• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Boots for Big Feet

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Well after 4 seasons on my current set, I'm in the market for new boots. I've been using HMKs since about 2004 or 2005 since they were the only company that made boots large enough for me. I currently wear a size 16. HMK made that size up until this year and I haven't been able to find a snowmobile specific boot that large. Tried on a pair of the Arctic Cat boots that look very similar to motorfist ones in a size 15 and it was a no-go. All the local shops have to charge me a 20% restock fee on any boots I order in a 15 to try if I end up having to send them back.

Anyone else out there with snow-shoe sized feet have luck finding boots? I'm tired of having to strap one on with Gorilla tape!

Clark42

Lifetime Membership
Jun 3, 2016
Washington
I usually wear a 15 in shoes(sometimes 16 depending on the shoe) and 16 in cleats, last year I bought a set of HMK voyager boots in size 15 and they're plenty big enough for me. I'd say they run large by half a size more or less.

Edit: you could also check eBay or amazon for last year's models/sizes

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I usually wear a 15 in shoes(sometimes 16 depending on the shoe) and 16 in cleats, last year I bought a set of HMK voyager boots in size 15 and they're plenty big enough for me. I'd say they run large by half a size more or less.

Edit: you could also check eBay or amazon for last year's models/sizes

The Voyager is what I have now in a 16 and they fit well. A 15 shoe is usually out of the question for me. So unfortunately going down a size likely isn't going to work.

I figured those places would be my best shot at finding some old stock. Just haven't been able to find any yet. That how I got my current set. I think HMK only made those 16s in very limited numbers because I had a hard time even finding them in stock 1/2 way through the season when I got my current set.

C

capulin overdrive

Apr 25, 2010
Have you called HMK and see if they could help?

Klim goes to 15 in the GTX, might be worth a try?

Columbia Bugaboot should work, they're 600gram waterproof, pretty much look like snomo boot, and huge sizes.

Other than that, dig through the thinsulate hunting boots. Gave some of those to my nephew for Christmas last year. He has super wide feet, and we didn't think any of the snomo boots would work.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Ordered a set of Motorfist Alpha boots in size 15 on a tip they fit a little large. Found a place that won't charge me a re-stock fee if I have to return them. If they don't work I'll order up a pair of the Columbia Bugaboots. I did find those in my size, and they are about 1/2 the price of the Alphas. Won't have nearly the ankle support though I'm sure. Beggars can't be choosers though I guess.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I had worn a pair of insulated leather hunting boots from Cabela's for a number of years. They worked good but replaced them with a pair of HMK Voyager BOA's. They were on sale in July that year so got them for what I thought was a steal. Size 16 was too small but fortunately they had a 17 available. The creases at the inside of the ankle are super stiff and wear on my ankle bone and now the boots are starting to leak a bit.

I also came across the Columbia boot as a potential option. I have that same style boot but in a 6" top and really find them warm and comfortable. The sole may end up being a bit soft when kicking snow off the boards so that may be a limiting factor to their overall longevity.

powderhound1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Lake Tapps
Boots for big feet

You might check out Whites Boots in Spokane, a couple of the guys I sled with have very large feet and both wear Whites Boots, they are completely rebuildable and have dealers around, Good luck, hope this helps

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
White's used to sell insulated Pac boots. I don't see them on their site any longer.

I have a couple pair of Hoffman Pac's, one air bob sole that I used to ride in and a pair of caulks for icy winter work. These were a size 15 but I am only seeing their list of boots going to a 14 now.

http://www.hoffmanboots.com/category.aspx?categoryID=4

This style of boot will keep your feet warm, but without a steel toe the rubber is too soft to kick snow/ice out of the footwells. They also don't have any substantial ankle support or foot protection as they are pretty soft. The air bob soles are pretty soft as well and get chewed up pretty fast on the running boards.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
Got a reply back that the large size 15 motorfist boots are out of stock for the season. Ordered these now today: http://www.oddball.com/pdetail/1025028

Reviews on the Columbia site and Amazon are a little mixed on the waterproof capability and toe warmth. It appears they are fairly stiff though so might be good in the support area.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I get all my shoes at Oddball.

Downtown Portland so I stop in when I am in the area. I think they sell from a size 12 and at one time clear up to a 28, narrow to square. Even had a trip in there a couple years ago when a new recruit for OKC was in getting fitted.

Since I am a frequent flyer with them, this showed up in my inbox this morning. Probably only good for today.

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
I think looking at Baffin.com would help. They make winter industrial boots for off shore oil rigs and extreme winter use.
They do have snow machines dedicated boots but think, they go to a 14 or 215. I use the Baffin Pivot and are an excellent boot.

I know you could find a surplus BATA mickey mouse boot to fit you

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Any luck with the Bugaboot Plus IV boot?

I'm tempted to pull the trigger, but could wait until later this month to see if anyone throws these on sale.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Not a great selection there either.

I see a couple problems going that route.

1) Bulky. They don't tend to fit on the running boards well and are more prone to sticking in the footwell/stirrup area
2) Too stiff to walk in. I don't do a lot of walking in mine but if I had to walk out, this would suck big time

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
The Bugaboot III boots I got last year were a little colder than I would have liked (as a number of the reviews stated). They were ok with doubled up socks. They are light and pretty easy to walk around in though. I have to check if they are still waterproof. Toward the end of the season they felt as if some water was getting in somewhere. Will have to plunge them in a water tub and find out here quick before my warranty is up. I remember a number of reviews saying they lost their waterproof ability too. The thin outer layer on the lower part of the boot is starting to crack where the toebox flexes when you walk.

Last edited:

Clark42

Lifetime Membership
Jun 3, 2016
Washington
Does a snowboard boot work ok? Maybe you'd have more selection? Quite the predicament...

They're waterproof and warm but the bottoms can't handle running boards. My old m series shredded the soles of my snowboard boots over the couple rides I brought my board

Premium Features