• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Another Baofeng Thread: BF-F8HP vs UV-82HP?

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
Both are spec'd to cover the same frequencies and now have the same output ratings (8W VHF/7W UHF). https://baofengtech.com/comparechart

The BF-F8HP has a bigger 2100mAh battery versus the UV-82HP with 1800mAh battery. I'd be using a BTech mic, and can add an antenna if needed. My buddies use BCA and they work OK if nearby (they love them, I find the range inadequate), but I'm also on SAR and would like a radio with more range and flexibility.

Any real differences for a sledding radio? Input is appreciated. Thanks.

blastco2

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2012
se idaho
I would use the f8hp with the 7 inch baofeng antenna and a counterpoise.
I have tried many different antennas, the 7 inch baofeng always works the best.
The f8hp has the bigger batt and more accessories available.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

blastco2

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2012
se idaho
The btech mic is a really good choice.

But 2 of the radios and give one to a BCA user to try....
He will likely switch....

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Both are spec'd to cover the same frequencies and now have the same output ratings (8W VHF/7W UHF). https://baofengtech.com/comparechart

The BF-F8HP has a bigger 2100mAh battery versus the UV-82HP with 1800mAh battery. I'd be using a BTech mic, and can add an antenna if needed. My buddies use BCA and they work OK if nearby (they love them, I find the range inadequate), but I'm also on SAR and would like a radio with more range and flexibility.

Any real differences for a sledding radio? Input is appreciated. Thanks.

Speaking as an Extra-Class HAM, NOTHING beats POWER and ANTENNA..
Consider this one instead.

http://qrznow.com/baofeng-uv9r-plus-waterproof-dual-band-fm-vhf-uhf/

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2PC...2800mAh-Battery-UHF-VHF-Dual/32839869039.html

Baofeng-Waterproof-Walkie-Talkie-Dual-Band-FM-Transceiver-10KM-VHF-UHF-Baofeng-CB-Radio-Baofeng-UV9R.jpg

Baofeng UV9R Plus

Product parameters
Frequency Range: VHF 136-174,UHF 400-520MHz
Theoretical communication distance: 10 km
Power: 15WATTS
Battery: Polymer lithium battery
Battery: 8000 mAh
Weight: 0.5kg
Size: 12*6*4cm

Last edited:
S
Nov 5, 2014
Speaking as an Extra-Class HAM, NOTHING beats POWER and ANTENNA..
Consider this one instead.

http://qrznow.com/baofeng-uv9r-plus-waterproof-dual-band-fm-vhf-uhf/

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2PC...2800mAh-Battery-UHF-VHF-Dual/32839869039.html

Baofeng-Waterproof-Walkie-Talkie-Dual-Band-FM-Transceiver-10KM-VHF-UHF-Baofeng-CB-Radio-Baofeng-UV9R.jpg

Baofeng UV9R Plus

Product parameters
Frequency Range: VHF 136-174,UHF 400-520MHz
Theoretical communication distance: 10 km
Power: 15WATTS
Battery: Polymer lithium battery
Battery: 8000 mAh
Weight: 0.5kg
Size: 12*6*4cm

Looks awesome.
Did you buy one off this link you attached?
Its only showing 8W........

Sent from my FRD-L14 using Tapatalk

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
S
Nov 5, 2014
There are a PILE of links to ALI...
https://pt.aliexpress.com/item/Baof...108.1000016.1.6d286172fe0PKp&isOrigTitle=true

But this is brand new.
Not even listed on the manufacturer's page yet.
Saw it on QRZ but i am not sure it is actually shipping or not yet.
Yes great find, I am not seeing the 15W info anywhere except the link you provided.
Must be new.

The link to Alibaba they are showing pictures of the UV-9R nonplus version.
Makes me a little nervous to order.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Yes great find, I am not seeing the 15W info anywhere except the link you provided.
Must be new.

The link to Alibaba they are showing pictures of the UV-9R nonplus version.
Makes me a little nervous to order.
Agreed.
Even the link posted on QRZ to order it takes you back to the 8W version.

R
Oct 24, 2011
I've got a BCA BC-Link and use it as my primary radio, but also keep a
Baofeng UV-82 and an external mic with a long Nagoya Whip antenna in my pack as a backup, spare for extra riders, communicate with Emergency Services, etc.

S
Nov 5, 2014
I've got a BCA BC-Link and use it as my primary radio, but also keep a
Baofeng UV-82 and an external mic with a long Nagoya Whip antenna in my pack as a backup, spare for extra riders, communicate with Emergency Services, etc.
BCA link went in the garbage shortly after I bought it, Boefeng for our whole group.

blastco2

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2012
se idaho
Most of us live in a microwave paradise and have no idea.....

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
I've used the radio quite a bit now. Quick thoughts:
1. Btech mic needs a filter. In good snow, my mic packed with powder and no one could hear me until I blew it out. Added an old piece of intake prefilter and the issue is fixed. Non-issue in mediocre snow, but a 3' day made short work of the functionality.
2. The range is good. I added the counterpoise as suggested to me above and am using the 7" antenna that came with it. I hear other groups that those in my group with BCA's do not. Those same other groups can hear me, and I couldn't hear their sleds whatsoever. Haven't tested for a mileage yet, but no problems so I guess the number itself doesn't really matter.
3. Save the attached PDF to your phone, print it out, memorize it, whatever (if you ride with BCA radio users). Makes dialing in your radio easy.
4. Battery life has been good. Two rides without charge no problem. Haven't tried going longer, but it would likely be fine. Lowest battery seen was down 1 bar, after a long riding day, and that included 3 hours of FM tunes in a safety shelter.
5. I'd buy again. But wouldn't recommend this to someone that wants to charge the battery and go. It took a little time to figure out, but nothing difficult. I bought the programming cable & used Chirp with good success; programmed in Weather channels, local sheriff, local fire. I disabled transmit on those channels..listen only.

Attachments

• BCLink_NAmerica_FrequencyCharts.pdf
    36 KB · Views: 126

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
Eight month update: radio died in late June. Turned on, all looked fine, 10 minutes later went to do a communication check and there was nothing; totally dead. Replaced under warranty, no questions asked (bought from Baofeng Tech, US based distributor). I would have liked to know what failed, but didn't want to crack it open to see & lose my warranty coverage. 5 months of 1-2 times a week use, then once or twice a month for two months, and dead. Not too great. I realize issues happen and glad it was covered but that is rather poor reliability.

Premium Features