• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best tether and kill switch

N
Apr 9, 2010
Soldotna, AK
Polaris one works well. One did start wearing out on me after about 1500 miles where I was having intermittent cutout issues because rubber was not putting enough pressure on it. Annoying thing is that you cannot by a standalone rubber cap/tether, which I found out after i lost it at LL last year.

Last edited:

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Yeah, had issues with both! My pro armor would be stuck (frozen?) and it has a large cylinder that needs to move to shut the switch = easy to freeze so keep it dry or lubed or something.

OEM Polaris has pretty much always been fine. The other day it gave me issues since I took the tether away from the sled (hooked to key) when parked and water froze in the top part of the switch.
Fix for this is let the tether cord stay on sled and/or reposition switch to 90deg minimum so gravity helps keep snow/water out of it.

But yeah, just get one! :face-icon-small-coo

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
Polaris Tether Addition

I have put this up before- but will again-
I have never had an issue with the polaris tether after doing this simple modification-
Every sled that come through my shop with a tether gets this treatment for free!!!

Tether Axys .jpg

SwedenPro

Premium Member
Apr 1, 2013
Sweden
There is a washer and a locknut on the polaris tether, if ithe locknut, washer and material is to thick or set to far out the top would not tread down far enough to make a good activation of the rubber switch. I'm happy with the oem Polaris one

rmjj

Premium Member
Jan 10, 2008
Brookings,SD
16 axys found the pouch. Is there an empty set of wires waiting all I see empty is power acc. Do I need to unplug something? Wire colors?? Thanks

R

realbass

Feb 3, 2009
Russia, Krasnoyarsk
Pro Armor, Pro Design, OEM kill switches is JUNK!
We use here is Tohatsu p/n 398-06830-0
This is BEST ever kill switch what we saw.
Let's try it.

K
Jan 20, 2018
Brown wired tether to black w/ blue stripe

OUCH!! the Polaris one is like $30 and has worked very well on the last 3 sleds.

Just got a 2018 pro rmk 800 and polaris tether. Has black and brown wire on tether. Sled has black and black with blue stripe coming off ignition. Plugged into the one it fit in in the Velcro pouch by steering column that's black and black with blue stripe. Seems to work fine.

Just wondering if this is messed / why the brown wire? Should I get a different one or just keep it goin since it works?

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
Nothing to worry about it's a simple open/closed circuit and the tether is universal for polaris

LongHorn XC

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Illinois
Just my experience here with the teth air. We bought 4 of them, one on a doo and two on polaris. After a year of running them I couldn't convince anyone to use the fourth one. Range is a bit of an issue no mater the antenna length but your sled dying in the wrong place or wrong time is just dangerous. Not bashing on anyone here just my 2 cents.

I bought Teth-Air as well. It was the older version, tried it for one year, had too many issues. Just cruising it would shut off for no reason. Plus the box is rather large to hide anywhere.

FrankTheTank

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Sweden
www.mountainspeedshop.se
I dont like the plastic plungers, Ive seen them brake and the sled keeps running!
OEM is good, but make sure the plastic/washer isnt to thick. If so, use a thinner washer, otherwise it can cut just by moving the cord.

Premium Features