• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Helmets

J
Sep 20, 2014
Always have used heated shield helmets. Have had two for my RMK and they did not work the greatest. Looking to switch to open face with goggles. We ride off trail 70% and on trail 30%.
What do you recommend for helmets and goggles?

V

vector boy

Jan 5, 2008
Norfolk, NE
Something that seals and doesn't leak air. I like my Fly F2 and 509 Sinister goggle combo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
Your best bet will be best to buy a combo from the same outfit. They will fit togather the best.
I would recommend buying a cheaper version to make sure you feel comfortable in it. All though if you double down and get a high quality set theres no way a guy wouldn't like it!
I have a few sets of 509 goggles a couple aviators and a couple sinisters they do pretty good and the best part is the customer service. They have helped me out a few times after taking some branches to the face

J
Sep 20, 2014
Ok. Thank you.
What do you all recommend? Open face with goggle combo or stay full face helmet? I have always been full face. But want to switch to open. Wise choice or?

V

vector boy

Jan 5, 2008
Norfolk, NE
Open will allow your head to breathe. I've ridden with guys that have switch and all they talk about is how much better they can see, how much cooler their head stays, how few of fogging problems they have, etc etc. the biggest thing is having them seal and getting a combo that fits you. No 2 guys in all the groups I've ridden with wears the same combo. For me, the Fly F2 with 509 Sinisters works amazing. For someone else, they could be fogging all day. If you're close to a snowshow, or a dealership that is well stocked, go and try on helmet and goggle combos. Even a cheap Fulmer with Scott goggles is a decent combo we have sold many times for guys just trying out the goggle thing but not wanting to drop $500+

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Indy_500

Lifetime Membership
Jul 8, 2011
Greenville, WI
Fly F2 and 509 Sinister X5's gets my vote. I currently own a 509 Evolution lid and IMO their helmets don't hold a candle to the quality of a Fly. My next helmet will be a Fly F2. Make sure to get a "cold weather" F2 model, not only do you get a breath box but the padding and insulation of the helmet is different. As far as goggles go I've owned a few sets of 509 sinisters and a set of X5 black ops. I could NEVER go back to the regular sinisters. the X5's are worth every penny. Almost twice the viewing area. Mine have the polarized lenses and I have no problem riding at night, the definition of the lenses is incredible during those super sunny days or dull days where all the snow looks the same and it's hard to pick out bumps.

moto_786

Lifetime Membership
Jan 7, 2011
I would highly recommend trying out a troylee d3 or a fox carbon rampage mountain bike helmet I made the switch to the fox carbon rampage last year from wearing a shoei vfx helmet and wouldn't go back to wearing the moto helmet. I wore the shoei once last year when it was -20c and thought the Mtn bike helmet would be too cold the difference in weight was very noticable as well as how much larger the physical size of the helmet is. I wear 509 goggles with a med helmet and have no problems with the goggles sealing. I originally thought the vents might let too much snow into the helmet but the aluminum screens stopped snow from coming in. My head definitely stayed a lot dryer and I didn't sweat nearly as much in the fox helmet. This article on pinkbike is a good one it discusses the difference between how mx vs Mtn bike helmets are tested and rated as well as how they absorb impact.
http://m.pinkbike.com/news/DH-Helmets-vs-Motocross-Helmets-Which-Is-Safer.html

sledheadd

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
too far from mountains Alberta Canada
Yes Jorli that combo works very well for some but if you have a larger head even biggest Airoh helmet is kind of small. Most x-large helmets fit my noodle but the Airoh was really tight even without a balaclava.

Last edited:

Finnlandr

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 21, 2009
Parts Unknown
This combo, no better helmet/goggle combo made. Airoh Aviator and Oakley Airbrakes. Our clients love them!

On your recommendation last year I got an Airoh Aviator Helmet (paired w 509 Aviator) and could not be happier.....Thee best helmet I've ever had...I absolutely love it.... Thanks!

IMG_1365.jpg

Last edited:
J

Jorli

Jul 13, 2009
www.highmarkfilms.com
On your recommendation last year I got an Airoh Aviator Helmet (paired w 509 Aviator) and could not be happier.....Thee best helmet I've ever had...I absolutely love it.... Thanks!

Now if you'd just follow my recommendation on the goggles you might find room to be even happier! lol.

The helmets sizing might is bit smaller than most brands, it seems like the sizes are in between normal sizing. medium is tight, large is in between a large and medium, xl is in between a large and xl. The 2.0 feels tighter than the original 2013 models, probably just the lining. Its going to be really hard to beat to this lid, I'll be running one for the foreseeable future.

Cheers!-J

Premium Features