• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Easiest way to replace a bad hand-warmer?

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
Ok, my next gremlin for this season, lol.... my left hand hand warmer is bad. I checked power at the connector and there is power to the pigtail on all 3 settings (low, medium and both together) and the right hand warmer and thumb warmer are both working great, no loss of power indicated on the display or anywhere else, she's running great, no shorts (knock on wood). I took my lefty off to check for a possible chaffed wire and all is good, the warmer is just 'dead'.

Any tips on how to get the new one on there? I have never replaced one myself.... figured I would just cut the old one off.

S

sw

Sep 10, 2009
Minnesota
Leftest is the easiest, take out 4 torx screws (note their location) in brake assembly. Separate two halves and let it dangle. Remove grip using compressed air, peel off old warmer, unplug it, then plug in new one, stick it on bars. Slide grip back on using whatever you have, grip glue, contact cement, spray paint etc. Reassemble brake housing taking care to route wires back in the recesses of housing. Done!

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
Cool, thanks

I am a little confused, I was under the impression that these grip heaters were a 1-piece unit, not a separate 2-piece heater and grip like on my old '02 edge system. The 900 uses a 2-piece system from the factory also?

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
Ok, 1 more question as I haven't had a chance to do this yet....:face-icon-small-blu

How do I apply the compressed air? Do I need to get the basketball inflating needle gizmo to get it under the grip or how?

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
Wierd, sounds like you may have a short somewhere or something....

I got my left grip replaced and everything is hunky-dory, the rubber tip blow gun worked good with a little persistence. Thanks for the tips:beer;

D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Bump
I just re-visited this thread as my left warmer died on my Pro late last year, and I'm out replacing it now! Pretty straight forward job, I just hope the Scott mx grip glue stands up to winter abuse. There did not appear to be any glue between the element and the grip when I took it apart.

Premium Features