• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

BULLSH** POLARIS (ELECTRIC RELAYS IN HARNESS GO BAD FROM WATER INTRUSION)

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
I was a mechanical engineer before I decided to quit and join my displaced mid west family farm operation. People don't understand the never ending battle between engineering, manufacturing, and the bean counters. I guarantee you the reason they have a chinese harness is because of the bean counters. They will sacrifice quality to save pennies on a high volume part. It sucks, but it's the reality of the world we live in.

Supply Chain in Polaris Global Adjacent Markets makes the sourcing decisions. Purchasing agents make the call based on product spec and vendor certification - the way it works in all high volume OEM operations, all following the US OEM automotive model. And as some of you know, 3PL purchasing agents can be outsourced, and may not be employees. The real world is push and pull, and while engineers can build an ultimate sled, few can afford it - how many sleds did CMX ever make, or make now? Wasn't long ago we put $25k US into a sled that would get crushed by stockers today. Light, strong, and cheap, pick any two.

PaulAnd

Premium Member
Oct 17, 2010
Northern IL.
cd2752d3efe24c8f9072632a7e71a570.jpg
e66872f7bc5fd170cdf76b216fab5c5b.jpg

Sorry guys, you can’t have the relays upside down or on their side’s, #1 reason for a relay or connector failure——>water intrusion!
Even if they are water proof!

S

Snopro_69

Mar 25, 2008
Saskatchewan
cd2752d3efe24c8f9072632a7e71a570.jpg
e66872f7bc5fd170cdf76b216fab5c5b.jpg

Sorry guys, you can’t have the relays upside down or on their side’s, #1 reason for a relay or connector failure——>water intrusion!
Even if they are water proof!
Mine are just cut out hanging in the pic cuz I just siliconed them, hadn't tie rapped them back yet. . . . But how come your pic only has one relay...? Did you cut the harness farther back for one??

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

F

FCR112

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 1, 2008
Oh man , I've been doing it all wrong then..always use on contacts & spark plug boots filled with it.

I don’t necessarily fill the connectors with it, but according to the masses on here I’ve been doing it wrong for a decade too... and still haven’t had any electrical problems ymmv...

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com

matchrocket

Premium Member
Mar 2, 2016
Boise
Had the relay for the Display/Exhaust Valves fail on me yesterday. Wasn't carrying spares but Perk was. (Thanks man!)

I had sealed them first thing last season and they finally bit the dust.

Anyway, I'm trying to find replacement spares and everyone is out of stock. The ONLY place I can find any (That don't have insane shipping costs of 40+ for 10 ) is the Panasonic CM1a-R-12V from mouser.

https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Panasonic-Industrial-Devices/CM1a-R-12V?qs=sGAEpiMZZMt98bArVJter7hPxRQf1tRZy54uMJQv4hA%3d

I know SPST will work, but I can't find anything saying guys have ordered/used this particular part. They are 2x the Chinese version so before I order a bunch, I want to make sure they are OKAY.

This is the resistor sealed version.

kylant

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2011
CA
Had the relay for the Display/Exhaust Valves fail on me yesterday.

had the exact same thing happen to me yesterday on a steep climb out of a sketchy area. sled did not have any power, when I looked down I had no display gauge.

at the top of the climb, I looked for obvious causes. I just happened to change the relays (had 3 new ones with me). and, walla, everything back to normal.

I repositioned and sealed them last year. they obviously still fail.

on a side note, are there any fuses on these sleds? if so, where?

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
EASY TO GET RELAYS.

I've been getting a LOT of PM's and emails on this lately... and where to get the relays at a reasonable cost.

I strongly believe that you can use the 871-1A-S-R1-12VDC. (instead of the factory 871-1C-S-R1-12VDC)

The 1A and 1C exact same relay EXCEPT that there is no second pole... which is NOT used on the AXYS Mtn sleds ANYWAY according to the wiring diagram.
See this tech page if you need confirmation of this information.
https://www.mouser.com/ds/2/378/20098291912159610-3428.pdf

If the relay has only 4 wires going input terminals (even if there are some terminals with two wires each)... then you can use this relay as it will be electrically identical to the 1C model.

Mouser HAS 570 of the 871-1A-S-R1-12VDC in stock for $1.42 each :face-icon-small-win

CLICK HERE

WAYTEK has the 871-1A-S-R1-12VDC in stock for $2.55 each
https://www.waytekwire.com/item/75721/Song-Chuan-Micro-Relay-/

If you must have the 871-1C-S-R1-12VDC.... you can get them direct from China through AliExpress (they are made in China anyway)...For $2.01 each with $2 Shipping in 12-20 days.
HECK.... If you wanted to buy 100 of them... you could get them shipped to your door via FedEx in 5 days for $2.38 each.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/871...in-20A-35A-871-1C-S-R1-12VDC/32844463559.html

I believe that all of the AXYS relays are SPDT's...but I believe only used as an N.O. SPST's

87a, pin #4 in the socket is unused on All...so it won't matter if it is a SPDT or SPST... so long as the SPST is a N.O. (Normally Open) configuration.

attachment.php

SPDT
The middle of the three bottom pins is not used (87a)
75723FL.gif

SPST
Notice, no middle pin (87a)
75722FL.gif

Last edited:
S
Sep 9, 2010
Houghton, MI
My gauges are out

Which relay controls the gauge cluster, so I can check that to see if that is my issue also, my dealer told me I need to replace my cluster. My headlights work, my hand warmers work, but nothing on the dash cluster. I have a 600 not an 800 if that makes a difference.

Thank you

Last edited:

matchrocket

Premium Member
Mar 2, 2016
Boise
Which relay controls the gauge cluster, so I can check that to see if that is my issue also, my dealer told me I need to replace my cluster. My headlights work, my hand warmers work, but nothing on the dash cluster. I have a 600 not an 800 if that makes a difference.

Thank you

Every-time I've had issues with my gauge cluster, my Exhaust Valves were not working either. I believe they are on the same relay.

There are two relays zip-tied to the bulkhead close to where the EGT sensor is on the pipe.

One of these two relays has a jumper wire in the bottom of the block. This wire loops back into itself (makes a U) . This is your EV Relay.

There are not other specific identifying markers I can provide. Mine are wrapped up right now or I'd get a picture.

I THINK the other one is your oil pump relay, and the one above the clutch cover is the load shed. But am not positive on those.

S

Snopro_69

Mar 25, 2008
Saskatchewan
Not positive but don't think the relay is the main power. . . That would be a stupid system if true

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

Premium Features