• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Is this a problem??? VES Exhaust Valve Piston Rub

T
Mar 2, 2011
Idaho
While I had the head off to replace the suspected blown head gasket I noticed that it appears the exhaust valves may have rubbed on the pistons.

Also do the marks on the cylinder walls look normal for an 04 Liberty 800 engine?

cylinder1.jpg

cylinder2.jpg

There was a lot of water in the gas tank and it took out one of the reeds and damaged several others.

Last edited:

XCaSSAULT

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2016
Cylinder marks are normal. As long as u can’t catch your finger nail on them they’re fine. Piston wash looks really good too.

There was a post awhile back in the iq section I believe were valve/piston rub was a issue. I had suggested doubling up the valve gasket to get more clearance but apparently that wouldn’t work as someone chimed in and said there’s a stop on the cylinder it’s self that gets worn down causing this problem. If that’s the case then only replacing the cylinders would solve this problem. I think u could file the edges down a tad and fix this problem. Worth a try.

Deffinitly take a look through the exhaust and see how scraped the piston might be. A little scratching ain’t nothing to worry bout. If that’s the case then good find!

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Pull the y-pipe look at the side of the pistons and rings. Make sure the valves didn't chip a ring.
Pull out the valves and file them a bit or take them to the bench grinder. Make some clearance.

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
The stop on the VES guillotine valve itself is probably pretty beat up. It certainly looks like an expensive accident waiting to happen. As in piston/ring/cylinder replacement. Some used valves can be bought cheaply on EBAY, since Edges aren't IN anymore. Hand honing of the cylinder wall catches oil to keep the ring contact surface lubricated. Honing marks wear away and need to be replaced.

Premium Features