• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

My running-board foot-loop injury: Who else has had their foot stuck in the footwell?

Have you had problems with your boots getting trapped in your Polaris ProRide or AXYS

• Total voters

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
TTT. This thread has turned into just as much of an ortho ward thread. Really sorry you got hurt, I almost did twice last winter, second time I literally had to have my buddy lift me back up onto my sled before I could get my foot unstuck. :face-icon-small-con: :rofl: Bad design imo, and I still like tucking my feet in there when on trail, so the plate that limits that is out. I call B+M on Friday, and he said he hasn't gotten around to designing or making one yet. A little disappointed, with all the AXYS's that have been getting sold, I'm hoping someone comes out with one like now.

It's very obvious it's not going to happen for us this pre season .... been way to long asking .. there are options out there but. It Is not what some of us were hoping for..
careful this years guys -I for one do NOT want it to happen again:face-icon-small-con

W
Sep 7, 2016
Jackman Maine
It's very obvious it's not going to happen for us this pre season .... been way to long asking .. there are options out there but. It Is not what some of us were hoping for..
careful this years guys -I for one do NOT want it to happen again:face-icon-small-con

Im thinking about just bringing my sled to a fab shop who can weld aluminum. Cut and re mount an inch higher would make all the difference. I honestly don't wanna do any off trailing with this thing until I get that flaw fixed.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Im thinking about just bringing my sled to a fab shop who can weld aluminum. Cut and re mount an inch higher would make all the difference. I honestly don't wanna do any off trailing with this thing until I get that flaw fixed.

The key being a welder who is well versed in TIG welding aluminum. There are a lot of hacks out there that claim they can weld it, but the reality is few really do weld enough of it to be worthy of your trust and $. Even the stock Polaris welds are sub-par IMO though.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
After cutting mine and moving them up, if i were to start over I would cut a 16" long 2x2 piece of wood to slip up through the running board and notch the top so it grabs the hoop right at the 90 degree bend.

Then jump up and down on that running board til the hoop is bent up 1/2" at the 90 degree turn.
The tubing will bend with a concentrated force at that point.

Problem solved.

A
After cutting mine and moving them up, if i were to start over I would cut a 16" long 2x2 piece of wood to slip up through the running board and notch the top so it grabs the hoop right at the 90 degree bend.

Then jump up and down on that running board til the hoop is bent up 1/2" at the 90 degree turn.

Problem solved.
Worth trying for sure.
Great thinking

idahosledder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho

Problem solved.

So do you think a quick shock to bend this would be better than a slow force like a portapower/frame rack set up?

I will have to pick some engineer brains tomorrow at work, but I am guessing the tubing should bend fine without any stress cracks either way.

Definitely worth looking into.
Hopefully I will have the sleds in the shop soon.
Hopefully soon.
Sigh.

W
Sep 7, 2016
Jackman Maine

Problem solved.

Aggressive. :face-icon-small-hap Can you heat the aluminum and perhaps bend it up with some well placed leverage? 1 inch would do the trick imo.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
So do you think a quick shock to bend this would be better than a slow force like a portapower/frame rack set up?

I will have to pick some engineer brains tomorrow at work, but I am guessing the tubing should bend fine without any stress cracks either way.

Definitely worth looking into.

Hopefully I will have the sleds in the shop soon.

Hopefully soon.

Sigh.

Could use a cheap floor jack.....
Or port o power or whatever.

Or lay 2x4's on the running board in a stack til its high enough to use one as a lever......

Its a very simple process with uncle lever involved.

Just leave the stepson hammertime jack out of it........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Since most all of the formed aluminum Polaris uses in the chassis is 5052. Which is alloyed specifically to make forming it easy. Bending it is no problem, it doesn't care whether it's done fast or slow. No heat is ever needed with 5052. If you get too aggressive with it it will kink, so spread the load out over an inch or so of the tubes surface and massage it up to where you like it.

If you want to get fancy you can drill a hole the OD of the tube in a 2x and then cut it thru the centerline of the drilled hole. Put the saddle you just made where you want to apply the force to make your bend. That way you will not deform or flatten the tube where you are applying the bend force.

FWIW

Last edited:

B&M Fabrications

SnoWest Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Aug 3, 2011
North Branch, MN
www.bmfabrications.com

The problem we have is that we cannot keep up with production of current items. Every year we learn how to produce more and more and we still can't keep up. Ironically, Polaris with out a doubt makes the best factory board by far and then trapped it with a tight foot hoop. We still build more boards for the axys than anything else right now, probably due to it's raised toe hoop and a more rigid platform. A foot hoop mod is on the list for sure but we haven't even been able to get an axys in the shop since before September because we are too busy. I will do my best to get an option on the table asap. All of us work long hours and mostly 7 days a week right now trying to get ahead..ha

Bryan

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
The problem we have is that we cannot keep up with production of current items. Every year we learn how to produce more and more and we still can't keep up. Ironically, Polaris with out a doubt makes the best factory board by far and then trapped it with a tight foot hoop. We still build more boards for the axys than anything else right now, probably due to it's raised toe hoop and a more rigid platform. A foot hoop mod is on the list for sure but we haven't even been able to get an axys in the shop since before September because we are too busy. I will do my best to get an option on the table asap. All of us work long hours and mostly 7 days a week right now trying to get ahead..ha

Bryan,
I understand, and am also burning the candle at both ends at my shop-catching up with the winter demand.
I already ordered a set of your boards for the Axys
( Semi Gloss wanted the LTD Boards) to keep from injury this season-
I also know your boards sheds more snow than the factory boards- that which completely suck, allowing snow to accumulate on the foremost rear, and creep forward through out the day....

I have many sales for your toe foot hoop fix for the Axys, when you get caught up- and start kicken' them out. Yeah it will put me further behind again installing them- but that's a good thing $$ .

Thank you and your Team for turning out such outstanding products...:peace:

S/C

Last edited:
B
Mar 1, 2009
I use a grinder and smooth up first 3 rows of board lugs . Makes a huge diff in how easy foot comes out. Done it to 3 pros and to my new axys.

idahosledder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
I use a grinder and smooth up first 3 rows of board lugs . Makes a huge diff in how easy foot comes out. Done it to 3 pros and to my new axys.

This has crossed my mind many times.
Seems counter intuitive to defeat the purpose of the boards, but I think with your foot locked in the hoop you really dont need the traction as much anyway.

06redrevx

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2008
Well, my season ended early Saturday when my right foot got caught in the toe loop, fracturing the fifth metatarsal. I try to ride back from the loops but it can't always be avoided. I see the orthodo Thursday and I. Hoping no surgery. This is really a bad and dangerous design!

Premium Features