• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2007 M1000 locked clutches??

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
Between a Rock and a Hard Place
Rode with a guy saturday with an 07 M1000 and the primary seemed to have locked closed which locked the secondary open. With what tools I had I tried getting something to pop free but nothing. Weights and rollers are all loose, only thing I can come up with is that something stuck in the primary and locked it closed?? Don't know jack about AC clutches. Left it on the hill and the guy is trying to run down a new primary to take back up and put on. Could it be anything else?

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
I would suspect cracked/broken spider or something wedged between the sliding surfaces (either clutch center or clutch towers).

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
This happened to my on my 2007 M1000. Broken spider...wedges the primary clutch to a shifted-out position and holds the secondary open. Needs new primary.

If the secondary was stuck, you would simply have a very loose belt when the primary opened back up with lower RPMs.

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
Between a Rock and a Hard Place
This happened to my on my 2007 M1000. Broken spider...wedges the primary clutch to a shifted-out position and holds the secondary open. Needs new primary.

If the secondary was stuck, you would simply have a very loose belt when the primary opened back up with lower RPMs.

Exactly my thinking! THanks!

Phizzer

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2008
Ketchikan, AK
I would suspect cracked/broken spider or something wedged between the sliding surfaces (either clutch center or clutch towers).

Agreed. I would be making sure a piece of belt cord or something weird like that was stopping the primary from shifting. Did you pull the secondary off and the belt? I've had to pull the primary cover off on the hill before to remove a piece of cord that worked its way into the bushing.

Premium Features