• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2020 Freeride

XtDoo

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Pearl City Illinois
Has anybody rode the 2020 Freeride? All the hype on the expert nobody talks about the new freeride. I am debating between an expert or a freeride. Only got 3 days left. I like the blue color. I have the slim waterproof bag with shovel that I wouldn't mind still carrying. Dave Norona says it doesn't fit on expert in 2 and 3 with gas can. If expert is that much better I'd rather get it??? I have a 2017 165 x now. Any ride reports would be great.

kyinwa

Lifetime Membership
Nov 3, 2011
washington
I am in your same boat coming from an 18 summit x and I deliberated for days on whether or not to get the freeride or the expert. I ended up going with the expert as I don't do big jumps and I figured it would be a better fit for me even though I really wanted that blue color.

No ride report, just had to make a decision and time was running out. :)

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
I ordered the Freeride for a few reasons:

That amazing blue color;

It has the new running boards like the Expert;

It has great shocks like the Expert, but more adjustable;

It has the new spindles, skis, and ski dampers like the Expert;

It doesn't have the shorter tunnel, but I can put the removable snow flap on it and get a lot of the same benefits; and

That amazing blue color.

As far as any other differences, the Freeride only has the rail braces and the quick release for the sway bar.

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
Has anybody rode the 2020 Freeride? All the hype on the expert nobody talks about the new freeride. I am debating between an expert or a freeride. Only got 3 days left. I like the blue color. I have the slim waterproof bag with shovel that I wouldn't mind still carrying. Dave Norona says it doesn't fit on expert in 2 and 3 with gas can. If expert is that much better I'd rather get it??? I have a 2017 165 x now. Any ride reports would be great.

Personally I would go for the expert 165, the extras you get are worth 4 times the amount, so next year when everyone sees how great it is when they are looking for a used sled the expert is what they will want over a summit x or freeride, kind of like guys who said they did not need shot in 18 then when they went to sell it it was much harder. On top of that the only reason to get the freeride would be the suspension which is still better or more plush than the expert. But the shortened tunnel, and all the extras actually do work, would I put a limiter strap adjust on my current 165, no, but with the expert the 165 really rides and wheelies, if you want, like the 154 so the limiter strap is a must have, if it is hard pack then shorten it u and ride it like a 154, if it is super deep then let it out and enjoy the deep snow performance and float of the 165, this sled is the first sled I have personally rode form doo that covers every snow condition with a few little easy adjustments. I think it is is a big mistake not getting it due to more of these parts will find their way down to summit's and freeride and buying a regular freeride and summit will be worth less becasue of it.

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com

Personally I would go for the expert 165, the extras you get are worth 4 times the amount, so next year when everyone sees how great it is when they are looking for a used sled the expert is what they will want over a summit x or freeride, kind of like guys who said they did not need shot in 18 then when they went to sell it it was much harder. On top of that the only reason to get the freeride would be the suspension which is still better or more plush than the expert. But the shortened tunnel, and all the extras actually do work, would I put a limiter strap adjust on my current 165, no, but with the expert the 165 really rides and wheelies, if you want, like the 154 so the limiter strap is a must have, if it is hard pack then shorten it u and ride it like a 154, if it is super deep then let it out and enjoy the deep snow performance and float of the 165, this sled is the first sled I have personally rode form doo that covers every snow condition with a few little easy adjustments. I think it is is a big mistake not getting it due to more of these parts will find their way down to summit's and freeride and buying a regular freeride and summit will be worth less becasue of it. Also the slim waterproof will fit with a simple plate they are working on now...

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
Thanks for the information Dave.

If Doo provides an option for the 2.5 lug track on the Expert I would consider it in the future. For me though, that amazing blue Freeride was a must gave this year! IMO best color combo ever from Doo.

Big10inch

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 11, 2018
Personally I would go for the expert 165, the extras you get are worth 4 times the amount, so next year when everyone sees how great it is when they are looking for a used sled the expert is what they will want over a summit x or freeride, kind of like guys who said they did not need shot in 18 then when they went to sell it it was much harder. On top of that the only reason to get the freeride would be the suspension which is still better or more plush than the expert. But the shortened tunnel, and all the extras actually do work, would I put a limiter strap adjust on my current 165, no, but with the expert the 165 really rides and wheelies, if you want, like the 154 so the limiter strap is a must have, if it is hard pack then shorten it u and ride it like a 154, if it is super deep then let it out and enjoy the deep snow performance and float of the 165, this sled is the first sled I have personally rode form doo that covers every snow condition with a few little easy adjustments. I think it is is a big mistake not getting it due to more of these parts will find their way down to summit's and freeride and buying a regular freeride and summit will be worth less becasue of it.

Suggesting people spring for the special model "because it will be worth more" is kind of a strawman argument for buying it. MAYBE there will be a premium asked for the Expert but likely only the first year or two. After that, used buyers do not care enough to pay you a premium. The only guys looking for this kind of stuff buy new to have the latest and greatest. Used buyers want a clean, well priced machine and are rarely even aware of the special models. If you think you are going to re-coup more than a couple hundred bucks of the couple thousand dollar premium you are kidding yourself.

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
Suggesting people spring for the special model "because it will be worth more" is kind of a strawman argument for buying it. MAYBE there will be a premium asked for the Expert but likely only the first year or two. After that, used buyers do not care enough to pay you a premium. The only guys looking for this kind of stuff buy new to have the latest and greatest. Used buyers want a clean, well priced machine and are rarely even aware of the special models. If you think you are going to re-coup more than a couple hundred bucks of the couple thousand dollar premium you are kidding yourself.

I agree and too your point, it is 700 bucks more and you will get a couple of hundred bucks out of that in a few years. Remember in 2013 with the new XM, and the freeride stayed in the XP body, you would have been crazy to buy one as it is the exact same as a 2012, so in the following year it dropped more than if it were an xm, that is the same here. Going summit x or will put you behind right away 2 years behind the expert. If you were a guy who did not buy shot for your 2018 and are trying to sell it, there is 9.5 buyers who want it over a pull start for the same money, you have to drop the price to sell it over one with shot. As much as people complain they get less in a new sled these days they actually get way more with products like shot, shortened tunnel, new suspension which take years to calibrate and at a huge cost that is just soaked into the machine or the cost goes up a nominal value compared to what the cost of the new addition is. Then they complain that they dont get a snowflap or have to buy an accessory one.

ziggity

Premium Member
Mar 30, 2015
Kind of wishing I would have waited a year now and ordered a FR or expert, whats all required to changeover to the new front end on previous year sleds?

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
Kind of wishing I would have waited a year now and ordered a FR or expert, whats all required to changeover to the new front end on previous year sleds?

If you are talking Spindles and Rubber Stop, they come as a package and are avaialbe in the 2020 catelogue to order, there are two tabs on previous model 2017-18-19 skis that you will have to shave down to make the 2020 spindle fit in, it is easy.

ziggity

Premium Member
Mar 30, 2015
If you are talking Spindles and Rubber Stop, they come as a package and are avaialbe in the 2020 catelogue to order, there are two tabs on previous model 2017-18-19 skis that you will have to shave down to make the 2020 spindle fit in, it is easy.

Ok that's what I was wondering, thanks!

Premium Features