• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Reliability of the 850 so far? and hows the 2019 belt life?

U
Jul 20, 2016
Montana
My motor has been fine at 1k but my buddy had to replace his top end at 1400 miles. Made me a bit nervous.

Meanwhile my other buddies 850 Patriot just hit 2k last weekend.

Not at all trying to say Patriot is a more reliable motor. But the sample size is a bit small. Ultimately both motors will be reliable unless you are unlucky. Think it's just a risk you have to take when you get into power sports.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Good info guys, and the chains going can be user abuse, My fathers xm had a track delaminating and was denied, Certainly not abuse it was like where the tracks fibers meet end to end it was ripping along that on it's own and got worse so we scrapped the track.

snowmanx

Premium Member
Aug 13, 2001
Polson, Montana
I bought a used 18 850 154× 3" and it's been flawless. I out 830 miles on for a total of 1385 miles.

Favorite sled ever, ery fun, quick, and so far no issues. No problems with engine, runs strong (but I do worry about it), Hps can at about 900 miles, belt life has been good. 2nd belt but it was replaced on warranty due to a clutch tower bolt breaking and getting caught up in clutches. Ski doo replaced all clutch sheaves.(.recall bolt), in all fairness, I should have got it in for the update.
Clutch temp is what I conside normal, stock clutching and gearing and I think it works great.

Track is in great condition , and a couple times early in season I was sure I was going cause some damage spinning out on stumps and rocks.

I've been super suprised by the strength of the front end. I've bounced off of and had direct hit's to the front A arms, and again thought something would at least be bent but it still looks great.

Smucked a few rocks this year and no a arm or bulkhead damage.

Again, I am hoping what a see on the internet about the motors is what I've seen for the last decade about doos various issues, esp clutching and gearing , and the sleds I've had have always been great, ran stock clutch, and no issues. Hope this 850 is at least a 3500 mile engine.

I do think for the price you pay they should be a 5000 mile engine.

Now....knock on wood.

idahoskiguy

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
Boise, ID
Lost the PTO connecting rod bearing at 1,240 miles, Ski-Doo replace engine under the 4 year warranty.

Still on the original belt.......the belt out lasted the engine :face-icon-small-sho

PaulAnd

Premium Member
Oct 17, 2010
Northern IL.
I have lots of belt dust under hood area,
I put a prefilter kit on mine and think the filter over the powder valve is a must.
And the engine bay fills up with snow as well..
Just throwing it out there.
Combine a belt blower and high belt temps I’m sure that reduces engine life

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Premium Features