• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2016 800 Axys RMK Turbo coolant bottle bubbling issue?

H
Jun 5, 2016
Sheridan WY
I have a 2016 Polaris Axys 800 RMK with TSS Turbo running on 50/50 race/prem gas. I recently blew or thought I blew a head gasket recently. My turbo got a vacume line hole in it causing my air/fuel ratio to get thrown off whuch in turn caused a bad DET issue. I pulled plugs and noticed coolant/water on the plugs, plus my coolant tank was bubbling after being ran. So I just replaced all the head Gaskets/O-rings and went up to try it out. I fixed my DET issue but my coolant tank was still bubbling after being ran hard. NOTE: The coolant tank would only bubble after sled was shut off for a couple minutes and the engine heated up with no coolant circulation. As long as the engine was running it wouldn't do it. I'm also not losing any coolant which stumps me on the whole issue. All I know is that it never did it before, and I can't figure out what is causing it to happen. The only other thing I can think of is when I drained the coolant for the head gasket swap, I never got the coolant bled all the way. But the engine doesn't heat up when running, which generally means air in coolant. My next thing was draining all the coolant and replacing with new. Any ideas/Info on this would be great, I'm at a total loss and am open to all suggestions?

Last edited:

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
I have a 2016 Polaris Axys 800 RMK with TSS Turbo running on 50/50 race/prem gas. I recently blew or thought I blew a head gasket recently. My turbo got a vacume line hole in it causing my air/fuel ratio to get thrown off whuch in turn caused a bad DET issue. I pulled plugs and noticed coolant/water on the plugs, plus my coolant tank was bubbling after being ran. So I just replaced all the head Gaskets/O-rings and went up to try it out. I fixed my DET issue but my coolant tank was still bubbling after being ran hard. NOTE: The coolant tank would only bubble after sled was shut off for a couple minutes and the engine heated up with no coolant circulation. As long as the engine was running it wouldn't do it. I'm also not losing any coolant which stumps me on the whole issue. All I know is that it never did it before, and I can't figure out what is causing it to happen. The only other thing I can think of is when I drained the coolant for the head gasket swap, I never got the coolant bled all the way. But the engine doesn't heat up when running, which generally means air in coolant. My next thing was draining all the coolant and replacing with new. Any ideas/Info on this would be great, I'm at a total loss and am open to all suggestions?

I'd keep an eye on it. From a cold start up does the coolant lines get hard? As in not squishy and that there is pressure built up? If it does then still could be a head gasket/oring leak issue.

If it's just bubbling and no pressure, no coolant loss, perhaps some air but it would only take 1 ride to make that go away.

S
Oct 4, 2016
north pole alaska
only times I have seen the coolant bottle bubble were from overheating and you said you weren't and bad head gasket maybe your head got a small warp or you just got a funny gasket\peace of the old gasket left that is preventing the proper seal. hade a buddies sled act that way for a few weeks after a new top end at first no coolant loss just air bubbles in the bottle but after a bit coolant started to go low and get in the cylinders it was just a pinched/nicked O ring gasket. if that air is getting to the bottle its getting out the system and if it just keeps coming than it's not trapped but its getting in somewhere and if the coolant doesn't go low it would leave me to believe its getting forced in at a higher pressure than it takes to force water out! {the only place that I can think that would occur is the combustion chamber witch leads to the head-gasket} hope that helps good luck highmark!

H
Jun 5, 2016
Sheridan WY
Thanks for the info/thoughts on the issue. I haven't checked the hoses to see if they are hard or soft at a cold start up but Ill check that the next time I run it.

I have also checked the head when I pulled it for the head gasket/O-Ring change. Nothing was warped, everything was perfectly flat and straight.

Also I was just thinking if it truly was a head gasket issue wouldn't I be able to see the coolant tank bubbling when the sled is running and not just when I shut it down? I took the cap off and let it run after running the sled to operating temp, and I could not see any bubbling while engine is running. Just after about 3 minutes after being shut down. This is what is really confusing me.

I know on cars and trucks that I have seen with head gaskets being blown the coolant overflow tank/radiator would bubble while engine is running with the cap off.

I was also considering maybe trying a head gasket repair liquid, but it makes me nervous because I've hear horror stories about people blowing coolant hoses off. Plus I'm not sure the water pump on a sled would be able to handle the same type of stress as on a vehicle? Any Thoughts?

Last edited:

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
My turbo pro did the same, bubbled when shut off only, never lost coolant and the coolant temp was normal. Never had an issue for the few years I ran it

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Dont add any kind of sealer to the system.

You may not even have a problem.... you dont want to create one!

Anytime you have the cooling system apart its going to take some time to get all the air out of the system. Air gets trapped in the tunnel coolers and is hard to get out. It helps running the sled with the front end raised up.

It might take several heat cycles to get the air worked out of the system. If your not overheating or having to add a bunch of coolant I would just keep an eye on it. You may have to add a small amount of coolant as the air gets worked out.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Pull it into the shop.

Get the skis up off the ground a foot or 18".

Pull the coolant cap.

Open the bleed screw on the head.
Does it bleed?

Pour a little coolant into the bottle.
Does the bleed screw produce any antifreeze?

sledhead9825

Lifetime Membership
Nov 4, 2013
Pull it into the shop.

Get the skis up off the ground a foot or 18".

Pull the coolant cap.

Open the bleed screw on the head.
Does it bleed?

Pour a little coolant into the bottle.
Does the bleed screw produce any antifreeze?

Plus bounce the rear of the sled to push out airlocks

Premium Features