• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

BURNT UP STATOR CONNECTOR, CAUSES AND SOLUTIONS??

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Murph, do you think running an accessory of that power source like a blow hole would help use up some power/ heat to keep that connection cool? Is it possible to tap in to that system without hurting any components?

That is exactly what I am thinking of doing. I need to order the connector for the E-start harness because that will have leads for the battery charge. My plan is to use the Battery charge circuit to power a blow hole. I already have the blow hole, I just need to wire it up.

Hoping that pulls enough power to keep the heat under control.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
I'd lean more towards the load shedding ability of the cheap 'Shunt' Style VR that is used on that side of the system.

In this day/age.... Polaris still doesn't use the better VR's that are available, Like the Shindegen SH847 series (switching) VR... I assume for cost savings and what the production/accounting team feel is appropriate for the vehicle.

HMM... I've had quite of a few of the burnt yellow wire connector photos sent to me as well. Something worth paying attention to. The heat required to burn a connector housing like that is considerable.

Surely, as Murph mentions... the old school unsealed Yazaki 250 connectors, with bare (untinned) brass terminals also are VERY suspect here... There is really not a good contact area, nor consistent tension on the connector, which fades even more as the terminal gets hot and softens.... a slippery slope for a connector. There are MUCH better production alternatives for this connector out there that are cost effective. (MetriPack 630's come to mind :face-icon-small-win)

Unfortunately, I’ve seen the yellow yellow wires melt together in a LOT of the Axys that I own and work on. It’s a 14.5 VDC circuit that supplies power to

load shed relay coil/PWR
Battery charge relay
Head lights
Hand/thumb warmer
Passenger warmers (if equipped)

Between the headlights being low draw LEDs and the circuit having the capacity to power passenger warmers— I think the voltage regulator might struggle to keep up and that plug melts— OR...

Or it COULD be the blade and spade connection in there is slightly loose and is arcing causing heat and the plug melting...

I still haven’t found a definitive cause yet.

Last edited:
S

snobyrd

Nov 27, 2007
northeast bc
My dealer found this while pulling my motor out, pol is replacing my whole wiring harness and stator.

Attachments

• Resized_20171213_113432.jpg
    Resized_20171213_113432.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 72

Turbotater

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Magic Valley, Idaho
I know a guy that's parted out many Axys 800s. He told me to watch that connector as every one he's parted out was burnt.
He even had one with less than 200 miles on it burnt and none were high mileage.

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
So here is a question..... Is this happening only on NON ES Models?
Thinking along the lines that just maybe the ES harness addition on the ES equipped sleds will pull the load off; and not toast with the build up resistance.?
I understand/and agree with the water issue on the stator connector-

I was speaking With regards to Murphs comment on the connector in the bag

Dunno just fishing here

Last edited:

gtwitch

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2011
Laramie, Wyoming
years ago had this happen on the stator wires 9my own sled at that time) and my solution was to get rid of the connector and just solder the wires together with heat shrink on them and I still have the sled 07 700 Dragon as a family loaner and it is still going with no problems (rode it last week) and if I have to change a stator or other problems, well, I know how to un solder them!!
gtwitch in wyoming

S
Oct 4, 2016
north pole alaska
so is it just water getting in the plug that's causing the problem or is it just the plug that is a faulty part? if its just water indigestion that's a easy enough problem to take care of with a little dielectric grease and a few squirts of the right stuff {or silicone if that suites you} and then wrap it in a Velcro bag to keep the majority of the snow/water away from the plug all together

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
I put a tip tie around that connector when my sled was new. It had a little bit of play, almost like the tab to hold them together was made wrong.

Premium Features