• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2016 Axys - can you swap 2.6" track out for a 3" track?

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Is it possible to simply put a 3" track on a belt-drive Axys that comes with the 2.6"?

Or do you have to change drivers?

Thanks

2.6 track is a 2.86 drive pitch. The 3.0 track is a 3.0 drive pitch. The "correct" answer is you have to change drivers. However.... I know guys that have done this without changing drivers and have reported no issues

frntflp

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Plymouth, MN
2.6 track is a 2.86 drive pitch. The 3.0 track is a 3.0 drive pitch. The "correct" answer is you have to change drivers. However.... I know guys that have done this without changing drivers and have reported no issues

I'm pretty sure there is a gear reduction (12 or 13% is advertised) that goes with the 3" and that is also a part of the consideration. If there was a readily avail belt drive pulley set to make the right gearing, those with 3" lugs might have a belt drive from the factory......

Betterview

Lifetime Membership
Mar 16, 2008
Central Minnesota
I'm pretty sure there is a gear reduction (12 or 13% is advertised) that goes with the 3" and that is also a part of the consideration. If there was a readily avail belt drive pulley set to make the right gearing, those with 3" lugs might have a belt drive from the factory......

That gear reduction of 12 or 13% happens on an Arctic Cat when going from the 7 to the 8 tooth driver. The 2.86" pitch is 0.14" short on each tooth leaving you over .5" short with only 4 teeth in contact with the track as it rounds the drivers. A sure risk of ratcheting in certain snow conditions and a loose track.

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
If you put a 3" pitch track on a 2.86" pitch drive... the track WILL Have to slip to drive the track.

Running a track with proper factory tension causes problems with this mis-match of drive sizes.

Yes... It will 'turn' the track... but it is no way near correct and there will be a lot of things that cause problems.

My 2¢

edgey

Premium Member
Jul 9, 2001
Yes you will have to change driver's The 3" is 3" pitch the space between the track windows and the 2.6 is 2.86 pitch.

On the 3" on belt drive sled I have a 1000 miles on mine with pro gears it works great. Running X3 camo 162.

B
Dec 17, 2007
Houston Texas
Thanks for replies everyone. So, the 3" lug track will fit, but still need to change drivers to accommodate the different pitch. Looks like Avid makes centre drive 3" pitch 7 tooth drivers that will work.

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
8 tooth, 3"-pitch drivers will not give you adequate lug tip clearance with a 3"-lug track however.

I don't know if you can even get the driveshaft in using 8T 3" pitch drivers. If so, I bet the paddles will be extremely close to or actually rubbing the front tunnel/bulkhead plate.

Last edited:

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Thanks for replies everyone. So, the 3" lug track will fit, but still need to change drivers to accommodate the different pitch. Looks like Avid makes centre drive 3" pitch 7 tooth drivers that will work.

That option will work fine. If you get those drivers you wont have to cut the tips of your rails off and install anti-stab wheels.

Premium Features