• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How reliable has your 2018 been?

F_ast

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008
Ontario
4000km on my 2018 high country 153. Awesome sled. Original belt.

I ran a custom 153 snocross rear skid from the race dept. With 9tooth 2.86 p drivers spinning a 154" 1.6 Camso Ice cobra Track and 21/41 gearing. Super fast sled actually.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Are you guys experiencing the same hesitation that the 600 ctecs are known for. My 600 does it... its weird, no bog or anything but just like a half second of nothing between mashing the throttle and it going. I noticed it on the Mountain Cat that I spent a few minutes on as well, that normal?

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Are you guys experiencing the same hesitation that the 600 ctecs are known for. My 600 does it... its weird, no bog or anything but just like a half second of nothing between mashing the throttle and it going. I noticed it on the Mountain Cat that I spent a few minutes on as well, that normal?
Every once and a while i get 1/10sec hesitation but i think that is the throttle safety switch.

hobbes

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
First trip out I had a thermostat stick open so it wouldn't warm up enough to come out of limp mode. Since that's been fixed it's been great. Definitely one of the funnest sleds I've ever owned.

Snow Fever

Lifetime Membership
Dec 14, 2007
BC
Over 800 miles on mine best sled out of the box I have rid'n. Kid bought one late this year and we are both blown away at how these things ride, handle, go in the deep and steep, boondock in the trees. Both still have original belts. His is a 162 stock out of the box. I have a can and clutching 153". If that new Alpha is half as good as I have read about, that will be the BEST sled next year because I think this 18' Mountain Cat is incedable. P.S. This is the stockest sled I have had since 1987 no need for a bunch of mods unless your a Big Chute rider.:face-icon-small-hap

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Ecm heat shield broke.
Top Steering post bushing is almost worn through!
Oil level sensor has a mind of its own, light comes on a lot even when full.
74a444db711782eab17fe40ad8c49779.jpg

john6719

Premium Member
Dec 25, 2014
Ecm heat shield broke.
Top Steering post bushing is almost worn through!
Oil level sensor has a mind of its own, light comes on a lot even when full.
74a444db711782eab17fe40ad8c49779.jpg

Is that the same ECU shield as the '16 or did they go to a new style? Can't really tell from that photo.

Definitely need to do something different with steering bushings. I'm just happy the "problems" with the Cats are all nuisance items and not something that leaves me walking out of the back country.

M
Mar 1, 2008
Canada
I have a 18' MC 153 with 2800km.

Issues: ... and with my experience, it's nothing versus many other sled than i owned before.
- ECU heat shield tab broke (warranty)
- Right lower body pan panel wear little on magnesium oil reservoir (I put a glued foam)
- Right side panel dig little on fuel tank (I put a glued foam)
- FTS + skis shock plastic bushing broke (warranty)
- Few upper steering bushing (warranty)
- Thermostat replaced because engine run too hot on trail riding (20F over my buddy with 800ctec) (warranty)

This sled are amazing, easy to ride, VERY reliable and STRONG, PC 3'' are strong (no lug missing and i ride hard), i do a bit clutching to get what i like. Fuel and oil saver. I beat 800 Poo and 850 Doo on drag race. I prefer to ride at 37'' ski stance.

eldereldo

Lifetime Membership
Feb 23, 2014
So the nut on the bottom of the steering post keeps working itself loose, nylock must be to loose so I need to locktite it for now. More of an issue is the pull start isn’t retracting quickly anymore, this last weekend it would hardly retract at all if I didn’t get the motor started on the first pull. Although we were riding over the hood snow all day, and it was cold so might have been the rope getting soaked when stopped, then freezing up again. Will need to check it this week and see if it is ok once it dries out. And just for a note, this is the first time I have ever checked the clutch temperatures and not been able to touch them for more than a second as they were so hot. But again that was riding without stopping for over an hour at a time with snow going over our hood and head.:face-icon-small-hap.

evandaigneault

Lifetime Membership
Oct 13, 2008
Portland,OR
I hit a bump and mine randomly just died. Checked all connections and fuses, they were fine. Gauge cluster wouldnt work despite fuse being ok. Would start, go 20 feet, and then die.... I let it sit for a bit, and then it started up and ran fine all day. Hasnt happened again since but makes me nervous every time I ride it now.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Thats your TPS almost guaranteed. Mine does it frequently. Gotta lose that.

You mean TPS (throttle position sensor) down on the injectors or TSS (throttle safety switch) in the throttle paddle hinge? No one is going to lose the TPS

S

SledderX

Sep 20, 2008
Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada
1600 km no issues and still stock belt. Had the oil light issue on an early release last year was due to moisture. Dielectric grease fixed that. Remove the throttle safety switch out of the throttle block right away and save yourself a lot of trouble (wear a tether). Do yourself a favor and buy an aftermarket upper steering post bushing to eliminate the wear and slop. Seal up the intake with duct tape or silicone in the couple spots they show daylight. This sled is truly amazing out of the box needs very little.

Premium Features