• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Boondocker "Sidekick Auto"

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
I'm a pretty mechanical person. I have definitely learned a lot about turbos since I jumped into Turbo sleds. I don't do most my wrenching because I don't have the time but I have had nothing but horrible luck with 2 different BoonDocker kits. I said I would never turbo again. Then the lovely Christopher had me all smoke and mirrored into the MPI kit. Had nothing but early season problems. I figured out what was up after MPI told me I needed to buy their new air box in which I told them I'd rather pull the kit off my sled and shoot it up with my .50 cal before I spend another dime on a kit that doesn't run. I bought the kit from a guy on this forum that thinks he is god's gift to snowmobiling. If you don't believe me just ask him and he will tell you. He wasn't any help either. I got it running good now. I honestly don't have a lot of faith in these guys when you talk to them about their kits. They never seem like much help. Money isn't an really an object for me. I prefer good service and a product that works as advertised. Turbos are for rich people who are expert level riders. I would talk anyone I can out of getting a turbo. 97% of people can't outside a stock sled so they really have no business getting a turbo except to show off they have lots of disposable income.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I've had a bunch of turboes over the years. I've had extremely good luck. Maybe I'm lucky. I've always known people if I couldn't figure it out. Haven't been towed out since my 98 summit x turbo. I've had boondockers, Mc-xpress, and silber. All pretty flawless. There were a couple days they weren't optimal but still ran better than stock sleds. The silber axys, I sold my buddy, will bog or sputter once in a great while. Then it just clears up and runs like a champ 99% of the time. Personally, I think it's a Polaris issue. My 850 silber is flawless. I am not one to have a sled that is supposed to run 7900, run 8400. I open my sleds up when put away so I can check stuff out after each ride. Saved a few ropes.
I will say, a buddy rode my turbo pro. He thought it was awesome. Told him pretty trouble free. He ordered one up and had nothing but trouble. I helped him install and before it was over he was in a hurry and cramming stuff in. Needed to take more time. The other thing is I only keep a sled 1or 2 years. I don't have a spare sled and i don't want to be broke down. Sleds take a beating.
Turboes are for anyone anymore. If you aren't willing to do any of the work yourself, have a spare and have it done by someone reputable.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
No one should ever own a turbo if it is their only sled. They ruin too many days. 1 out of 50 run flawless. Those people are very lucky people and they generally don't ride a lot...

Debating this sort of thing is a bit silly. I can tell you first hand if 1 in 50 turbos ran, do you really think any of these companies would be in business?

Sorry you've had a tough time. I know that MPI kit can run, but it isn't as agile as some of the other stuff out there from an electronics point of view.

You can flip that 1:50 number to 1 out of 50 won't run right for one reason or another (usually very simple reasons), at least with respect to the company I work for. Put the right octane in it. Clutch to your liking. Don't over-rev. Install the kit properly. Make sure your sled is working properly before hand. They are pretty flawless at this point and I'm happy to put up as many videos as you guys like of my sled (and I'm not a pro level mechanic).

I'll even go on record saying prior to Silber I was around plenty of BD kits. Again, if setup right, they also rip.

Are they for everyone? I don't know. That pokes at this whole idea of freedom. As a mountain bike racer, I know 99% of the riders don't get close to the capability of their bike. Does this mean they somehow don't "deserve" it? Heck no. America. I agree that a stock 850 is a crazy capable sled. But I also know I'm not able to ride with the guys I do without boost (and they too are on boost).

I didn't grow up a motorhead. My dad can't even change the sparkplug on his lawn mower. I only mention this to show I don't have this sort of thing "in my blood". So if I can get one running in my garage, I have to think most people can. And if I have fun on one, and it makes me smile, who cares.

If you are ever around JH Chadly, I 100% welcome you to come ride!

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
I don't think you read my post... I didn't say 1 in 50 run. I said run flawless. Turbos are a pain in the butt. I personally have never seen one run flawless. I'll never be the guy that tells someone to buy a turbo. They are high maintenance and high cost and wreck good days. Most guys I have met are in denial about how their sleds run. Living in the backyard of a turbo company and being buddy buddy with them is a massive advantage when owning a turbo but if that's not you then save your money and don't get a turbo.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I only have 300 miles on my 850 and it is flawless. I did fix an antifreeze leak in the field. Pretty minor. If you don't want one don't buy one. Liberal defense. I don't want one so I don't want anyone else to run one.

M

mtn-doo

Feb 26, 2004
Kalispell, Mt
I don't think you read my post... I didn't say 1 in 50 run. I said run flawless. Turbos are a pain in the butt. I personally have never seen one run flawless. I'll never be the guy that tells someone to buy a turbo. They are high maintenance and high cost and wreck good days. Most guys I have met are in denial about how their sleds run. Living in the backyard of a turbo company and being buddy buddy with them is a massive advantage when owning a turbo but if that's not you then save your money and don't get a turbo.

I understand your frustration. Sounds like the daily buzz 10 years ago.
Boondocker will be in Washington doing some Demo's soon. If you've never run a flawless running turbo, pull the rope and ride, it would be a good experience for you. You are welcome to swing a leg over and ride one. Get the true first hand experience and information. No tools or tuning experience required. Even a dentist can enjoy the boost ! Lol
P.m. me for more information. Would be good to see you there.

Premium Features