• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Fox Suspension qs3 Lock Mode

Ski-Dont89

Lifetime Membership
Mar 2, 2010
WYOMING
I got the burandt qs3 on my new to me axys. Anyone got a good staring setup for them? I’m 210-220 with gear.

aksledjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2014
Alaska
I'll have Burandt edition new QS3's on of my sleds (163" boosted) and the new IQS setup on another sled (155" boosted). Looking forward to paying around with both systems.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
You are 100% correct. If you switch to floats on the rear. You want them on the front also.

It’s like running radials on the front of your car and bias plies on the back.

At minimum I would try to run Floats with Floats.

WOW. This is such pathetic rational. You are basing this off exactly what?!

Lets get into this...

1) The skid's job is entirely different than the front end. Lets use your awful tire analogy... we are running skis up front, a moving track out back. So your analogy from the start is ridiculous. Sleds are incredibly dynamic - and so too are the suspension demands.

2) Moreover, the skid's job is to control weight transfer AND eat bumps/keep the rider in control. Ski shocks do not control weight transfer, just eat bumps. An air damper can do this very well, especially if you are not using a coupled skid. You can set the air shock up to be very supple off the top, then ramp up incredibly quickly (be it through the EVOL chamber or limiting volume of the positive chamber). Air is quiet easy to setup progressive - and even vary the rate of progression - In this case, when applied to the rear skid, it resists bottoming, keeps the sled from blowing through its travel, still has a nice supple ride - all with fairly light compression damping (you can run higher amounts of LSC if you want - but just saying the nature of the spring doesn't need to rely on LSC as a crutch)

3) The leverage rate curve is entirely different up front than out back. (EG, how is the shock driven)

4) You can tune a coil to be progressive. You can tune an air shock to be linear. I can post some forces graphs if you don't believe me. Point here is one can mimic the other. If you are looking for a linear overall feeling suspension package - cool, you can do this. If you are looking for a more progressive suspension package, cool, this too is possible. If you want a linear feeling up front with a progressive feeling out back (my personal preference) cool - this too is possible, and most easily accomplished with coil up front, air out back.

5) There are many other sports where guys run air up front, coil out back - or vice versa. I personally have done this in two other sports with great results. I'm also not talking kooks - I'm talking guys at the top of their sport. Go look at hard enduro, DH mountain bike racing, hell - even certain automobiles.

In the words of Walter - Donny you are out of your element. Stop spraying myth from 1999 and start applying a little science, objectivity and rational understanding to the way a snowmobile's suspension works...

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Side note - are you suggesting guys like Jay Mentaberry, Tom (Tom's Shocks) etc have it wrong? Jay ran air up front and coil out back on his mountain sled. Tom sells an air skid (for the doo) and sells both coil and air for the front - with his customers going either way.

There are FAR more examples than this. Call Fox - see what they say.

Man.

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
If you want to discuss it great, but try to be even a little respectful. Maybe you forgotten what that is. The way you post it sure appears that way.

Until then no thanks..... I am not playing your stupid childish games.

To the gentleman that asked the original question, you can mix shocks it will work. It is not the same as a matched set.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
If you want to discuss it great, but try to be even a little respectful. Maybe you forgotten what that is. The way you post it sure appears that way.

Until then no thanks..... I am not playing your stupid childish games.

To the gentleman that asked the original question, you can mix shocks it will work. It is not the same as a matched set.

Apologies if I seem disrespectful, I find it incredibly frustrating how you continue to post replies that have no bearing in objective, rational thought. Go back through some of your replies to me and maybe you'll see why "respect" isn't exactly the first thing on my mind here. Though frankly, nothing I said was that egregious. I'm blown away at your reply, as I find it drenched in subjectivity and lacking logic - I articulated it as such. Big deal. You are tougher than that eh!?

My frustrations aside, I think I did a pretty good job articulating why I believe you are wrong. I'd ask you to show me where my logic is off but you seem too "triggered" to do so. ;) lol

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
I find it incredibly frustrating how you continue to post replies that have no bearing in objective, rational thought. Go back through some of your replies to me and maybe you'll see why "respect" isn't exactly the first thing on my mind here.l

Wow I feel the exact same way about the bulk of your posts. We finally have something in common.

My comment came from personal experience. Somethings you can engineer and theorize all day long. It just does not always work. Sometime you fall into something that works that shouldn’t. Your page long analasys May be 100% correct, I did not read it all. Can you mismatch shocks and have it work. Yes. My/our experience is it doesn’t work like it should. There is no theory to it. You can ask for engineering all you want. I have none. Just experience.

The shocks didn’t work the same,if through the balance off. Maybe it’s the constant changing pressures in the floats. Not sure. It was like having Ferrari shocks in the front and Fiat shocks in the back.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Wow I feel the exact same way about the bulk of your posts. We finally have something in common.

My comment came from personal experience. Somethings you can engineer and theorize all day long. It just does not always work. Sometime you fall into something that works that shouldn’t. Your page long analasys May be 100% correct, I did not read it all. Can you mismatch shocks and have it work. Yes. My/our experience is it doesn’t work like it should. There is no theory to it. You can ask for engineering all you want. I have none. Just experience.

The shocks didn’t work the same,if through the balance off. Maybe it’s the constant changing pressures in the floats. Not sure. It was like having Ferrari shocks in the front and Fiat shocks in the back.

Curious what year was that? (floats)

Madtown

Premium Member
Nov 8, 2008
Madison,WI
Ordered the rear Fox Burandt QS3 shocks for my sled so hopefully in next couple weeks I should be able to give a review. They will be matched up with Fox Evol R Burandts from few years back up front.

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009
Ordered the rear Fox Burandt QS3 shocks for my sled so hopefully in next couple weeks I should be able to give a review. They will be matched up with Fox Evol R Burandts from few years back up front.

Nice!

Madtown

Premium Member
Nov 8, 2008
Madison,WI

Spent four days on this shock set up using Chris’s baseline recommendations. Very happy to say the least. Last day at Rabbit Ears saw between a foot to two foot of fresh snow with slight hard pack underneath. The lock out is a hug plus when climbing for sure in these conditions. I switched to friends stock 18 Axys RMK and then back to mine & wow what a difference. The trail ride back with the shock set full soft was pleasant as well. I did add some air to the Evol chamber on the ski shocks but other than that I’m set for now. I must say between the new shocks and ZRP offset spindles I’m back in love with my sled. Money well spent.

Premium Features