• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New idea for battery replacement save weight

kinger9

Lifetime Membership
Jan 1, 2009
www.piergenius.com
I got a 54F cap pack off ebay already in a waterproof case and installed it with a Shorai lithium. The cap pack uses capacitors to balance the UCs and i was monitoring voltage drops and it took weeks before it would lose a volt. I wired up mine up with no relay, no plug and will monitor it this year.

c58f48fdda7e99c31a7f4774fee2641b.jpg

A
Nov 5, 2020
I have a 2016 Polaris switchback assault with electric start. I decided to attempt to create an electric start system similar to the new Ski-Doo SHOT system that uses supercapacitors to start the engine. It won't be completely like the Doo system since my sled still has a starter motor but regardless, it will save weight and be cool. First, I plugged in the uncharged supercap setup in place of my battery and pulled the sled to let it run for a few mins to charge the caps up. Tried to start, nothing at all. Decided to charge up the caps to approx 12.5v using the battery and then hook up to sled and try again. With this setup, I was able to hear something cranking and spinning around (assuming the starter motor), but the engine would not start. To make sure I didn't mess anything up, I then tried the electric start with just the battery and it fired up no problem. Any ideas what could be wrong? Why the sled didn't charge up the capacitors? Why the motor would spin but sled doesn't start? Thanks. 62631232394__D98E0A07-CF6C-438E-B788-DCEBD342048B.jpgIMG_8508.jpgIMG-9365.jpg

Premium Features