• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2015 800 Pro RMK with Broken driveshaft

mc2stroke

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
I have a 2015 800 Pro RMK with 4000 miles that I just sheared the drive shaft. Are people still having an issue with these? I did not hit anything to break it I just rolled on the throttle starting into a powder carve.

Just curious if these are still coming apart? Also is there any after market fixes that are more durable then the stock drive shaft that seem weak in my opinion.

Thanks,
Brent

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Not very often, but you still hear about one breaking every now and then.
You can always put a steal OEM polaris shaft in it and have it fixed for good.

mc2stroke

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
driveshaft

Sounds like a good way to go. Is it a direct swap out cuz that would be easy enough.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Note: Drivers do not swap out from the hex shaft of the ProRmk to the steel shaft of other models.

That being said... a good alternative is to run the steel shaft as pointed out above.

You can use any 2011 - 2115 Steel RMK driveshaft in the belt drive models.

I HIGHLY recommend that you replace the bearings on the shaft regardless of the model you use.... so that they are fresh... while you have it out... Make sure you can do the process properly and have the right tools to press off/on the new bearings ... obviously no seal is needed on the belt drive sleds.... the steel shafts have different chaincase bearings, unsealed, and need to run the sealed bearings of the belt drive shaft.

IMO...REPLACE BOTH bearings!!

good units on ebay.
Example
https://www.ebay.com/itm/382795489447

Last edited:

mc2stroke

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
thanks guys. Got it. 2011-2015 steelshafts (chain case model). I agree with the new bearings thought process as well. I was thinking of about replacing my jack shaft bearings while I had it out.

crazy the splined protion is what sheared off

xj1978

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Wisconsin
thanks guys. Got it. 2011-2015 steelshafts (chain case model). I agree with the new bearings thought process as well. I was thinking of about replacing my jack shaft bearings while I had it out.

crazy the splined protion is what sheared off

Bearing locked and ate the end of the shaft. My 13' did it and I just replaced the driveshaft with a low mile 2014-15 takeoff. No issue since. You could always look for and axys shaft also and swap to the 2.6 if you could find a good track!

Premium Features