• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Burn down!!!!!

A

aktrucker

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 2, 2010
Got off work early and got to go on a little ride up at LL. Snow was good, pretty tracked though. The trail wasn't anything I couldn't handle, with a little help;).

I played around a bit. Was having a great time, when I started losing power. I stopped and she idled down and died (07 600HO SDI), wouldn't restart without giving a little squeeze on the flipper.

Decided to head back to the parking lot. Power kept dropping, then a lot of bog, then would come back to life......until......She caught on FIRE!!!:eek::eek::eek: All around the can there was fire....here's some pics of the carnage.....Not too bad concidering what could have been.

Still don't know how bad the motor is, but not much compression on the PTO side.

burnt skidoo 2.jpg burnt skidoo 3.jpg burnt skidoo 4.jpg burnt skidoo 5.jpg burnt skidoo 1.jpg burnt skidoo 6.jpg

A

aktrucker

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 2, 2010
Ye..I was "blazing" down the trail. It was a hiker on the side that yelled "HEY!!! YOUR ON FIRE!!!!", then RAN like hell!! I think if I had gone much longer, it would have burnt to the ground.

Looks like all I am going to need is a new can, a little bit of plastic, a new battery, and wires going to the battery. Not too bad considering:rolleyes: I am just glad she yelled at me, I hadn't even realized my right foot was getting warm until I looked down....then saw the smoke and went "oh ****!!! Gas tank????" kicked the side panel open, and started hucking snow....took me about 20-ish minutes to get the fire out.

A group came by and one pulled me down to the parking lot, and 3 of 'em helped me get my dead sled into the back of my pickup....Didn't get your names, but THANKS DUDES!!!:beer;:beer;:beer;:D

Unfortunately, I will be on the sidelines for the rest of the season I'm sure....too low on funds til summer, and the wife really wants her house fixed:(

Make sure I get LOTS of riding pics from you guys......

A

aktrucker

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 2, 2010
I was really glad it didn't get my gas tank....flames were 1-2" from the hose at the bottom of the tank:eek:

E
Feb 24, 2008
Los Anchorage
Sorry to hear about the fire. I too torched my 06 Summit last year when my jackshaft bearing blew, causing the jackshaft to rub holes in my carb float bowls. Add a little friction and gasoline---instant fire.

I would have let the sled burn, but I had no insurance. It was amazing how much snow was needed to kill the fire.

A

aktrucker

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 2, 2010
Sorry to hear about the fire. I too torched my 06 Summit last year when my jackshaft bearing blew, causing the jackshaft to rub holes in my carb float bowls. Add a little friction and gasoline---instant fire.

I would have let the sled burn, but I had no insurance. It was amazing how much snow was needed to kill the fire.

It was amazing how much snow it took to get it out.....kept relighting itself behind the can....was a pain to get snow to it.

T

Tookes

Nov 26, 2007
Anchorage
D, sorry for your lost and the rest of the season, maybe Sled salvage here in Anchorage has your parts for cheap, just a thought.

A

aktrucker

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 2, 2010
D, sorry for your lost and the rest of the season, maybe Sled salvage here in Anchorage has your parts for cheap, just a thought.

I was planning on calling them on Monday with a list of parts to get a quote....but funds are real tight, we'll see what happens. Before I start rebuilding her though, I need to get the jugs off and see what happened with the motor.....IF the cylinders are OK, I will go from there.

Best I can tell....lost a cylinder, was running like poop, tripped the det sensor because of the backfiring and such, went into "limp mode" and was dumping mass fuel into the can:confused:

Luckily, I have new pistons and rings ready to go in:)

A
You better be glad that hiker spotted the fire. You sir are lucky in this bad situation. Since you need a new exhaust can, I might be intrested in you burned one if you wanna sell it really cheap.
Good luck on finding some affordable parts, might not be an ending to your season.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
That could have been much worse trucker..glad your ok..if I had any doo parts they would be yours...good luck and get her going again....:beer;:beer;

A

aktrucker

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 2, 2010
Thankful

You better be glad that hiker spotted the fire. You sir are lucky in this bad situation. Since you need a new exhaust can, I might be intrested in you burned one if you wanna sell it really cheap.
Good luck on finding some affordable parts, might not be an ending to your season.

Yes, I know....I was surprised I got the fire out. I was very happy that hiker saw that, I could only imagine if the flame had gotten to the fuel line/gas tank while I was still riding it:eek:.

All in all, it is a good lesson.....I will be insuring my sleds from now on......not including the engine work (I knewit was going anyway), new the parts would run around $400-$500, I will get used so I am guessing around $200-$300, might just be dooable....as long as the engine is only the top end:)

A

aktrucker

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 2, 2010

I am curious......why would you want to buy a burned exhaust can:confused:

I was thinking of cutting it open.....it is rattling on the inside and I am curious if a baffle broke and plugged the can and THAT is maybe what took down my PTO cylinder????

Still haven't cracked open the motor to find out if it is gonna be just a top end...

A

ak49er

Dec 10, 2008
Big Lake, AK
My '03 REV 800 did this.

With my particular engine, the oil pump setting was too high, allowing too much oil to pass through the engine, loading up in the suitcase sized silencer.

These sleds also had weak OEM intake boots, so while ripping across the lake the MAG side boot gave way and then went way lean, heated up the oil coking in the can, and smoldered a fire right inside the silencer, which created enough heat to melt the aluminum heat shields, which dripped onto the plastic, whcih caught on fire.

I only noticed all this after stopping the sled at the Lodge, and noticing a bright orange ball "glowing" on the snow, on a bluebird day,at high noon. The fire in the can was so hot it "outshined" the noon sun.

Luckily I was still under warranty then.

I have had VFORCE boots fail after one season as well. If they get a few few cracks, they can fail real easy. I have also added my own return spring to the oil pump on both the REV and the Poo.

A

aktrucker

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Jan 2, 2010
more pics.....more damage

More bad news......the downed cylinder is pretty serious.....piston, head, cylinder all toast on the PTO side.......Gonna have to split the case now, can't stand not knowing if anything got in there.....I think I'm gonna get the crank checked to....

cylinder 1.jpg cylinder 2.jpg head 1.jpg head 2.jpg piston 1.jpg piston 2.jpg piston 3.jpg

P
Feb 24, 2008
happened to my aunts sled. hot lead from the battery rubbed through on the brake rotor and started the oil tank and fuel lines on fire.

Premium Features