• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

(New) 2000 Mountain max 700... very curious... any thoughts?

R

ryansmowing

Nov 22, 2011
Bothell WA
Hey - I've owned one sled from each of the other brands - decided it was time to try out Yami...

Just picked up over the weekend - here's what it's got:

700 triple
Triple pipes (power inc)
V force reeds
HiTech clutch / possibly just the kit? primary and secondary
Custom airbox
151 2" track
Custom paint, hood, handle bars, risers, upgraded suspension (so previous owner says)
Down geared for climbing
Overall great shape
$1500 (good deal? - bad deal?)

I got it because I'm looking for something that will really climb and I was assured that this would do it - With all the mods - I'm thinking it will... your thoughts? Guy said it'll hang with stock 900's on climbs - I'm hoping so!

NOW the curious part... COMPRESSION is at 55-57 psi in each cylinder... I thought it had to be a bad tester - so I switched testers - same result... I assume I need a top end rebuild ASAP? Starts first pull - runs pretty well... slight hesitation when you nail it... another slight hesitation as clutch engages (if throttling up slowly)

BUT - this is on last years gas with a stabilizer in it - is that what's going on? or compression? or normal? or something else?

Cheers and any thoughts would be awesome

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
you have a great sled...i love the mountain max..

hmm..the compression..did you take it wih the throttle held wide open..pulled over 4 or five times??..i would even think it would start at 55 psi..??..strange that EACH cylinder is the same..???...overheated and cylinders glazed..??

heisitation...you can spray your carb boots and clutch side crankcase seal with brake clean or starting fluid or wd 40 and if ya notice it has effect on rpm's your seal or boots are leaking

L

leadfoot33

Aug 31, 2010
Prince George BC
mountain maxs are awesome still got one just in case i get bored. that thing will fly with those pipes and such as long as jetted properly, the hesitation could be the jetting being out dependant on weather. somthing doesnt seem right with the compression though. how many pulls did you do? wide open?

R

ryansmowing

Nov 22, 2011
Bothell WA
Thanks for your input... That compression is baffling isn't it...

all spark plugs out, 6 pulls each, throttle wide open... I'm 6'5" and 200 and was giving it everything I had haha...

It would just be strange that 2 different comp testers would be bad with the same numbers right??? about 2 psi difference between individual cylinders...

Good thought on the jetting being out... it's jetted for 4k feet and 30 F... I was testing @ 75 F and sea level...

M
Jan 14, 2004
Is it ported? A ported sled will show low compression. Try it out before you tear it apart it may be fine. My old SRX was ported and it read low on a compression test.

M5

Premium Features