• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New to polaris - what tools do I need?

N

Nubulin

Oct 26, 2005
Flatlands USA :(
I jumped ship to a 13 pro this year from the turd that is the Proclimb. What tools do I need to service the sled? I am basically looking to be able to swap weights, helix, springs, tracks, etc. I pretty much like to have everything. Also any weird fasteners, etc?

Already have a clutch puller?
Annoying else for the primary? ( looks mostly the same as a cat clutch)
Any special tools to swap spring/helix on the team?
Special tools for the driveshaft?

Thanks in advance.

kraftymike

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Bozeman, Mt
Good thread idea. I am also jumping from Cat to Polaris. One of the best things I can say about my M's is that I didn't even know what tools where in the tool kit because they never broke down. I have ridden with Polaris guys recently who cursed the lack of tools in the OEM tool kits. What should a guy toss in? Is there any critical tools that didn't make it in the tool kit?

turbolover

Enduring the heat till Braap Season
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Rigby, Idaho
15 mm for the track adjustment.
Allen wrench and wrench to adjust the belt deflection on the Team clutch.

Open palm to slap yourself in the forehead when forget the scratchers and throw it in reverse

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
Open palm to slap yourself in the forehead when forget the scratchers and throw it in reverse

Is this with glove on or off? I foresee this happening to me now that I no longer have the cable scratchers and will be using the "normal" scratchers this season.

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
Good thread idea. I am also jumping from Cat to Polaris. One of the best things I can say about my M's is that I didn't even know what tools where in the tool kit because they never broke down. I have ridden with Polaris guys recently who cursed the lack of tools in the OEM tool kits. What should a guy toss in? Is there any critical tools that didn't make it in the tool kit?
Digital camera.........
You will need to take pictures of your buddies at the bottom of the hill that couldn't make the climb you just made!:face-icon-small-coo:face-icon-small-coo:face-icon-small-coo
picture.php

picture.php

S
Sep 14, 2010
where ever I am
Honda rivets for when you roll your sled and windshield pops off, 6 MM Allen for readjustment of handle bars, 15 mm for track, 1/4 inch drive metric drive socket set, 4 way screw driver and leather-man. Don't forget your local helicopter pilots
phone number as the Pro overheats when you drag others off the mountian.

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
15 mm for the track adjustment.
Allen wrench and wrench to adjust the belt deflection on the Team clutch.

You'll need a 11mm (7/16 will work too) wrench to go with the 1/8 Allen wrench for the belt deflection.:face-icon-small-sho
As far as the cable scratchers, they don't work as well as the stock ones.:sorry:

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
i'm with pro-8250
you just need a few memorized nice things to say about your friends sleds so they don't get bummed out ! ha ha:face-icon-small-hap

for real (on sled )
like said above wrenches/shock adj.tools/extra oil (for fill ups)
good gloves (not much wind protection)/ maybe allens to adj. bars to liking
spring tool (i carry one they can be handy )/plugs/muffpot

shop
same as above good torx set/ primary puller /ratio rite (for oil)/tork wrench etc.

congrads on the jump i think you'll really like the sled

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Buy a couple extra female end fasteners for the hood. They have a tendency to slide out of their spot. Get the right allen wrench for the secondary (forget what size) and wrench to loosen the adjusting nut - all this to adjust the tension of your belt. The only problem I ever had with my 2011 Pro was that I lost a tooth on my chain gear. This lead to me having to pull the chaincase apart. So just having some of the standard tools (small channel locks, 8/10/12/13/14 sockets, zip ties, electrical tape, etc) should do it.

T

TGitt

Feb 16, 2009
Logan, Utah
Anything to rebuild an engine...

I wish I could say I was kidding, but Hey I guess thats what the 4 year warranty is for.
I always carry a tool kit with Allens, wrenches pliers etc. The spark plug socket that comes with the sled has the torx on the handle you'll need if you have to take your hood off. As far as I can remember there are only 4 of those torx on the sled.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
"View of your buddies from your Polaris Pro vantage point"

BWAAAHAAAAHAHAHA
picture.php

M

milo303

Sep 16, 2011
Littleton
If it wasn't for the torx end on the spark plug tool I would've replaced those a long time ago!

Here's a tip if you find your wrenches are to long to fit in a plastic tool pouch that you've kept from another toy like me...

I have the skinny/short bicycle wrenches and tossed those in the plastic tool container and they fit perfectly. Plus taking those for winter use leaves all of the tools in your at home tool box in tact.

Premium Features