• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

m1000 ignition issue

S
Dec 7, 2007
Elkhorn NE
Well I am in the eleventh hour of a sled trip and the sled quit running. It is exhibiting the same issue when I tried to start it in the summer, would start but get up to rpm then die, keep pulling it will fire for a few seconds, keep pulling eventually it will back fire really loud. I had it running fine 2 days ago. I had a mice nest that got into the coils and chewed up a wire, I replaced that and it started up fine so I thought I had the issue. I am leaning towards the stator. There are 2 timing pick ups that could possibly be the issue. I am not sure if one of those would mess up the spark. I have the fuel pump and lights, when it ran everything worked. I did check the two spark coils or what ever they called which ohm out correct.

Thanks

S
Dec 7, 2007
Elkhorn NE
update

Well, I have no issue with spark, or fuel pump, The sled will start then slowly die, when I check the voltage at the injectors I will get a 40 to 50 volt spike then 14 or 15 volt reading, It seems to jump around way too much, this is with plugs removed and a moderate pull. When it ran for 30 seconds I shook all the wires and nothing changed. For some reason each injector is losing voltage (I believe) and just not delivering fuel. I do have a pc 3 controller and nothing changes when just hooking up with out. I am going to pull the tps and test, I would imagine if the tps is not the issue then I may be something in the cpu.

S
Dec 7, 2007
Elkhorn NE
It pumps on one pull, I just had gauge on it where the psi was 45, of course it was running fine then, I guess I will have to check and see if pressure fall off after starting, holds 40 psi and still will not run more than a sec or two.

Last edited:

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
Be sure and check all your main harness plugs for moisture also on those m1000 the big while plug will lose vcontact inside the plug and cause alot of weird issues also the vr could be bad as well as the pick up willl not want to let it run i know theres so many things

S
Dec 7, 2007
Elkhorn NE
Thanks for all the reply's, I am going to plan b, new sled so anyone interested in a 09 M1000 send me a pm, I put in new gas and checked the injectors which are fine. So there is something I am missing. Looking at a 2016 maybe a 18 just weighing the pros and cons,..

snownman

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 11, 2007
Did you...

Pull the bottom belly cover off and check the main chassis ground on the rear exhaust side under the engine. I have seen the grounds loose many times and it will give a lot of problems to everything electrical.

S
Dec 7, 2007
Elkhorn NE
Pull the bottom belly cover off and check the main chassis ground on the rear exhaust side under the engine. I have seen the grounds loose many times and it will give a lot of problems to everything electrical.

yep you are right I did find that the original ground broke from the connector, funny thing is it ran fine with it not attached. I have a pc3 that is grounded so maybe that was enough to ground system. I am thinking a voltage regulator. But who knows at this point.

snownman

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 11, 2007
broken ground...

Yea i have had them run fine then just get an erratic miss or loose fuel pressure or sometime just not run at all...

S
Dec 7, 2007
Elkhorn NE
Still not running, although I have not been trying too hard to find issue. So here is what I know, the sled on a pull has, spark, fuel, injectors current, lights. As soon as it starts it shuts off. When I poured gas in spark plug holes it does not change a thing that tells me spark and gas are shutting off. I have some more wires to check, and I can pull a voltage regulator off a proclimb to test. Would a dealer be able to plug in and do a diagnostic check? I am afraid that may be my next play.

Premium Features