• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2018 850 recall

I
Jul 5, 2001
Broken bolt

Keep your eye on these bolts if ya don’t get it in the dealer, checked torque on mine when new and now 100 miles and lower bolt broke head off......:face-icon-small-fro

New grade 8 bolts in there now and no looking back.....:face-icon-small-hap

20171130_160902.jpg

Last edited:

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
Keep your eye on these bolts if ya don’t get it in the dealer, checked torque on mine when new and now 100 miles and lower bolt broke head off......:face-icon-small-fro

New grade 8 bolts in there now and no looking back.....:face-icon-small-hap

Its not necessarily the bolts(strength), replace it with an M8 x 40mm and a nut at the back, that is the best way and done properly.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
They changed the original update on the 24th. First update was to torque the stock bolt. If it broke or stripped, replace with a through bolt and nut. After the 24th, it said to replace the stock bolt with a new bolt, if it stripped or broke then replace with a through bolt. The original bolts were self-tappers, the updated bolt is a normal one. The machines/people that installed them at the factory clearly overtorqued them. I did my recall, the replacement bolt didn't break or strip threads. A lot of the original self tappers broke when doing the original update.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Changing out the bolts pays .3 hour, replacing with through bolts pays .6. Prolly why your dealer wants to replace them. Honestly, through the changed update, my dealer didn't have the new short bolts in stock. I didn't want to wait, so I said that I would just strip them, then install the long ones. After thinking about it, I decided to wait and do the update as written., I figured that breaking a fresh bolt off in a good hole would be a major headache for replacement. Glad I waited, as mine snugged up to 21 pounds great.

NoSoup4U

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2009
Northern Utah
Has anyone had the new bulletin done for the helix bolts ?

For those like me who's dealer isn't close by or you'd just rather do it yourself, if you don't have access to new ski-doo bolts you can replace the torx helix bolts with hex head bolts. This has the advantage that you can check and make sure the bolts are still tight without removing the secondary. The bolt size is M8 x 1.25 x 25mm. I use grade 10.9, which is stronger than the stock bolt. Tighten to 24 ft/lb and use plenty of blue locktite.

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
For those like me who's dealer isn't close by or you'd just rather do it yourself, if you don't have access to new ski-doo bolts you can replace the torx helix bolts with hex head bolts. This has the advantage that you can check and make sure the bolts are still tight without removing the secondary. The bolt size is M8 x 1.25 x 25mm. I use grade 10.9, which is stronger than the stock bolt. Tighten to 24 ft/lb and use plenty of blue locktite.

Just so you know it is not the strength of the bolt, so going stronger is not always better, a stronger bolt can be more brittle, the best way to do this is to add the nut at the back, it then is torqued, not off the material it is in but against the part with a nut, this is the best way to do this and ensure longevity.

NoSoup4U

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2009
Northern Utah
Just so you know it is not the strength of the bolt, so going stronger is not always better, a stronger bolt can be more brittle, the best way to do this is to add the nut at the back, it then is torqued, not off the material it is in but against the part with a nut, this is the best way to do this and ensure longevity.

I agree with what your saying on the bolts for the clutch support housing. What I was referring to is the new bulletin to replace the four torx bolts on the back of the secondary that hold the helix to the secondary itself (can't put a nut on these). Just saying if you want to do it yourself and don't have replacement bolts from Doo, you can go down to your local hardware store and get a replacement that will work just as well.

Last edited:

NoSoup4U

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2009
Northern Utah
I read about it on dootalk in the Freeride forum in a thread about two new bulletins coming out. They said it was bulletin 2018-3? Anyway, it is VIN specific and if you call BRP at 888-272-9222 with your VIN they can tell you if there are any bulletins affecting your sled. I called and they told me there were three for mine: support bolt replacement, QRS support bolt replacement (I think these are for the same thing), and QRS stripped/broken bolts. I think it's the last one that has to do with replacing the 4 bolts on the back of the QRS. My sled is a Summit 175.

Your dealer can also enter your VIN into the BUDS system and get the same info.

Premium Features