• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Emergency FRS radio frequency?

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Fellow Wyoming riders - does anyone know if there is a designated emergency channel for the family radios/walkie talkies?

These units are so inexpensive and offer such great versatility and range it would seem like a great idea for anyone needing help to be able to tune in to a certain channel and call for help:eek:.

If waiting for Search & Rescue, they could even radio to rescue sleds that may be nearby because we all know how impossible it is to locate someone even a hundred yards off the trail.

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
I don't think there's an "emergency" channel for FRS as of yet. If so, it's really not widely recognized (like 9 on CB or 16 on marine).

With tone decodes that most people use, not only do you need the channel but also that tone to break the squelch on their radio.

Also, I usually find moar people on FRS 01 than any other frequency in the GMRS/FRS band. Most single-channel radios use that one.

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Channel 1 & code 1 would be a good idea, especially if that is the most used anyhow because the goal is to reach anyone. If searchers knew the people they were looking for had FRS and would be on a certain channel, they could stop every mile or so and see if they can reach them by radio. Much more efficient than trying to cover vast amounts of terrain.

Does anyone know what the typical range might be in the mtns for say 12 mile range radios? Even the 18 mile + radios are inexpensive, like $39/pair. I would think these would be good for at least a mile in most cases?

Premium Features