• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Actual add on turbo weight

alt

Lifetime Membership
Jan 7, 2010
Livingston
www.alternativeimpact.com
Curious if we can get some input from anyone with first hand experience how much weight exactly a turbo adds to a sled? Comparing apples to apples meaning same kit/same sled, boondocker/ Silber and whatever else is out there. I see some use the rubber hose charge tubes, other aluminum. Looking for actual weight.
Dan

benltr

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2013
As far as Silber, if you compare the whole kit vs stock oem muffler, you only add 0.5 or 1 lbs i think.

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
I can do some weights with the other parts here on my next install. The other stuff should be close to a wash on a Silber set up but would need to verify.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Yeah, by the time you yank the stock airbox out that makes the muffler about even, then add back in a few # for silicone. Safe guess would be gaining 4-5# over stock.

S
Oct 4, 2016
north pole alaska
cant remember who it was but some one on SW did the whole weight comparison charge tubes, turbo the whole shebang vs. stock can air box and the rest that comes off seems like it was just around 3 pounds heaver. I have always wondered what the BD kit weight exchange is!

alt

Lifetime Membership
Jan 7, 2010
Livingston
cant remember who it was but some one on SW did the whole weight comparison charge tubes, turbo the whole shebang vs. stock can air box and the rest that comes off seems like it was just around 3 pounds heaver. I have always wondered what the BD kit weight exchange is!

Me as well, about the BD setup. Not much said about it here.

S
Oct 4, 2016
north pole alaska
I was guessing that BDs kit added more than Silbers {thus why the people who have done the weigh out stayed quiet} some one HADE TO wonder what they were adding and did it right???? im sure the power to weight is great still but we all love a light sled!! just one of the reasons why I went with silber!

S
Oct 4, 2016
north pole alaska
I have not got to play on the other turbos so I cant answer all the ???

hp= have not seen a single dyno test on any of the brands??

throttle response= I have an after market clutch kit (indy dans) 5-pounds boost 0-6000ft and on dense snow its a arm jerker and will stand vertical before the rear idler wheels meets where the ski was! {so yea way better than stock}

ease of install= silber has got to be the easiest and quickest {drill 1 hole in a rubber boot and put a T in an oil line the rest is plug and play}
trouble free= I have hade not one problem and has ran flawless from day 1!
first hand experiences= all :D and hold on for the ride!!!
cost=if I remember right silber was the best priced{I bought mine off season when they hade a sail}

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
From what I have heard from a big name that has road both BD and Silber Axys. The BD seamed top make a bit more on top but the Silber produced a lot more on the bottom. Say he preferred Silber for tree riding and well overall.

At sea level the bases were about 10hp per pound. Would love to get one on a dyno to know for sure.

I can tell you from a dead stop, Boost vs stock Axys... The boost leaves it from start to finish... Not even close anywhere

alt

Lifetime Membership
Jan 7, 2010
Livingston
Thanks guys good info. These are some of the things I get asked on almost a daily basis. I'm honestly one of those guys that's just making the leap into the turbo world. Burandt is locked into BD but you sure hear Silber come up quite often, everyone's got a reason to pick one over the other. Pretty large investment so it's always good to hear from guys who know first hand.

Davajn

Lifetime Membership
Dec 29, 2012
Sweden
www.instagram.com
None have mentioned Mtntk's kit. But i guess its the kit that adds most weight.

But then it has an additional tunnel cooler and a water to air intercooler. So it kinda depends on what you value in your kit. I really do like the tunnel cooler tho. Living in scandinavia and running at sealvl to low elevation gives the water to air intercooler a big advantage.
Without a intercooler im fairly certain i would have to drop ~3psi when running pumpgas.

S
Oct 4, 2016
north pole alaska
do they pull timing to let you run pump gas? how does a inner cooler let you run higher boost on pump gas? what boost are you running?
from my understanding mtntk's kit is a better one if you are going to run BIG boost {do to the extras goodies in the kit}

as for BD vrs silber yea BD is backed by some big players silber is backed by the users/dealers {don't know of 1 dealer that's not a user}we are all junkies!! either kit is a good one but the more I researched and dug the more I liked silber for a multitude of reasons. one of the big ones for me was that silber was the only one to turn up the oiler! add HP add lube just made since to me!

Davajn

Lifetime Membership
Dec 29, 2012
Sweden
www.instagram.com
do they pull timing to let you run pump gas? how does a inner cooler let you run higher boost on pump gas? what boost are you running?
from my understanding mtntk's kit is a better one if you are going to run BIG boost {do to the extras goodies in the kit}

A turbocharger creates very high charge tempratures due to it compressing the air. When you compress air it increases its temprature, by alot.
And increased intake air temprature isnt something you want on an engine. That makes the air/fuel mixture warm and it becomes more prone to knocking/self detonation. Thus you cant run very high boost levels.
Having an intercooler cools down the charge temprature and makes you able to increase boost. And having a water to air intercooler on a sled, that uses the coolant loop with the intercooler first in loop is VERY effective.

As i've stated before in some other thread. I've run 8psi on my former sled on straight pumpgas at sealvl. That isnt something you can do on lets say a Silber or BD kit without IC.

S
Oct 4, 2016
north pole alaska
I don't think you can run 3 pounds on pump gas with IC with silber or BD at sea level without timing key {pulling timing}? not positive of that some one will chime in if im wrong! a IC can lower charge temps and help det but is no replacement for octane or timing, I believe BD offers a timing key to let you run pump gas at sea-level IC or not. if you want to run bigger boost IC are definitely nice and all most necessary {8 pounds at sea-leavel is a lot of boost!} im am guessing that mtntk played with your timing to be able to run pump gas at sea-level with 8 pounds? I have wondered... does pulling the timing also pull the HP?? is running pump gas just for the convenience of not worrying about the octane and if so at what cost to performance/HP? sorry about getting off topic curiosity just gets the best of me sometimes.....most of the time :)

Premium Features