• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2012 PRO RMK no reverse, hard start HELP

H

Hansen13

Oct 22, 2011
Cranbrook, BC, Canada
2012 Pro with 3000 miles. Engine rebuilt couple years ago and sits at 120psi per cylinder cold.

For some reason takes 5-6 pulls to start cold, fine when it's warm. Won't go into reverse, idles around 1450-1550 RPM and no matter what I do it won't go into reverse. Yet sometimes it does, very rarely.

Today I re adjusted my TPS, figuring it was out of spec. I removed the cable (brand new) from the throttle, backed the set screw off on the throttle bodies, and set the base TPS setting to .700 +/- .01 V .. Then I turned the set screw in until I got .940 +/- .01V and set. Then I reconnected the throttle cable and adjusted the free play from there.

I'm kinda lost, everything else works perfect. Any ideas would be great thanks!! Wanna get out and break in the wife's sled but need mine running good too!

H

Hansen13

Oct 22, 2011
Cranbrook, BC, Canada
Fired sled up later on, everything worked great... Wiring somewhere? Grounds are good.
22caf69a68382e1e38a7dcdc2ec4bc28.jpg

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

Murph

Polaris Moderator/ Polaris Ambassador/ Klim Amb.
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
My first thought was TPS... but your procedure is spot on. Did you confirm 5.00 Volts on the signal wire to TPS?

Is your TSS bypassed with the aftermarket kill switch? The sleds won't want to go in reverse if the ECU thinks the throttle is being pressed.

Is there enough freeplay in throttle cable?

H

Hansen13

Oct 22, 2011
Cranbrook, BC, Canada
My first thought was TPS... but your procedure is spot on. Did you confirm 5.00 Volts on the signal wire to TPS?

Is your TSS bypassed with the aftermarket kill switch? The sleds won't want to go in reverse if the ECU thinks the throttle is being pressed.

Is there enough freeplay in throttle cable?
Yep I confirmed 5V before proceeding with the setup! TSS isn't by passed nope it fits right into the rsi heated throttle block I have.

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
Maybe a chipped or warped reed petal? Your idle is a bit on the low side so you could adjust the idle so it idles around 1700. That will increase your idle voltage somewhat which is perfectly okay and won't bother anything else.

H

Hansen13

Oct 22, 2011
Cranbrook, BC, Canada
Maybe a chipped or warped reed petal? Your idle is a bit on the low side so you could adjust the idle so it idles around 1700. That will increase your idle voltage somewhat which is perfectly okay and won't bother anything else.
How do I increase idle?? New reeds just put vforce 3's in.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
whats your idle rpm? I don't bother with the whole voltage thing for idle other than your base .700v, I set my idle to about ~2000, itll fluctuate from ~1850-2100 ish. may just be too low of an idle.

H

Hansen13

Oct 22, 2011
Cranbrook, BC, Canada
I had thought of this but thought it would throw off the base setting (basic reference) for the ecu.?
If you try it out report back on how that works,
Yeah I'm definitely not trying that I believe there is a base setting for a reason. I am taking those JUNK vforce reeds out before next ride see how it works.

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
I had thought of this but thought it would throw off the base setting (basic reference) for the ecu.?
If you try it out report back on how that works,

Adjusting the idle screw will not affect the base setting. The base setting is adjusted by moving the actual TPS sensor, but the base setting should be checked before adjusting the idle RPM.

I set mine to idle around 1800 or so.

Premium Features