• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

IF YOU WERE TO SIT WITH THE ENGINEERS TO DISCUSS THE THE AXYS... WHAT WOULD YOU ASK?

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
First off... I want to keep this constructive.
So... No comments like "this XX-part is Junk"... "or Ride a Doo/Cat/Yami"
I'll delete those quickly.

Please keep comments about others posts in this thread to a minimum.. Just a place to air YOUR desires for the 2017 sleds.

If you want to see something improve... For example the A-Arms... Be specific with your input... articulate what you like or don't like... and give some examples of how you would improve it.

The engineers and production managers DO look at these kinds of threads... and value solid input...

So...

What would like to see in the 2017 Axys-Mountain Line up?

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
I'd like to see the 2017 SKS offered in a 163" model, with both track choices, Cromoly A-arms of the RMK width. Also would like to see the factory raise the footwell "loops/toe-hooks". I'd like to see more robust front bumper mounting, like the aftermarket is offering. Keep the clicker shocks...but put the Needle shocks with the 5/8" shafts on it.

Make this the Heavy Duty Boondocker model that people can abuse and use in warmer weather also.

Last edited:
M
Feb 7, 2009
Wabush, Labrador
I might get flamed.. but a factory built 4 stroke axys would rule the 4 stroke world. Not saying abandon ship on the 2 stroke. But offer a 140-150 hp 4 stroke as well.. and watch the Yamaha and Arctic cat guys flock in.. wouldnt be long before ski- doo followed along. That is unless they are already working on one.

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
We have different handle bar height to choose from, why not different height seat ? Cork or something under the heated grip, factory teather,

wfieldin

Lifetime Membership
Jul 28, 2009
Denver
Grip Heaters

We have different handle bar height to choose from, why not different height seat ? Cork or something under the heated grip, factory teather,

Actually the AXYS Grip Heaters have insulation on them, they are different than the Pro's.

I would like to see the dash storage area improved so you can put a spare set of goggles in there and they will stay warm, the current storage just fills up with snow.

I don't know if this is with all the machines but the fact that the dash has issues with very cold temperatures is bothersome.

Lastly and since you asked, the placement of the 3 toggle switches could be improved, I seem to always hit and break these, not sure how, but I did it on my Pros too.

Nit picky refinement stuff, I love the chassis and track, thanks for asking MH.

T
Feb 10, 2013
Idaho falls, Idaho
Picky little thing but would it be that hard to redesign the seat, keep the weight down and have some storage in the back. I hate the soggy storage bags.

Somehow build a tunnel and running boards that don't carry so much snow.

Reliable motor I can count on for 3 or 4 seasons with normal riding.

How about a sled that automatically unstucks itself??? Ok, I went too far didnt I.

Indy_500

Lifetime Membership
Jul 8, 2011
Greenville, WI
I want to see stronger chromoly a arms, factory tether, a 146 rmk model, expand the sks into all track lengths, better paint on everything, and better shocks - maybe a snowcheck exclusive package with Fox evols or something alike. I would definitely pay more for those.

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
some kind of tunnel finish that keeps ice build-up to a minimum, maybe add a little weight for powder coating, but would still be far less than the ice that builds up: some kind of good quality consumer adjustable shock, maybe a fox evo, but with better damping, don't need $2500 after-market stuff, but just being able to make adjustments for daily ride differences, and have some rebound control: i don't like the hooks on the handle bars, maybe a 30-40 degree bend with some stippled grips: a factory tether that i don't have to live in fear of causing some electrical problem/short: a little space between tunnel and rear grab/lift bar so that 4 hands with gloves on can get a good grip: last, but not least, i think every rmk should come with a really good chocolate chip cookie..:face-icon-small-hap

snowracer21

Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2012
I really thing a well sorted out, factory boosted (turbo or supercharged) mountain sled would sell like hot cakes, if priced right.

D

drjcat

Jan 27, 2010
Prince George,British Columbia
I have a slightly modded 13' pro 163 with a 3'' challenger and avid 7 tooth drivers, In summary for our type of riding (deep and steep) that combination is very desirable and works excellent, I would like the new Pro Rmk to be available with a 3'' track option "with" the quick drive system NOT just the chaincase style. They have such great technology there with the Quickdrive seems a shame not to use it. And as previously mentioned some inner powder coating to rid the snow build up to help in real world conditions.Great thread MountainHorse!

P
Nov 30, 2015
SE Idaho
Base RMKs in the Axys chassis and drop the Pro-Ride. It would be like the SKS without the the clicker shocks and a few other things. Gives more people a chance to own the new chassis. Chain case, front cooler, no carbon, but keep the Pro handle bars and hooks. Built in under seat storage, I mean seriously my backpack gets too heavy. Teather, I am sure the government will eventually require it anyway. Pay me to work for you and I could provide more feedback, haha.

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Just refine the 16.

The intake vents get covered/plugged with in certain temps/snow conditions.
The fuel mapping needs improvement, overly rich in many conditions.
Many sleds have out of range TPS settings causing idle and starting problems.
Coolant hoses rubbing on engine parts, missing hose clamp on coolant lines.
Poor quality paint on running boards and rails. Chip and flake off easy.
Very poor quality steering post bushings, wearing out in just a few hundred miles.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
An RMK 800 146x2.6 would sell like crazy in the Midwest, U.P, and AK. A factory tether would be great. The option to add a front cooler to any snowchecked sled would be awesome, I dont think I could live without one after switching to a standard RMK in 2015. I realize I can get a front cooler on the SKS, but I really dont want the e start, chaincase, or clicker shocks.

Laundryboy

Lifetime Membership
Oct 31, 2012
Perhaps I just need some more seat time but to me the throttle is very sensitive. On my T-3 It seems easier to maintain a constant speed. If I'm opposite foot forward on the Axys, I'm afraid an accidental blip of the throttle will leave falling off.

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
An AXYS RMK Assault or SKS in the 144/146 length to replace the Switchback Assault. Not the full wide front end like the current switchback assault but the same front end as the new Assault has. Give it a stock 2" track but in snowcheck let there be the 2.6" and 1.6" cobra as options. This would be a perfect "crossover" sled for the midwest guys or a nimble short option for the guys that just want a shorter RMK.

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK
First of all I would like to commend Polaris for building such a great sled to start with. Honestly it is such a great improvement over the last sled. I absolutely love the sled and it impresses me every time I ride it. But like anything, there are a few things that could use some improvement:

-Higher quality of the coated parts. My painted spindles and rear suspension rails have already begun to flake on the first ride. I feel this subpar. The tunnel coating seems to be holding up well, but I feel like this shouldn't start to happen until the second or third season on the sled.

-Tighter quality control on TPS adjustment from the factory. I am one of the guys that had to adjust their TPS due to it not idling when cold. Even though I am fully capable of making these type adjustments, I feel that it should come from the factory without needing such simple adjustments.

-Tighter quality control on exposed wiring. I don't like the diagnostic terminals above the clutch are exposed to the elements where they could corrode. Also the wire on the regulator are hanging out with no protection along with the wires in front of the motor. I had to do additional loom to protect from chaffing.

-Main coolant hose rubbing on recoil housing. Loom and support this hose to prevent rubbing a hole through the hose. I noticed chaffing right off the bat on the first ride and had to zip tie the hose out of the way. Again, I know I am capable of doing this, but you guys did a really good job in other areas routing and securing hoses/wires but this was a oversight.

Handlebar post bushing need tighter tolerance. My sled from the beginning has tons of play. Since this is the part of the sled I am constantly grabbing/hanging onto, I want it to be just as rigid as the rest of the sled. But props for building a tough stem. I had a spill on an icy trail causing the sled to roll over onto the bars. I thought for sure the post or bars would be bent, but it handled it great!

Front of hood comes unhooked too easily. Maybe make the hook a bit longer where it hooks into the tub. I have noticed it pops out very easily and I have had to rehook it into the tub several times while riding. This causes snow to come into the hood easily.

-Stronger arms and spindles. Obviously this has plagued the AXYS PRO RMK the worst. I personally haven't had any issues with the forged arms or longer spindles, but I do worry about every little bump I hit that they may bend/snap off(spindle). I am grateful for your attempt to make a lighter/stronger arm, but I feel they are a bit too weak. Also with the taller spindle design there is obviously more leverage put on the lower section causing them to be either beefed up or made out of different material.

-Snowcheck option for 36" width a arms. I love that I was able to have so many options to dial my sled in from the factory. Seriously it is the first sled I've owned that I didn't tear the whole thing down to make it the way I want. But I would love to have different options for the front width. While I feel the AXYS chassis definitely makes the sled more responsive to rider input, I would like to have an option from the factory for a 36" front end.

Overall I am a very pleased customer and thank you for making a great sled even better. I love all the little improvements and big ones like the amazing throttle response in the motor! Please keep pushing the envelope and giving us a great value product.

Last edited:
Premium Features