• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Anti-theft measures

M

Menace1

Oct 23, 2008
Calgary
Well the sledding season is finally here. With that comes the beginning of the wonderful hot topic surrounding snowmobile theft. Its already taken place in Golden, sleds and a trailer went missing from a hotel parking lot (post already about this on SW and Snow/Mud). Brutal!! My question is, how are people making their sleds and trucks theft proof this year? I know that in the USA there are many tracking devices available but unfortunatley none to my knowledge here in Canada. Im sure there is a possibility that would be thieves may view this thread so keep that in mind when answering my question. Thank you for any responses and I hope noone gets to know what it feels like to wake up in the morning to find that some low life degenerates have taken their valued possessions. See you on the hills!

Last edited:
M
Jan 14, 2004
As it turns out I've given this topic some thought. I think all a guy can do is beef up your locks, disable your truck and get a good alarm on your truck and one in your trailer as well. Once they are gone they are gone. Choose your parking spots carefully and push for the hotels to provide 24 hour security, real security with fences etc not some lame a$$ $30.00 camera. It wouldn't hurt for the RCMP to get out there a bit more often and do spot checks which means everybody needs to have their sleds registered.

M5

BBNytro

Lifetime Membership
Jan 6, 2009
Estevan, Sask
Baby monitor maybe although for one with good range might be a little costly. Also an Idea I had to use a shocksensor or simple car alarm and battery that would lock the brakes on your enclosed trailer.

But I think if somebody wants it bad enough it will be gone. Best bet is to make it a huge pain in the *** to get.

M

Menace1

Oct 23, 2008
Calgary
Baby monitor maybe although for one with good range might be a little costly. Also an Idea I had to use a shocksensor or simple car alarm and battery that would lock the brakes on your enclosed trailer.

But I think if somebody wants it bad enough it will be gone. Best bet is to make it a huge pain in the *** to get.

Thanks, will try the baby monitor idea this weekend, ill try the glock idea when I come to cranbrook Meat lol

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
if your sled looks like mine, nobody WANTS to steal it.. but seriously.. lock it to the truck so its a PAIN to get off, maybe throw locks on the saftey chains as well .. and figuring out a way to lock trailer brakes on would be slick, that would make it quite obvious when they took off tires howlin.

a good lock for the tongue on the trailer, and a good lock on the pin throught the hitch should stop most.. in reality, everything can be broken off, just make it harder and less desirable.

T
Mar 30, 2010
Lojack system, python alarm, and 185 db air horn that honks for 8 mins tied to a 20lb nitrogen tank. lojack only works in area where law enforcement have the tracking device. most rural areas don't but its one safety measure. back trailers up to walls or another trailer and jack knife so nothing can be unloaded. come up with a ignition or fuel system shut off so the truck can't be started I have hidden switch to cut the ground to the lift pump in the tank. the best alarms are so loud that the thief will just leave when setting it off

P

pylon

Jan 16, 2009
in the triple slide
i put a gps unit on mine this year . i wont say what brand on here but its set up so i know if my sled leave an area i have set out on google earth or if it move between 9 pm and 8 am . If it does move i get a call from my sled on my black berry and i can see where its going on there as well . theres alot of companies offering this for a better price than you would think

T

TApeX_07

Lojack system, python alarm, and 185 db air horn that honks for 8 mins tied to a 20lb nitrogen tank. lojack only works in area where law enforcement have the tracking device. most rural areas don't but its one safety measure. back trailers up to walls or another trailer and jack knife so nothing can be unloaded. come up with a ignition or fuel system shut off so the truck can't be started I have hidden switch to cut the ground to the lift pump in the tank. the best alarms are so loud that the thief will just leave when setting it off

FYI- truck can still run without the lift pump on. try it and see... Would be better to cut power from something else.

Z
Oct 8, 2003
Utah
I really don't know why they don't set up stings with the police to catch those bast****. If those scum bags knew that the Police were doing stings and had a good chance to get busted they would think twice before stealing someones stuff.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
FYI- truck can still run without the lift pump on. try it and see... Would be better to cut power from something else.
yeah, most will run fine, they just dont make the same power and its harder on the high pressure pumps. but still run plenty good to run off with your sheet. I know lots of flip chips for the 7.3 powerstrokes come with a no start mode, always nice.

and backing it in so they cant get to the trailer makes it a LOT harder to get to, even if you can unhook, the trailer cant move.. not a half bad idea, this way you have the truck to contend with as well.. just having to unhook a trailer and swap it onto another truck makes life easy for the crooks. even if you gotta cut a lock to get it off, still not a lot to deal with.

red

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Alberta
Maybe towns in the interoir of BC would help out, as sledding brings $ to there commiunty. RCMP could park " both ends of Revy, check out enclosed trailers, etc. Something has to be done! just about 0 interest in sledding if this contuines.

Last edited:

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
I have a system in my truck that will send push notification to my iPhone as soon as someone opens the door, breaks glass, or moves my truck. It will also show the route my truck is traveling on google earth. I also will have GPS in my sleds and trailer with realtime tracking and push notification. Come and get it you thiefs. We are going to start nailing you mofo's and putting you dics in jail. Its about time !

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
Well the sledding season is finally here. With that comes the beginning of the wonderful hot topic surrounding snowmobile theft. Its already taken place in Golden, sleds and a trailer went missing from a hotel parking lot (post already about this on SW and Snow/Mud). Brutal!! My question is, how are people making their sleds and trucks theft proof this year? I know that in the USA there are many tracking devices available but unfortunatley none to my knowledge here in Canada. Im sure there is a possibility that would be thieves may view this thread so keep that in mind when answering my question. Thank you for any responses and I hope noone gets to know what it feels like to wake up in the morning to find that some low life degenerates have taken their valued possessions. See you on the hills!

I know future shop used to sell a gps tracking device that you could put in your own vehicle for theft purposes.

Last edited:

jrusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Edmonton
Heres a denver boot style wheel lock i started using last year.. Would slow them down abit.. Im thinking gps for this season..

NewTWL100only.jpg

Summitseeker

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2001
British Columbia
I really don't know why they don't set up stings with the police to catch those bast****. If those scum bags knew that the Police were doing stings and had a good chance to get busted they would think twice before stealing someones stuff.

They actually do that here in the lower mainland of BC. It is a spinoff from the Baitcar program which has really helped decline the amount of car theft in this area. They started doing it to sleds, ATV's and watercraft a couple of years ago.

http://www.baitcar.com/news?page=3 Check out the video too!

Just don't think they do in in Revy where a lot of theft still seems to occur.

Last edited:
P
Oct 16, 2009
jaffray bc
This is my thought, my freind can track his wife from his cell ph, via her cell ph, real time ! so in most cases, you can get a second cell ph added to your plan with no addition fee, so coulnt you hide the second ph in your sled ! while its sitting at night .battery would last 3 days, or could wire in a cell ph charger to battery, what do you think ?

C
Nov 26, 2007
kalispell, MT
I like the second cell phone idea with a twist; get Achmed to wire up some c-4 to the phone:tape2: sure, your sled is gone, but it WILL leave a mark on the wanna be thieves!!

What needs to be said is some of these thieves are on snowest; you can't tell me when Irmen's sleds/trailer got stolen, they didn't know what they were getting:face-icon-small-fro Along with m-5's sled; these were CUSTOM to the hilt!! We need to find these scum and catch them red handed.

Premium Features