• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Diamond Drive or Chain case?

J

Jeff K

Jan 26, 2008
Calgary, AB
BDX was supposed to be making a stronger version of the Diamond Drive for high HP sleds. It was supposed to be release last year, but never came out. Maybe give them a shout and see what the plan is for that.

oldcrow

Lifetime Membership
Dec 13, 2007
Central MN
I like the principle of the Diamond Drive.

It’s typical Corporate BS that I don’t like; Build it, now let’s build it cheaper.

They’ve outsourced it and really cheapened it up.
If it were a quality precision gear case I think it would have a lot better rap.

S
Feb 21, 2009
hmmmm

If this is true , and yamaha does take it over than it wil be a bummer because if they do they will make if bullet proof. The japs are way better engineers!!! JMO>>>> look at there cars..

D

dmkhnr

Nov 26, 2007
NV
If this is true , and yamaha does take it over than it wil be a bummer because if they do they will make if bullet proof. The japs are way better engineers!!! JMO>>>> look at there cars..

I don't know man. I had a Toyota car that was the best vehicle I ever owned.
I now have an Infiniti, and it's an absolute POS that I'll be afraid to have the title to once the warranty is expired.

The 05 Diamond Drive (except for a seal) was a solid unit. Once they started messing with it, she became unreliable.
I doubt there will be a chaincase for 2012.

S
Feb 21, 2009
maybe

WOW your really misinformed.. The big three have made great cars for many years.

I have not had any luck with American vehicles, just my experiences.The trucks maybe, look who makes the cat motor.They just seem to have way tighter tolerances.The american car after 100,000 ride like crap. Just saying if they get ahold of DD it will have less problems....

E
Oct 21, 2008
flat lander MN
3rd hand I guess new chain case style drive all on 1 side like DD no jack shaft new style clutch so no interchangeable parts with old or older clutch parts so we can all buy another pile of springs and helix.

Mjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2008
Ogden, Utah
CHAIN CASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No question!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I went thru 3 stock DD's after putting in my big bore, and I know of plenty of others with stock sleds go out reverse or no reverse. I bought a black diamond complete assembly and haven't had as many problems, but it still isn't as reliable as a chain case. I baby my sled compared to how I used to ride it just because I know the DD can't handle it. Black Diamond is a great company and they'll tell you that theirs is bullet proof. That is the one lie I've heard from them.

Someone told me of someone who made their DD into a chain drive. I guess they took the gears out and put in just two gears and a chain. That's what I've heard anyway. If anyone knows anything about it, that is what I'd do to mine. Sorry to go a little off subject and hijack a little bit, but any info would be appreciated.

Last edited:

White Rad

Premium Member
Nov 16, 2009
WA to B.C.
plenty of blown chains also. and when the chains go there can be a lot of other carnage. on paper the dd is more efficient too bad its just not that reliable yet in the real world...

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Their "case" is rated at 300hp. Talk about STUPID claim... They don't say anything about the gears inside.

"These cases have been tested up to 350 HP"

Now, since you feel that they're JUST talking about the case... how ya figure they're testing the case without the gears????? (well, that'd be one way to avoid failures!!:D)

Sorry, you're trying to find something that's not there.

Of the guys that have switched to the DD lite, I haven't seen a single issue.

Agree 100% with comments about it being a production issue, not design. The BDX DD works well, the cat one... not really so much.

907riders.com

Mar 23, 2009
Wasilla, AK
www.907riders.com
The race department looked at the DD back in 03 and it was determined that the DD couldn't handle the shock load from landing on the throttle. They dropped the idea long ago.

We were running 17 wide chains in my stocker and breaking those frequently.

Tonysnoo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 6, 2004
No. Nevada
CHAIN CASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No question!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I went thru 3 stock DD's after putting in my big bore, and I know of plenty of others with stock sleds go out reverse or no reverse. I bought a black diamond complete assembly and haven't had as many problems, but it still isn't as reliable as a chain case. I baby my sled compared to how I used to ride it just because I know the DD can't handle it. Black Diamond is a great company and they'll tell you that theirs is bullet proof. That is the one lie I've heard from them.

Someone told me of someone who made their DD into a chain drive. I guess they took the gears out and put in just two gears and a chain. That's what I've heard anyway. If anyone knows anything about it, that is what I'd do to mine. Sorry to go a little off subject and hijack a little bit, but any info would be appreciated.

I'm just the opposite....... I have to say I haven't had any prob with my 05 M7/cutler 1000 DD. I have had tons with chain cases. I've never had a chain(11s, 13s, or 15s) last more than a season and part of another...never. I've twisted splined ends of shafts and broken drive shafts and that dont count all the jack shaft and driveshaft bearings.

I have a spare DD cause I was worried about a failure. It just hasen't happened. I service mine twice a year(only once last year with the turbo) with synthetic. I have used the second to experiment with gear ratioes, since it takes about 20 minutes to change one out completely.

I found that the DD light shares the same inner parts as the 05-06 that I am so fond of. I understand the probs with the 07-10, so it's DD lite on my newer turbo project.

In all fairness to my chaincases maybe I have learned that I don't need to horse a sled like I used to to get the job done........or the DD is great????

Either way I'm stickin with the DD:face-icon-small-hap

Last edited:
Premium Features