• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

DIY Sled Deck Kit?

egesledder

Premium Member
Sep 8, 2009
West of Boulder, Colorado
I've built quite a few sled decks now and I've been kicking around this idea. Would anyone be interested in a "weld it yourself" kit? These decks are steel but fairly light, right around 400 lbs for the short bed version with a 10' ramp. I use 3 different gauges of steel with plate stiffeners here and there to make a really rigid, but light setup.

A kit would include:

-All steel needed, pre-cut
-Detailed instructions/dimensions
-EZ-slides
-good tie-down bars/cranks/mounts
-all other little odds and ends

I would think I could sell a kit for around $800 with everything. Not sure on shipping yet, but that could be figured out.

Oh, and they look GOOD when they're done:

DSC_1367.jpg

MegaCabDeck.jpg

DSC_2390.jpg

DSC_1372.jpg

egesledder

Premium Member
Sep 8, 2009
Yes, fixed tail.

All the steel would be pre-cut, but raw. That steel would include the ramp steel. This would be for the guy who wants to make his own deck, but doesn't want to go through a lot of trial and error building to get something that both looks good and is quite functional.

You would be hard pressed to buy all these materials for one deck at this price. Sure, you could cobble something together using cheaper steel, no ski slides, crappy tie-down bars, but it won't look great or work nearly as well.

Y

yz400ex

Feb 8, 2009
Idaho
What about just selling the detailed instructions w/out the steel?

Sent from my Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
I'd think it would cost hundreds to ship. Maybe sell the plans with specific dimensions to cut the steel to and the buyer could just take the order spec sheet to the metal place and give them the sheet and say here is what I need.

Y

yz400ex

Feb 8, 2009
Idaho
I'd think it would cost hundreds to ship. Maybe sell the plans with specific dimensions to cut the steel to and the buyer could just take the order spec sheet to the metal place and give them the sheet and say here is what I need.

This is what I think also.. That is why I ask about just buying the plans..

egesledder

Premium Member
Sep 8, 2009
I'll be building a couple more next weekend, so I'll take a few pictures and put together a full set of instructions along with the actual drawings/plans. There are a lot of little things you can do to make them turn out better, so that experience is probably worth something.

E
Oct 21, 2008
flat lander MN
not trying to be a DB but I think most guys who can weld good enough to put a sled deck together prob own a chop saw and a tape measure and know how to use them

u would prob sell a few but u better make it worth the 100 calls u will get on how to do this and that from the guy who just bought a welder to do this project

Premium Features