• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Thermostat Questions (2012 Silber Pro RMK)

C
Mar 2, 2011
Saskatchewan
Hi guys.

Just in the final stages of putting my 12' Silber Pro back together and was going to do the "$28 dollar" thermostat mod. I am interested to see if anyone else running a Turbo on their pro has done this. I could not get mine to fit without many hoses and parts rubbing together causing potential leaks.

Does anyone have any experience running no thermostat in a turbo pro? If so how is it for warming up and warming up after stopping for say 15 mins?

Does Polaris make a thermostat for the Pro RMK's that open earlier? ie say 110 Degrees F?

If anyone else has ideas to cool the sled down and keep it closer to that 115-125 degree range feel free to comment!

K
May 10, 2009
Calgary, AB
Polaris doesn't make a cooler thermostat option.

I have heard of guys with no thermostat, gutted thermostats and others that make different sized washers in place of the thermostat. Sometimes this takes a couple rides to get the hole size right in the washer to reach desired temps.

C
Mar 2, 2011
Saskatchewan
My concern with eliminating or gutting the thermostat is that won't the motor get a shot of ice cold coolant from the heat exchangers if there is no thermostat?

can anyone comment on their experience with running no thermostat?
Ie: Warm up time from a cold motor?

also how long do you have to wait to ride after stopping for 5-10 mins?

Also if anyone could chime in on the size of washer required to run no thermostat that would be great!

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
I have no experience my self on the matter per say, though a mechanic by trade.... So the sleds have a thermostat for a reason and as do any engines, to not run one is asking for trouble, you have all that heat happening in the cylinders being produced, and greatly more under boost. If you have no t-stat the engine will run cold most the time, maybe very cold, I'd expect severe piston scuffing to occur as the pistons are hot and want to expand and the cylinders will be trying to squeeze in on them or even a cold seize. So I'd advise against taking the t-stat out and go with an alternative solution such as the xp t-stat or what ever other options are out there.

I believe the main complaint of the factory t-stat is it runs hotter than some may like and may cool off the engine too quick when hitting the powder/heat soaking after a pull?

I haven't had any issues my self, I let the sled idle after sitting for a period of time, say at lunch. idle for minutes, I then do a slow ride around an area to get everything up to temp/cooled coolant flowing. After a climb or some fun, itll idle again for a minute before shutting off...

Premium Features