• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Base model/SE coil shocks

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Anybody ride or have a set of the zero pros that come on the base model proclimbs? The evols on my 2016 LTD are really good for air shocks. But they're still air shocks. I kinda miss having springs that always return the same sag point.

AC's parts blowup on the fiche looks like they're pretty straightforward. Easy to reshim etc. Seems like they'd be pretty easy to setup. And they're cheap.

Tyman212

Premium Member
Sep 1, 2012
Just bought a set when I converted to 36" front end as it was the cheapest option. And I like the idea of not having to mess with air pressure all the time. Are you referring to valving when you say reshim? The body is threaded to adjust spring preload.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
When I say reshim yeah, just changing the shim stack on the base piston. Part of what happenens in what most people call a revalve. You like them when you got them?

M
Oct 4, 2015
Montana
Coil Overs

Coil overs are linear rather than progressive like air shocks; I agree Evols/aux. canisters are way better than Float I/II's & I have all 3 types. The high end Raptors & others are coil overs! I like my Zero Pros on an '11 Crossfire but had to change out the RTS spring to a lower rate than the factory 200 lb one. Rasmussen, when he rode for AC swore by the Zero Pros with aftermarket Renton coil springs.:juggle:

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
The evols have that weird dual stage thing that engages a second piston. So you get ramp ramp ramp and then it opens. They used to do the same thing with mountain bike shocks and they sucked on those too.....for the same reasons. The evol piston doesn't always return to the same place, and hence you get varying spring pressures.

I've tried running the evol chamber bottomed out, so the whole shock is just one big continuous air chamber and it's definitely better. Still not a well tuned coil though. Not saying the zero pros are either but I think they could be, pretty easily.

M
Oct 4, 2015
Montana
Theory?

In theory a progressive air shock should be the ideal match for a mountain falling rate rear skid. In reality (seat of the pants) a coil over just feels better, not only on the rear skid, but on the front skis as well; that is, when setup well for the riders weight & riding style! Maybe Rasmussen was right all along with his preference for the Zero Pro with after market springs??

Premium Features