• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Sled used to have turbo, what to look out for?

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
So this past weekend my dad went down to Wyoming and bought a used 2017 axys from a dealer. It's in overall pretty good shape, but when I was looking it over today i noticed a Boondocker plate on the front right footwell area. I didn't think much of it, figured it was just a brace, but then it dawned on me that the boondocker turbos have the exhaust exit there. I put my hand up underneath, and sure enough, there was a hole cut out under the plate. I would have gone with him to look at it but i couldn't make down there, and he's not one who really knows what to look for with these.

Haven't contacted the dealer yet about them lying to my dad about the sled, and i feel like it won't go anywhere with it being used, so I'm wondering what i should check on it since it used to be turbo'd. Another worry is that the warranty won't do us any good if something goes wrong with it due to it having permanent evidence of a turbo.... hoping he didn't get screwed on this deal

20171211_173039.jpg

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
It would be interesting as to what they told him or if he even asked "if it previously had a turbo"???

As far as what to check, kinda depends on the miles to start with??

Just to name a few,
Belt - obvious wear, probably replace
Primary - new spring and check over the weight bushings and clean it up
Secondary - new spring and maybe check what helix is in there and clean it
Reeds - check for chips or cracks
Rear suspension - check it over, grease real good.
Check the airbox / intake and make sure everything was put back together correctly.
Double check wires and other lines and make sure nothing is rubbing or worn.

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
I doubt he asked about a turbo, not something I'd even think to ask honestly unless i saw something that raised a red flag (which when i did, it was too late)
They showed him the little dings it had, not bad at all, but the guy who made the deal in the end (not the guy we had talked to originally) didn't know anything about the sled. All he could find out from the him was that some guy from Iowa buys a sled from them every year and rides it in Wyoming, then trades it in on a new one.

It has 769 miles on it. Last night when my dad showed it to me, it wouldn't idle on its own until it was completely warm (which it didn't do at the dealer or when he unloaded it from the pickup)
So i was thinking bad gas or possibly tps.

Today i rode it in the fields around the house and it bogged down bad so i checked the plugs and one was fouled. No spares so i grabbed the spares from my sled and threw them in and it ran perfect and idles on its own now at 1700-1800 rpms.

It was dirty from sitting in the dealer's lot so i decided to wash it and that's when i noticed the plate on the tunnel. There was also something sticky on the lower part of each side panel, and I'm willing to bet there used to be Boondocker stickers there

Last edited:
S
Oct 4, 2016
north pole alaska
im not saying its ok that the dealer{or any one for that matter} did not disclose that fact!! but if the compression is equal and good you shouldn't have anything to worry about 800 boosted miles aaaa check normal wear spots and pin that thing. bd kits are plug and play unless the previous owner was riding at sea-level he hade just a little more HP than stock {sea-level HP}in the hills. I think you will be OK :)

R
Feb 29, 2016
I wouldn't buy a Polaris motor in anything without a compression check first. Since the motors are only good for about 1200 miles stock in my experience, one turbo'ed for 800 miles would have me running for the door.

I would do everything in my power to back that deal out for lack of disclosure. If he has to have an Axys, I have a 16 with a new factory motor 200 miles ago, new power valve cable, new motor mounts and a new primary clutch with new spring and weights. Always stock, good for another 1000 miles!

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
Thanks for the replies, i searched the previous owner on Facebook and found a sale post from over the summer. He said the turbo had been on for 400 miles but he just removed it, and the sled had 600 when he posted that. It had a new set of rings when the turbo was removed.

I imagine the dealer we bought it from would honor the warranty if something happened, they actually bought extra warranty for the sled, but it's a 6 hour drive one way. My dad sent an email last night and he's gonna call the guy today and see what they can work out, may be taking it back next weekend since this was going to be one he planned on keeping a long time.

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
Should be fine, we run turbos from day one with thousands of miles with zero issues. Make sure it was properly put back to stock with all the proper clutching and ride it. Or add a turbo since its ready for it!

M
Feb 21, 2016
Bend, Oregon
The fact that it had a turbo on it doesn't bother me, the fact that they failed to disclose that it did does. I'm sure that if that had been disclosed to your father prior to him purchasing he would not have.

If he does keep it, I would replace the reeds now and pistons this summer, then ride happily ever after.

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
I think that is messed up that they didn't disclose it had a turbo. Lots of turbo sleds are just fine and run a long time...but it only takes one stupid event to change that. Clutching is definitely suspect...probably ready for primary rebuild...or getting there from what I've seen from clutches. And is definitely tougher on pistons...as has been said, probably a good idea to swap those. That the dealer did rings tells me it was low on compression and they wanted to save money and get it out the door. But compression is more obvious...what else was wrong and less obvious that they didn't fix? I would be pushing back on the dealer to rebuild the clutches and include new pistons at a minimum. If not a full return.

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
Should be fine, we run turbos from day one with thousands of miles with zero issues. Make sure it was properly put back to stock with all the proper clutching and ride it. Or add a turbo since its ready for it!

Thanks, Yeah riding it around clutching seemed good for the stock setup. And that's exactly what i told my dad haha. I rode a turbo sled for the first time this past weekend and i was impressed. It was a 10 lb. Boondocker setup on a 2014 pro, thing was a rocket!

MTsled3

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2012
Belgrade, Montana
The fact that it had a turbo on it doesn't bother me, the fact that they failed to disclose that it did does. I'm sure that if that had been disclosed to your father prior to him purchasing he would not have.

If he does keep it, I would replace the reeds now and pistons this summer, then ride happily ever after.

My thoughts exactly, the main thing we're worried about is warranty in case something does go wrong

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
I would not be be concerned at all if it runs good. I would say majority of people that own turbo sleds give them way more preventive maintenance than normal guy. All this talk about Pistons is getting old very few failures since 13. Most would be to low octane or poor maintenance on sled and or sled riding habits.

Turbotater

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Magic Valley, Idaho
Check the pto end and make sure its true.
The last 2 motors I built 910s on had turbos previously. Both needed the crank trued.
Other than that, others ive had to true had either had a blown belt or grenaded pistons.

R
Feb 29, 2016
I would not be be concerned at all if it runs good. I would say majority of people that own turbo sleds give them way more preventive maintenance than normal guy. All this talk about Pistons is getting old very few failures since 13. Most would be to low octane or poor maintenance on sled and or sled riding habits.

Or the crank seals going because of the lightweight crank... I would be willing to bet it was a bad PTO crank seal that took out the piston on my Axys. May have been caused by the gates belt exploding but it went 8-900 miles after that. I also read about a leaking mag seal here and Polaris has updated the crank seals for 18. The pistons are fine for the turbo I don't think the extra pressure helps the weak bottom end any though.

aksledjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2014
Alaska
Agreed on the turbo guys doing thorough preventative maintenance.
1800 miles on my turbo sled and it's been boosted from day 1. Currently on the same clutch belt for the last 1300 miles as well. Probably going to blow now that I said that though ha.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
I agree... If the compression checks out.. don't worry about the pistons.

For the clutch... Make sure it has been put back to NON turbo specs for weights and springs, helix.

The biggest worry is the warranty.... If your father bought the sled and they told him it still had warranty left.... then you need to address that NOW with the dealer should a problem arise in the future, find out what they will do for you and get it in writing. If there is a warranty-type of repair needed, the factory will probably raise a 'stink' about coverage and may very well deny any claims that they feel could have been affected by the turbo install.

Did they re-install the snow-deflector in front of the exhaust outlet?
Are the toe-kick panels put back correctly and complete?
Was the oil pump properly bled following the removal?
Was the coolant hose put back to stock and not cut?
Is the airbox support bracket still mounted in the sled?
Have the ignition coils been put back to stock bracket?
Is the hole plugged for the TBAP sensor?

The telltale hole in the tunnel is a big reason for Polaris to deny any warranty claims.

Here is the link for the BD-sidekick instructions.... maybe look through that and check the sled out based on what you see in the instructions.

http://www.boondockers.com/media/wy...allation/AXYS_Sidekick_TurboSystemInstall.pdf

Premium Features