• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best optics for long range shooting?

H
Jan 9, 2003
Sparks, Nevada
What do you guys think are the best optics for long range shooting?
What about the best bang for the buck for long range accuracy?
I am looking for optics for my 270 WSM. Looking at the Leupold VXL, A nightforce NXS, or possibly a schmidt & bender. Let me know what you guys like and use.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
over the years I have tried a few..but my favorite is a leopold..vari-x 111 4.5-14*50..illuminated reticule with mil dots....have taken 2 wolves and one nice grizz at over 600 yrds.with it ,as well as moose, bear, fox, and lots of other things in closer..for the price is a great scope..plus it is light and compact...

H
Nov 26, 2007
Back in Idaho
Nate is right with the Nightforce if you can fork out that kind of money. Plus you get to support folks in Idaho. My next scope will be the NXS 5.5-22X50 with the NP-R2 reticle. I just have to decide which caliber of Cooper I want to place it on. Any 6mm suggestions, Nate?

I currently have a Leupy VX-L 4.5-14X50 and it is a great scope for my little .204 Ruger. Due to the low profile of the VX-L and the flat shooting of the .204, the trajectory is within +/- 1" from approximately 10 yds to 230 yards. I seldom have to adjust for distance except on the long shots.

The only thing that I don't like about the Leupy is that it does not have quite the magnification that I need with my crappy eyesight. That is not fault of the scope, but the buyer who didn't want to spend the extra $300 to upgrade to the long distance 6.5-20X, variable objective scope.

S

Snow Fox

Depends on your budget, but the best bang for your back would be Leupold. Leupolds customer service and warranty repair is the best. I am diehard Leupold, all of my scopes but one are Leupold and the other is a Burris. Nightforce and some others are very nice, but you will pay for them.

T
Nov 26, 2007
coeur dalene, idaho
I have a leupold vx-ii 4x12x40 on my .270wsm seems to work good for me.
My farthest shot with this gun has only been 330 yards though. But that to me is starting to get out there.

S
Dec 3, 2007
I'll also vote for Nightforce. Thing about NF is not only do they have some of if not the best optics money can buy they will last you for ever. NF is probably the most durable well built scope you can buy also. I know alot of guys that will only use NF on their .50's.

snow_knight

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Black Hills,SD
Leupolds are probably the most popular scopes by most people.. however I personally wouldnt use one as a damn hammer when you are talking about true long range shooting.. If I can find the article I will post it (or if somebody has it plz post it).. There was a company that tests light transmition through light that tested 100's of different scopes and optics.. light transmitions will tell the actuall usability at low light.. leupolds were at the bottom of the line, close to the $75 dallor bsa :eek:.. although leupolds will take a beating.. just not the choice of hardly anybody that is serious about hitting targets at +1,000 yards

When you step into the realm of long distance shooting (with accuracy) your run of the mill scope just WILL not cut it.. really it wont.. not matter what you think

As nate mentioned.. nightforce is a great option, I personally own a couple and they are very nice scopes..
My latest purchase was a schmidt & bender... I'm very impressed with it, great optics with some of the clearest glass I have ever seen.. These will be on all of my long distance iron :D..

Another scope that I personally really like is the shepherds scopes.. This is what i replaced all my nikons, leupolds, and burris's on my hunting rifles with.. and once your get the reticle figured out.. are the quickest yardage acquistion shot I have found..

S

Supplicate

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 4, 2005
Slowdotnuh
most folks that can,...... don't share this kind of information ...............
Drunk?

I prefer to share the info so someone getting into it doesn't have to throw away as much money as some of the people I know. Its not like we are talking about the voodoo concerning caliber/twist/barrel length/bullet selection.

H

H2SNOW

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 19, 2005
North of 60 ...Deep Deep in the bush ......
Drunk?

I prefer to share the info so someone getting into it doesn't have to throw away as much money as some of the people I know. Its not like we are talking about the voodoo concerning caliber/twist/barrel length/bullet selection.

course some folks ..prefer notoriety to actions ...which are you ;);)

and don't have the luxery of being outed ...course when one is talkin special opps who wants to boast anyways .........:cool:

N

Nate

Apr 22, 2006
Northeast Wyoming/Mission Viejo California
course some folks ..prefer notoriety to actions ...which are you ;);)

and don't have the luxery of being outed ...course when one is talkin special opps who wants to boast anyways .........:cool:

Ive shot with enough military trained guys to know that military isnt the best training for shooting. Its people like Dave Viers of Cheytac who are going to out shoot your Carlos Hathcocks :rolleyes:

Not even the Military guys could hit the 2k mark with advanced ballistic programs and .50 BMG's. Then you got a guy like Dan Kinneman hitting P-dogs out of holes with a 300 Ultra Mag imprv at 2180.

Your best shooters are your gun smiths :) PERIOD

If you think 700 yards is a long shot, stay with a leupold. If you think 1300 yards is a long shot, go with Nightforce or US optics. I preferebly dont like Shmidt&Bender :eek: Send your scope to Germany and see how long it takes for you to get it back. Sorta like leupold. Might as well have a backup to put on, its going to be awhile.

Wont knock a burris, XTR's are a super cool scope for any gun :beer;

H
Dec 9, 2007
Chewelah, Washington
I had a Nightforce 12-42X56 on my .50 and I have a Nightforce 5.5-22X56 NXS on my custom .300 Weatherby, a Leupold Vari-X III 8.5-25X50 LRT on my 7MM STW (which is without a DOUBT the most accurate long range gun I have EVER shot), a Leupold Vari-X III 6.5-20X50 LRT on my .220 Swift, and a Zeiss 3-12X56 on my .240 Weatherby and the Nightforce is my choice of the best scope. The Leupolds are nice and Zeiss is okay but neither of them rate with the Nightforce in my book. The Zeiss has the annoying European reticle that knocks it down. The Nightforce is the only one that I can see .30caliber holes in a target at 1000 yards at the same magnification.

S
Dec 3, 2007
Problem I have with German scopes is they are imported from overseas so they don't have the same regulations pertaining to where they were manufactured. Sure they say made in Germany but that doesn't mean they were really made and or assembled there. With USA companies they can't have much stricter laws and regs to follow. NF in my opinion is of the very best quality and made in the USA. If you looking for top notch quality you're gonna pay for it. Spend the extra now an be done with it. A NF scope will last you a life and then some.

HIGHMARK, I read you're a 240WBY owner too. Not many of us out there and even fewer who will admit it. Mines a custom on a Model 700 with a 27in. Lilja barrel. Of all the long guns I own it's my all time funnest to shoot!

Premium Features