• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Yamaha Nytro 2012 MTX 162 SE Fox Float 2 Settings

E
Jan 15, 2013
Hi, I am new to the snowmobile world and I promise that I've searched and googled before posting. Last year I purchased a 2012 Nytro MTX SE 162 with the MPI Turbocharger. Because of work schedule I took it out once, Didn't like the steering geometry, brought it back home and Installed the Black Diamond steering column and riser. Took it out again and seemed that I was fighting air pressure problems. From what I read in multiple places, Yamaha published a chart somewhere that gave base line air pressure settings based on rider weight and cargo load. Based on the shop manual, Fronts are recommended at 75psi, and on the skid Front shock at 50psi and skid rear shock on the skid at 150psi.

My Question: Does anyone here have the referenced suspension tuning chart based on rider weight/cargo weight? Second part of the question, is what have people run and have had success.

I fully realize that this is a very open ended question and that some would say that snowmobile suspension tuning is a black science. There has to be some knowledge out there and my hope would be that someone would share some of it to get me pointed in the correct direction.

Thanks in advance.

tmk50

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2001
Brighton, Colorado
My advice would be to start with that baseline setting and ride it a few times. Take the pump out of the tool kit and put it in your backpack if you want to try adjustments mid-day.

IMO settings are more dependent on how you ride rather than your weight and the weight of the sled (it is a combination of all). If you do a lot of off trail riding, sidehilling, etc. you may want the shocks to compress differently then if you ride trails, bumps, etc.

If I remember right - I think my fronts are at 55-60# and the rear is set about where the manual suggested (maybe a bit higher with the turbo and my rear mounted root-pax)

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
Make sure you take measurements with skis OFF THE GROUND. Same with rear tip it on its side enough to get load off skid shocks but not enough to have oil run out...lol. Start with like 80 pounds in the front shocks and lower 5 lbs a time and ride until it gets worse and go back up 5lbs.

Go slow and small increments as a you can be only a little off and have bad handling. Seems most Yamahas and especially the Nytro can be only a little off and be terrible riding. Spent an afternoon getting girlfriends set and wrote it down to keep there. When you finally hit the sweet spot you will be surprised.

E
Jan 15, 2013
Thanks, for the advise. I have the sled on the trailer and plan to head to Island park tomorrow and spend a bit of time adjusting.

I'll let you guys know how we end up.

Thanks for taking the time to respond!

bholmlate

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2009
Reno, Nevada
I found that 65 PSI in the fox floats up front seemed to work well for me. I have read a few other people have found the 65 PSI works for them as well. Any less the sled seemed to wallow a lot and any more then that made the front end too stiff for me. Geared up i am pushing 250 lbs.

I had the original float shocks on an '08. I am running a TS rear skid. with 95 in the middle shock and rear shock is 145 PSI but it has been revavled. I think this year going to try to run the middle shock a little lower maybe 80-85 to see if that hurts perfomance or helps. the Float shocks are a little tricky to tune because the air shock is really progressive.

R

Ridgeback71

Nov 18, 2013
Liberty Lake WA
I'm heading to Island Park tomorrow as well! Have 2 2011 MTX 153's and will be doing the same thing. If you see a guy telling his wife to hold up the skid a little longer while he adjusts his PSI, that would be me! I was hoping I could adjust on the fly; we'll see.

Premium Features