• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

NYT Article about Land in Idaho....

Mort2112

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Meridian, ID
This isn't necessarily about specific land use, but trends overall in the west. Take the time to read the article and note how carefully snowmobilers are blamed for "ruining the landscape".

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/22/us/wilks-brothers-fracking-business.html#commentsContainer

Also, funny how the article doesn't mention how the Wilks are selling large swaths of their land for a profit while denying public land access.

At least they mentioned how they are manipulating the legislature to get their way.

kcj1317

Premium Member
Sep 29, 2012
St Charles Idaho
"Wouldn't want me camping on your front lawn"? Are we suppose to take that defense seriously? I'm all for capitalism but don't give me that idiotic defense of protecting the land when you made money from fracking ( no I'm not saying fracking destroys land but it certainly doesn't leave it undisturbed) I also don't get the mindset of fences, gates, and signs for hundreds or thousands of unused acres.
Population is growing and they know that, they knitter land will be needed plus it's probably part ego as to who can own the most land amongst billionaires.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Racer220

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
43.463558, -110.762496
Pretty hard to dispute their train of thought with all the land grabbing, but it sounds like they've definitely hit a 'Hillbillies' style road to fortune. Having the option to purchase such a vast amount of land is great, but not at the expense of using that power to just come in and set your own terms of use. Blocking any public access should be challenged immediately. I feel there is a slight bias against the recreation community the way the article has it layed out, but at least it mentions some of the realities of the situation. I really think that any large purchases like what are happening should have major scrutiny and oversight to make sure that there isn't going to be a landlock situation or any kind of blockage to public land. Every developed area in the nation seems to have particular easements in place to protect spaces or access points. As much as I don't want the government to overstep itself than it already does, there should be some sort of governing body that can help facilitate these things with protection of the public in mind. I personally take the perspective of the NYT portrayal with a grain of salt, but overall I think the article presents an eye opening view of another threat that we all face when dealing with land issues. Whether they support motorized recreation or not, these land grabbers are creating another challenge that we as snowmobilers will have an uphill battle against in the long run.

Premium Features