• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2002 Chaincase replacement

Mark's RMK

Lifetime Membership
May 5, 2010
Sturgeon Lake, MN
Chaincase

Move to the newer Pro-X style with the better brake.

It's also used on the Vertical Escapes.

Better chain tensioner.

Make sure you use new bearings and seals and replace the speedometer drive bearing/seal as well.

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
I like Mark's RMK suggestion, but this change is not simple. The Escape chain case is quite different than the standard RMK one. The brake is better, but on an 02 I'm not sure it is worth the effort to make the change.

sled_guy

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
Putting a new bearing on the clutch end of the drive axle, requires heating up the bearing with a torch and setting it on before it cools. Then there is the issue of getting the track on and threading the drive axle back into place. It is a real workout. If the sled has over 3000 miles, the track probably has missing lugs and the lug tips are worn down to a point. Which then means you might want to find a camoplast challenger that was made for Arctic Cats. It is a major traction upgrade and show to you how pathetic the stock Polaris series IV track is.

Batwolf

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2017
Vail, CO
What's better about the Challenger track? Are the lugs more rigid? I know the series IV has 4 lugs staggered across the width of the track, where as the challenger track has 3 wider lugs staggered. Although a little shorter lugs, the Challenger really is better than a good condition series IV?

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
What's better about the Challenger track? Are the lugs more rigid? I know the series IV has 4 lugs staggered across the width of the track, where as the challenger track has 3 wider lugs staggered. Although a little shorter lugs, the Challenger really is better than a good condition series IV?
Since the snow is trapped between the top and bottom of the lug, and gets pushed out the side of the lug, the wider the lug, the further the distance the snow has to move in order to no longer be resisting the pressure of the lug. With four lugs across, the lug width on a 15" wide track is about 3.75", with the average distance that the snow has to travel to be expelled is 3.75"/4 = 0.94". With 3 lugs across, the lug width is 5" with the average distance of snow travel is 1.25". So the 3 lug track is 1.25/0.94 = 1.33 times more efficient than a 4 lug series IV track. Some camoplast challenger lugs are also cupped, which helps trap the snow much better than a flat faced Series IV lug. Which further increases the track efficiency. When you put a CC 3 cupped lug track on, you will immediately notice the much stronger pull in deep powder.

Batwolf

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2017
Vail, CO
Thanks for opening my eyes on that; I hadn't given the topic much thought before. I honestly feel like my common sense esaped me there for a little bit, but I get it now. Prolly gonna stick with my IV this season, but will probably look into changing next year maybe.

Premium Features