• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Need help on this one ?

P

ped

Oct 22, 2011
York NE
I put a new top end in my 03 mountain cat 900, Everything went together fine until it was time to torque the jugs down. I went took them to 35 ft lbs and went over them again. then went to 50 ft lbs and on one of the front bolts just does not seem like it is getting tight enough, it acts like it is stripping out. I stoped and it is at about 48 ft lbs. my fear is that with heating and cooling of the motor and vibration it will work loose. Got any ideas on how to fix this? I was wondering if I can tap it one size bigger? And if so could you do this with out tearing down the top end again and having to get new gaskets and seals all over again? I can get a tap with a long shaft on it so it will reach down into the block and the bolt hole in the jug is oversized for the bolt already? Thoughts and opinions on this one would be great thanks. Until I get a good idea I will :censored: :beer;

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
you should be able to reuse your gaskets etc..second time around i love spraying abit of a film of that permatex spray a gasket on the used gasket surfaces..

i would go the distance on that bolt and torque it like it was 'A" okay...if she torques up fine with that stripped feeling gone then you know it was just an exagerrated felling..

if it strips you are no further behind then what you are now...and you will have to oversize or helicoil..

just make sure you use a bottoming tap which ever way you do it...

Idcatman1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ashton, Idaho
Torque should only be 26 to 30 lbs on those bolts. My guess is you have stripped it. Oversize might be possible but a threaded insert is your best bet. You will have to take the cylinder off again, but like M8... said I would have no problem using the base gaskets again.

Meatman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
another vote for helicoil....had a bad hole on a set of jugs on my first motor, helicoil and didn't look back...just be damn sure you get it drilled out straight or you are going to be in a world of pissed off

P

ped

Oct 22, 2011
York NE
Ok thanks for the help guys were do I go to get a heli coil in that size. I have not messed with them before. Second Lets get on the same page about the torque specs. The info that I got was to torque the heads to 18 and then take them up to 27 ? So I went in a criss cross pattern and went to 18 on them then to 27. Jugs was same thing just 35 and then take them to 50???? is this wrong?

Idcatman1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ashton, Idaho
I just checked my service manual and it appears I was wrong and Ped is right about the torque numbers. I have been going with 28 ft/lb for years and have stripped a couple threads even there and have never had cylinder base nuts or bolts come loose. Don't remember where I got my 26 to 30 number. Sorry for the misinformation. I have been talking with ped with PMs and suggested a Fastenall store for the inserts. Most auto parts stores should have some also.

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
Thanks for the information. What do you mean by a bottoming tap?

well if ya go for helicoil they often include the right tap...but for your interest sake a bottom tap cuts the threads to the bottom of the cavity which is closed on the bottom..ya just have to blow or vacuum the residue out...the other taps generally require a through hole but you can use a starting tap then switch to a bottoming tap for bottom tap applications..and you have as well what they call a taper tap...

and if ya can;t drink whiskey straight there is a water tap...

Last edited:

01ZRTCAT

Mar 12, 2010
I have a old service manual 13 to 20ft lbs head, 29 to 43ft lbs base, case bolts 29 to 43ft lbs all in three steps, I do two steps on the head bolts

Premium Features