• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Diagnosis

What to say to a friend who says he warmed up his sledd then went for a rip and it stopped. He then pulled the starter cord and thought it seemed stiff so he looked it over a bit then pulled the cord gently a few minits later to see if it turned over and it did.he loaded the sled and brought it home.
All I could think of was pull the spark plugs and see if one looked grey or different than the other possibly bits of aluminum on it. After that do a compression test and look for spark.
To me it would seem if it quit then was hard to turn over them a few min later seemed like normal tension pulling it over - ceased piston.
Any one got any other ideas? I know this guy warms up his sled to 100 or so before riding it and doesn't run it hard right away.

RoostinRyan

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2013
Yakima, WA
What to say to a friend who says he warmed up his sledd then went for a rip and it stopped. He then pulled the starter cord and thought it seemed stiff so he looked it over a bit then pulled the cord gently a few minits later to see if it turned over and it did.he loaded the sled and brought it home.
All I could think of was pull the spark plugs and see if one looked grey or different than the other possibly bits of aluminum on it. After that do a compression test and look for spark.
To me it would seem if it quit then was hard to turn over them a few min later seemed like normal tension pulling it over - ceased piston.
Any one got any other ideas? I know this guy warms up his sled to 100 or so before riding it and doesn't run it hard right away.
Sounds like a seizure to me. I had a 4 wheeler do that. Once it would cool a bit it would pull over again. I would be willing to bet it would show with a compression test.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Today it's inside the shop getting looked over , the spark plugs look good and they both spark and have no aluminum on them. The zap strap holding the tss was kind of loose but holding the pin in the sled fired up and ran without knocking or excessive vibration.
It may have been a nervous Pusey tug on the rip cord after it died? But to the question is why did it die while out riding yesterday? I better study up the TSS

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
pull the power valves out and look in you can see the piston top and front and back of the cylinders

Premium Features