• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Knee brace

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
O

Ore-sno

Dec 14, 2007
Northeast Oregon
What is the general opinion on them, good or bad? I know this was a topic a while back with some people saying their Doctors said they did more harm than good. Here is my situation, I have a very unstable left knee, torn pcl and mcl. I am trying to keep it from getting worse so I need a brace that will offer allot of support. looking at the DonJoy brace's right now, about $450.00:( So what do think, let me hear your experiences and opinions:face-icon-small-hap

K
What is the general opinion on them, good or bad? I know this was a topic a while back with some people saying their Doctors said they did more harm than good. Here is my situation, I have a very unstable left knee, torn pcl and mcl. I am trying to keep it from getting worse so I need a brace that will offer allot of support. looking at the DonJoy brace's right now, about $450.00:( So what do think, let me hear your experiences and opinions:face-icon-small-hap

What a Drag! I know what you mean. Both of my knees are un-stable from football and hockey injuries. What I've been told by physiotherapists is, if you wear a knee brace all the time the muscles will stop supporting the injured site, get weaker and the knee eventually becomes less stable. However wearing a brace during an activity where you have the potential to do further damage is not only acceptable but smart. I wear braces on both my knees while playing net in ice hockey with no problems or limitation of movement. These are not the huge Donjoy brace but the neoprene brace with the metal hinge in each side of the knee. They actually work really well, I would not be able to play without them. I do know guys who ride with the Donjoy brace and really like them, but they don't wear them all the time. Trying to keep the muscles strong around the injury site with excercises from physio are really important too. Good luck!:beer;

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
As said above.. keep your leg strong... cross training and strenght exercises... as we get older... everything needs more work to keep the same.

I ride with custom braces on both knees... CTi Vapor sports. it is so compact that I can wear it under blue jeans if I remove the patella cup.

I switched out from the DonJoy a while back... The DonJoy brace migrated (slipped down) too much for my taste (same PA fitting both). Also the CTi braces can be put on or removed with boots on... you dont need to "step through" the brace. This is personal preference and I think that the DonJoy is a top performer as well.

I'm a believer in bracing... Even for those with healthy knees... most Pro Moto guys wear bracing that have healthy knees

All of the brands offer OTS (off the shelf) bracing that fits most people but if your knees or leg is outside of the norm... best to invest in a custom brace.

Get a prescription from your doctor for a knee brace... most insurance pays for them.

I'm not a fan of the Asterisk as you have to lace it up to put it on.

Another OTS brace that is getting some attention is the POD-MX bracing.

I think Monte on the forums here carrys the different brands at Bobs cycle...Drop him a PM.

People seem to be very attached to what brand works for them...The CTi and DonJoy seem to be the "top dogs" in the business. A lot of pro Rodeo guys wear the DonJoy... the company participates in a lot of the events and puts out a lot of sponsorship that builds a strong following.

The fit is very important as well as something with Patella protection.

My 2 cents.

CTi.jpg

JCM-08027-001-003_1_.jpg

Last edited:
O

Ore-sno

Dec 14, 2007
Northeast Oregon
Thanks for the response, I do my best to keep the supporting muscles strong, my job helps, by climbing wind turbines more than I would like. The pcl injury happened many years ago and I have managed so far. took a hay bale to the knee a few years ago and damaged the mcl. since then the knee has been getting worse. I will check into the Cti brace, thanks again!

S
Mar 17, 2009
knee braces

Ore-sno...braces are good for the types of issues you have..Most braces are copies of the Townsend brace out of Bakersfield California..the hinge rotates forward and then down which is exactly how your knee flexes. They are made from carbon fiber and titanium hinges..CTI / DonJoy and others are OK but they never touched the Townsend...i used to make custom braces for a living and they were the strongest and best fitting by far..

Scaredycat

G

geberhard

Dec 18, 2008
Oxford, Mi.
www.theeberhards.com
I have 1 CTI, and 1 CTI2 Brace. I have had numerous knee surgeries on both knees. As stated above when wearing all the time it becomes a problem. If you are only wearing the brace with harmful activity I think it is a must. As to not take on more problems later. My surgeon Said it was a good idea to wear them during riding.

H
Nov 9, 2001
Lincoln Nebraska
Why not have your knee fixed?

I used a brace until I could get knee repaired then graduated from more ridgid support to soft brace then finally to no brace at all. Sledding will help rebuild your knee strength quickly.

O

Ore-sno

Dec 14, 2007
Northeast Oregon
Why not have your knee fixed?

I used a brace until I could get knee repaired then graduated from more ridgid support to soft brace then finally to no brace at all. Sledding will help rebuild your knee strength quickly.

The doc told me as long as I can do what I want to wait. I'm looking at major reconstruction not O-scope. he said when it finlay goes we will fix it:eek:

Premium Features