• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

PART 1: AV gas in a turbo 2 stroke

Status
Not open for further replies.

adam5187

Lifetime Membership
Nov 14, 2009
MH NOTE: I have broken this thread up into smaller pieces so that our basic readers can also check out the information here

I am just wondering if running pure av gas in a 2 stroke turbo is a cheaper alternative to a 50/50 race fuel/premium mix. I can get it here in Alberta for 1.46 per litre, so any info or problems would be appreciated, thanks. I will be running 12lbs of on d7 with a silber kit.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

Jkinzer

Nov 27, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
i've never ran it myself, but my uncle ran it for three years in his mtn cat 900 turbo and it worked great for him

T

theshadowrider

Jan 27, 2010
I am just wondering if running pure av gas in a 2 stroke turbo is a cheaper alternative to a 50/50 race fuel/premium mix. I can get it here in Alberta for 1.46 per litre, so any info or problems would be appreciated, thanks. I will be running 12lbs of on d7 with a silber kit.

That works out to about $5.57US per gallon at the current exchange rate. So is it cheaper that running a mix? What is the price for premium and race gas up in your part. I would just run straight avgas and not have to worry about what you are getting or the ratio. Nice thing about avgas is there are a lot of airports around that you can always buy avgas at.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
not to be annoying, but you can figure it out pretty easy, as anyone who isnt from the same area doesnt know what fuel prices are like there, so cant really help. IMO, if there isnt a small airport super close, then its not worth a whole lot, then your working just as hard to get it as race gas...

but, the straight avgas thing is nice, no mixing and wondering.. just fill and go.

adam5187

Lifetime Membership
Nov 14, 2009
I meant a 50/50 mix of race and pump gas. A 5 gallon drum of race fuel here is about 60-70 bucks and our airport will sell us av gas, just pull up to the pump. Thanks for the info, I am going to be running pure av gas this winter, can't wait for snow!!

T

theshadowrider

Jan 27, 2010
I meant a 50/50 mix of race and pump gas. A 5 gallon drum of race fuel here is about 60-70 bucks and our airport will sell us av gas, just pull up to the pump. Thanks for the info, I am going to be running pure av gas this winter, can't wait for snow!!

That's what I am going to do is run av gas. I park my trailer at the airport so it will be convenient to fill up. Anyone know how much boost you can run on avgas and be safe? I know it depends on what my intake temps are, I will be running an intercooler.

Woody67

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 5, 2008
Bellingham, WA
I ran 7-8lbs most of last season avg alt about 5000 feet. I used a combination of pump premium and a 2-4 gallons of different race fuels for testing. Near the end of the season at about 8lbs with 2 gallons of 110 in the tank and pump it started throwing the det sensor now and again. I don't know if it was poor pump or what. I decided to try avgas. The sled seemed to love it. At one of the last rides of the year I turned it up to 9.5lbs at about 6000 feet. Duty cycle was maxed (I know I shouldn't do that) but it ran so good and never tripped the det sensor all day. My sled ran the best and was the most consistent with straight avgas.

Woody

rmk727

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2008
SO.DAK
What octane av gas? Does anyone know how long u can keep race fuel b/4 it loses to much octane to be good?

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
There are a lot of factors, as I'm learning lately, that affect performane in using different fuels like AV and Race gas...

Things like throttle response, cylinder temp, and of course detonation all come into play.

Too much octane in a given application can COST you performance if you don't need it.

Last edited:

rmk727

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2008
SO.DAK
That would be a great read. I remember the grass drag days of yester year w/ the old 700's w/ kehin carbs , the cheaper the gas the quicker the times. Hope to se your input soon.

adam5187

Lifetime Membership
Nov 14, 2009
That would be a excellent read. I know that with higher octane you slow the burn down, and it helps keep pre-ignition at bay witch is very important on a boosted engine, especially with a stock head. I am new to boosting 2 strokes, and I know in a 4 stroke application you can run more advance on your timing with higher octane gas, and gain more power, and lessen the chance of pre ignition (Pinging). On a stock engine lower octane fuel will burn more volitile in the combustion chamber, and with a lower compression ratio putting in higher octane fuel is not giving you more power. Also are you guys turning your oil injection pumps up with boost?

T

TheBreeze

Jul 23, 2008
Sussex, Wisconsin
Higher octane does not necessarily equate to slower burning fuel. In many cases this is true, however it is not a fact across the board. Fuel octane, just like everything else in the motor world is as complicated as you wish to make it it seems.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Here is a good write up on octane on the VP fuels website.

What does octane really measure and how important is it?

One of the most frequently asked technical questions we get at VP involves the difference between Motor, Research and R+M/2 Octane Numbers. The next most frequently asked question is why some fuel companies represent their fuels with Motor Octane Numbers, while other companies use Research or R+M/2 Octane Numbers.

Realize first that octane is a measurement of a fuel’s ability to resist detonation—nothing more. The two types of machines used for testing octane—a Motor Octane machine and a Research Octane machine—were designed in the 1930s. They were designed to test for octane numbers from the 0-100 range, therefore, any number above 100 is an extrapolation.

Both of these machines are dinosaurs and are not adequate for today's high tech fuels or engines, but they’re the only means available for testing fuels. These machines are one-cylinder engines with an adjustable head that can move up or down to increase or lower the compression ratio while the engine is running. The Motor and Research machines are the same in this respect, but they differ in several other characteristics. 

The following is a comparison of the two machines used for testing octane numbers:
---------------------- Motor Octane Machine --------- Research Octane Machine
RPM --------------------------900------------------------------ 600
INTAKE TEMP.---------------300 DEGREES F -----------------120 DEGREES F
TIMING --------------------VARIABLE BASIC------------------FIXED AT 13 DEGREES
(DOES NOT CHANGE)
----------------------------SETTING 26 DEGREES

As you can see, the Motor Octane machine runs at a higher RPM, higher temperature and more timing. This machine puts more stress on the fuel than a Research machine and more accurately simulates a racing engine. VP Racing Fuels always includes Motor Octane Numbers when promoting its fuels because our fuels are used exclusively for racing applications.

The Research Octane machine will always produce a higher number for the obvious reason that it does not put the same amount of stress on the fuel. This number is used by some fuel companies to trick the racer into thinking the fuel is rated higher, i.e., higher quality, than it really is. The “R+M/2” Octane Number is the average of the Research and Motor Octane numbers for a fuel and is the number displayed with yellow labels on retail level gas pumps.

When comparing fuels for racing purposes make sure to compare Motor Octane Numbers because these are the ones that count in your racing application. Focusing on the MON of each fuel will help ensure you’re comparing apples to apples with regard to octane.

But bear in mind, a fuel’s ability to prevent detonation is a function of more than just octane. For example, VP’s fuels—oxygenated or nonoxygenated—vaporize much better than competitive fuels with comparable octane ratings. This means VP fuels cool the intake charge, burn faster and yield more efficient combustion. As a result, the “effective” octane rating of VP’s fuels is even higher than the rating generated by the octane test. As a result, VP fuels will prevent detonation more effectively than competitive fuels with comparable MONs.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Besides octane, what else do I need to consider when selecting a fuel ?

Too often, racers focus only on octane when evaluating the quality of a fuel. Octane is certainly important, but it’s just one of several key fuel properties that should be considered when evaluating and selecting a fuel. It’s entirely possible to generate more horsepower with a lower octane fuel if it’s designed properly with respect to its other key properties. It’s also possible for two fuels to have the same octane rating, but perform very differently due to their other key properties.

1. OCTANE: Octane is simply a rating of a fuel’s ability to resist detonation and/or preignition. It is not so much an indication of a fuel’s ability to make power, but rather a fuel’s ability to make power safely, i.e., without blowing your engine. Octane is rated in Research Octane Numbers (RON), Motor Octane Numbers (MON) and Pump Octane Numbers (R+M/2). A Pump Octane Number is the number you see on the yellow decal at gas stations, representing the average of the fuel’s RON and MON. (See below for a more detailed explanation of how octane numbers are derived and what they represent.)

VP relies on MON numbers because the MON test more accurately simulates racing conditions. Don't be fooled by high RON or R+M/2 numbers. Many companies use these simply because they look higher and are easier to come by because of the test methods. Also bear in mind that the ability of fuel to resist detonation is more than just a function of octane.

2. BURNING SPEED: This is the speed at which fuel releases its energy and is partially a function of a fuel’s vaporization qualities. At high RPMs, there is very little time (real time - not crank rotation) for the fuel to release its energy. Peak cylinder pressure should occur around 20˚ ATDC. If the fuel is still burning after this, it’s not contributing to peak cylinder pressure, which is what the rear wheels see. Because VP’s fuels are designed with a particular focus on vaporization characteristics, most of VP’s fuels—oxygenated or nonoxygenated—vaporize much better than comparable competitive fuels. This means it cools the intake charge, burns faster and yields more efficient combustion. As a result, the “effective” octane rating of VP’s fuels is even higher than the octane test indicates, and they will prevent detonation better than competitive fuels with similar MONs.

3. ENERGY VALUE:
Energy value is an expression of the potential energy in fuel. The energy value is measured in BTUs per pound, not per gallon. The difference is important as the air/fuel ratio is in weight, not volume. Generally speaking, VP’s fuels measure high in BTUs per pound and thus, have a higher energy value. This higher energy value will have a positive impact on horsepower at any compression ratio or engine speed.

4. COOLING EFFECT: The cooling effect of fuel is related to the heat of vaporization. The higher a fuel’s heat of vaporization, the better its ability to cool the intake mixture. The superior vaporization characteristics of VP’s fuels make cooling effect one of their key advantages. A better cooling effect can generate some horsepower gains in 4-stroke engines and even bigger gains in 2-stroke engines. VP’s superior cooling effect can also ensure circle track racers maintain power in the longest races and harshest conditions. In virtually any application, the cooling effect of VP’s fuels will help extend engine life.

Understanding these key properties of fuel will better equip you to evaluate fuels for your application. By clicking on your application to the right,
you’ll find a list of VP fuels designed with you in mind, along with the fuels’ relevant characteristics.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
More (Octane) ISN'T always better!!

Can you "Over-Octane"an engine? If so, what happens?

Yes you can over octane an engine.

Generally you will get sluggish throttle response. Also you may get fouled plugs and deposits in the exhaust ports and headers.

When an engine is trying to burn a fuel that has too much octane, the burn rate is incorrect and all of the fuel won't be used up. This excess usually gets left as a deposit or gets pushed out the exhaust.

It is important to match your engine's needs with the correct fuel.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Motor Octane Number (MON) of AV GAS

I've been diving into the whole Aviation gas thing... trying to learn as much as I can... It takes a bit of digging to find relevant information.

Since I'm a newby to the fuel thing and didn't spend much time on this in my engineering coursework ...I'm definitely open to critique from those in the know.

I was able to find out that the "100" in the 100LL name is actually NOT a standard MON or RON octane number...It is a "Lean Octane Number" (LON) and NOT actually MON (Motor Octane Number)

Conoco-Phillips rates their 100LL fuel at 99.5 "LON".
See this Document for information from Conoco ...CLICK HERE

I did however find another document by Conoco Phillips that actually ran a formal Motor Octane (MON) test on thier same 100LL "AV Gas" when they were working on testing the viability of Aviation Grade Ethanol (AGE). CLICK HERE FOR THIS DOCUMENT... It will open up in a word document.

It shows the results of their MON testing on their 100LL Aviation Fuel.

The Difference in this test is that that they varied the intake temp but found the 100LL to be very stable over a temp gradient... The MON of 100LL in the testing by Conoco-Philips was 104 at the standard 300 degree intake temp used on all other MON testing...

My biggest concern with this fuel is throttle response from the higher evap temps.

As a direct replacement for pump 91... I'm still not sure... for a mod motor with Higher compression or turbo applications... it is growing on me.

I'm starting to wonder if there is any kind of additive that will reduce the Evap temps and improve the throttle response of AV gas.

With the increasingly poor quality of pump gas, the ethanol in today's pump gas that seems to be raising havoc and the relatively cheap price of AV Gas at around $4.60/US Gallon compared to race fuels... The AV Gas is peaking a lot of peoples interest. ...prices from 100LL.com

attachment.php

Conoco MON numbers for 100LL.jpg

Last edited:
T

theshadowrider

Jan 27, 2010
AV GAS

A local gas station sells 105 octane leaded race gas that is very popular for modded dirt bike, four wheelers, and snowmobiles. Guys have been running it for years. After using it with great success I later found out that they just buy avgas, and sell it as race gas for insurance reasons. A seller of avgas has to carrier insurance in-case of a fuel related aircraft accident. Anyways, I have not noticed decrease in throttle response running avgas. A better fuel locater is airnav.com you can put in the local airport and it will give you all the closest airports and fuel prices. This is the nice thing of running avgas, it relatively available.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Anyways, I have not noticed decrease in throttle response running avgas.

Sincere questions..

No decrease compared to running what other fuel?

In what kind of sled/motor/mods/compression ratio?

Are your "before" and "after" throttle response impressions made on the same day?

Thanks for that link to http://www.airnav.com/fuel/local.html... Very easy to use!! $4.45 Self Serve at my local airport.

I really want to "believe" in AV gas... especially since it seems to be not only a higher Octane fuel, but a higher Quality fuel compared to today's "pump" fuels.

With the Radically different Evap temps of AvGas (90% evap @ 275°F) compared to VP110 (90% evap @ 211°F)...Throttle response and piston cooling would be different to SOME degree.

Also, 100LL has a lower heat of combustion at around 18,715 BTU/lb (about the same as E-10 gas)... compared to VP100 or Pump91 at around 18,800 BTU/lb...

100LL and Ethanol added pump 91 have less engergy per unit burned... in comparison, VP C-12 has about 20,500 BTU's/lb.

I need to do more digging to find out about the stability of AV Gas as well... meaning storage longevity.

Last edited:

adam5187

Lifetime Membership
Nov 14, 2009
Thanks for all of the really good info guys, this is a really good post!

T

theshadowrider

Jan 27, 2010
Sincere questions..

No decrease compared to running what other fuel?

In what kind of sled/motor/mods/compression ratio?

Are your "before" and "after" throttle response impressions made on the same day?

Thanks for that link to http://www.airnav.com/fuel/local.html... Very easy to use!! $4.45 Self Serve at my local airport.

I really want to "believe" in AV gas... especially since it seems to be not only a higher Octane fuel, but a higher Quality fuel compared to today's "pump" fuels.

With the Radically different Evap temps of AvGas (90% evap @ 275°F) compared to VP110 (90% evap @ 211°F)...Throttle response and piston cooling would be different to SOME degree.

Also, 100LL has a lower heat of combustion at around 18,715 BTU/lb (about the same as E-10 gas)... compared to VP100 or Pump91 at around 18,800 BTU/lb...

100LL and Ethanol added pump 91 have less engergy per unit burned... in comparison, VP C-12 has about 20,500 BTU's/lb.

I need to do more digging to find out about the stability of AV Gas as well... meaning storage longevity.

Most of my experience has been with four-wheelers and dirt bikes. I ran avgas in a mod. banshee with a high compression head. It always ran great with avgas. I was running avgas to prevent detonation which it never had an always ran great. I plan on running avgas in my boosted sled and I am more sold on it versus race gas. Talking to those that run race gas, one guy in particular, says that he never knows what he is getting with race gas. He said that one particular time he filled up with race gas and he got his det sensor going off. He said he never had this before and had not changed anything. He changed his fuel to avgas and has never had the problem again.

Now I know this is a he said she said story, but I am more sold on running avgas than I am running race gas. I am much more confident on it being consistent than I am with race gas. In the aviation world avgas has always been 100% reliable for me. Now if you are comparing running pump 91 or avgas in a stock sled then I don't have much experience with that.

The only experience I have is one trip I grabbed the wrong gas can. The one I grabbed was 5 gallons of avgas. I was running a stock dragon 08 without the update done to it yet. Ran it one day with a tank of pump 91 and it ran great. I had about 1/4 tank left of fuel in the sled and I added 5 gallons of avgas for the next days outing. Left the same time and same conditions. Now I now that it did mix with the 91, but as far as the avgas I didn't notice any difference from the previous day.

What I have notice a difference in is running ethanol pump 91 with the wires unplugged and running non ethanol with them plugged in.

I just think if you are going to run boost on your sled, instead of mixing 8 parts of this 2 parts of that and hoping your octane is correct, just run all avgas all the time and you can be confident that you will be getting the same stuff, or at least much more consistent than race gas, no matter where you go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Premium Features