not outperform last year D7. I traded rides with a friend who has a 07 D7 earlier this yr and I didn't want to trade back and he didn't want to ride my D8 further than about a 1/2 a mile. Clearly some of the D8's didn’t perform well from the factory and these results didn't surprise this D8 owner, polaris didn't have the sled set up well from the factory. With the recent changes in the mapping my sled is way better and I would like to trade my buddy again and see how much closer they are. I love the ride of my D8 but it also hasn’t outperformed the 800 XP my friend has but again he has a very good dealer who knows how to set up Skidoos and it is running right on the edge, (the beauty of a carbureted motor). So No Surprises Here.

J-Dog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 13, 2007
Idaho Falls Id
Good job Ron

I agree with Ron . If you can use polaris weights , springs and gears there is no way the D8 should not have dominated the challenge if set up right . Maybe instead of sending a dealer that spends all of his time on turbo sled setups . Send a dealer that spends there time on stock form or close to stock set ups . Which is what about 80% of riders do to there sleds . The result would have been different i'm sure . I know because I ride with xp's . I feel bad for the guy that buy's a xp 146 , 154 or for that matter a 163 and thinks he will beat a D8 that is set up right .

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
every year some sleds shine, others don't....last year the d-7 shined because the hill climbs were basically speed runs, and the dragon excells on hard snow....maybe this years tests in deep snow more adequately represent polaris' ability.....the cats were running with the tracks turned around backwards, and they suffered also....the xp looked good, and in my riding with both xps' and d-8s' that were totally stock, the snowest challenge was right on.....during last years spring ride the 7's were kicking the 8's all over the hill, clutching and everything possible was being put out by the poo reps to defend their new sled, but maybe the 7 is just an outstanding sled that is set-up right out of the box....maybe the guys who bought d-8s did the tweaking that made their sleds run better, more power to you....but nowhere did i see d-8s that were well set-up kick on xps that were equally well dialed...anyway it's nice to have choices

S
Nov 26, 2007
Washington State
Maybe adding a points scale that includes recalls, breakdowns, reliability, and re-turns to dealer for fixes is needed. The XP would not have been on top then IMO. Either way I don't really care, my D8 has not been back into the shop for any reason other than my own choice in mods and that sits right with me. So much pissin and moanin about something that really doesn't matter, as long as your happy ridin what you got STFU and ride. gettin off my soap box now :face-icon-small-win:beer;

SAWYER

Lifetime Membership
Jan 12, 2006
Kingston Idaho
Well put Ron.

Wyoming T/A hit it right on the head. Every manufacturer is building a good machine now. But 95% of the dealers don't know how to set them up. They bolt the skis on and put ship them out the door.

And Himark Rec, don't come on here and start being a douche bag for someone voicing their opinion. Just because you work at a dealership doesn't make you the king of sled tuning either. From what i've seen of your turbos on the hill they are not set up real great either. I'd take your little challenge any day, because I know for a fact I can setup a sled better than any piss poor excuse for a dealer out there. And how professional of you representing your dealership. I'll be sure to tell everyone to visit you down at himark rec cause you such a congenial, intelligent bastard.

Last edited:
P

pwdrhogRMK800

Oct 29, 2002
Casper, WY
Well this thread took off just like I thought it would:D

My only question is if you are going to represent Polaris why would you ever dump some old 2006 vintage gas into your sled?

I would be damn sure that the sled was running 100% before I ever pulled out of Boise and pack some fuel with me given the fact I knew where I was going and what I was in for.

Not bashing High Mark Rec, I bought my first sled there but all eyes are on you. Represent the brand you are there for the best you can!

If the D8 geats beat by the XP and both are at their best, no problem. But when you read that the D8 with bad fuel gets beat by the XP because the D8 is not running right, its like WTF even bring the D8 to the challenge?

Last edited:
O

Ollie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 16, 2004
Colorado
The whole thing is kind of funny.
The sleds they are making today outshine anything made just 3 or 4 years ago.
I don't really care if someone elses sled can out climb or outrun my sled.
Why?
Because it isn't going to be by much.
Buy the sled that fits you, feels right and you can afford.

Every year they pic a winner and every year everyone that doesn't win complains about how the event was rigged.
Who cares. I saw the results, they were all pretty close.
This year Doo won.
Last year Poo won.
Won't it be interesting to see who is complaining next year.

S

snoboy

Dec 4, 2007
Maple Valley Wa
Maybe adding a points scale that includes recalls, breakdowns, reliability, and re-turns to dealer for fixes is needed. The XP would not have been on top then IMO. Either way I don't really care, my D8 has not been back into the shop for any reason other than my own choice in mods and that sits right with me. So much pissin and moanin about something that really doesn't matter, as long as your happy ridin what you got STFU and ride. gettin off my soap box now :face-icon-small-win:beer;

Amen to that!:beer;

N
Jan 11, 2008
Spokane, WA
Last year my dad was part of the snowest dealer shootout. He represented Pierre's Polaris with his friend and he told me all about what happened. They out rode most of the guys and their setup 727 made the D&D 1200 cat look sad. Snowest flew in a "professional" rider to do the uphill cross times and the owner of Pierre's (best rider i've ever seen) had faster times up the hill than their "professional". Too bad they did not get invited back this year though, as it sounded like a lot of fun.

Premium Features