• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

newbie with a beacon-some questions

zachb

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2010
Iowa
Okay,
I've been reading a lot and trying to educate myself on these things. My group makes 2-3 trips a year out west. We know it's time to buy beacons. My question is would we be okay with mid range ones or spend the money for good ones? I'm currently debating between a pieps DSP or a Mammut pulse barryvox. I'd also like to get an iprobe. So my other question is should we stick with the pieps products or can you mix and match. And yes an avy class is on our agenda. Just would like to have some good tools in hand before the class. Thanks

S
Nov 30, 2007
cda, idaho
it really boils down to what you feel comfortable with.
The tracker dts or the price point tracker is a nice beacon. can you upgrade and find a nicer beacon, sure, but it really comes down to knowing how to use what ever beacon you end up getting.

i just purchased a new beacon for myself because my old beacon isn't working properly. i went with the new tracker2 because of simplicity!

get what you feel will work for "you"

NRHS

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2012
Firestone, CO
all beacons transmit the same frequency so one brand will detect another so no worries there. As said buy what you are comfortable with. I too like the BCA tracker 2 as it is extremely simple to operate in a time of distress plus they are reasonably priced for what you get.

I am a BCA dealer and can get you a really good deal on their stuff if needed. they have the best probes on the market IMO!!!

PM me if you have any questions.

Premium Features