• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

RKT pistons **survey**

M
Dec 11, 2007
Billings, Montana
I am looking for first hand experience with people that have installed RKT pistons with no other mods. Are you happy with them? Did you notice any performance gains/losses?

Sorry to bring this up again.

Last edited:

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Many of the RKT pistons went in the Pros with his head. The pistons are different with the head, vs. without, as you likely know. Different dimensions, but most were Wosner's, at least in the Pro.

This is abit outside of your qual, but I'll share first hand experience with Wosners. I put them in an 11 Pro with his head and multiple domes, ran for ~1100mi. No issues, it did have more power with the head of course, but higher water temps on average. Sold sled with kit in it. Pistons looked good from the exhaust ports, but didn't inspect closer. Personally, I would go with Indy Dan if I was going to keep the sled for at least two more seasons.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Put them in a pro last year after the stock piston seized. Dealer did it under warranty. Also got new Polaris cylinder as well as the RKT piston kit. Runs better now, a little more power. That was in a pro, not an axys. Putting a set in an axys with 2500 miles in the next week or do.

LongHorn XC

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Illinois
I had installed the RKT Pistons in a 12 Pro a few years back. I had great results with over 1500 miles on it before I sold it. The engine had ran much smoother with less vibration. Power felt a tad better as well. During the install, every measurement was made to make sure the pistons were perfect match to cylinders. Also, make sure you warm up the sled each morning (I always hit 100 degrees) before moving it. Also, after resting in the backcountry, make sure you warm up the sled again before moving. A cold seize could occur.

Hope this helps. I had great results with RKT and good customer service. Would I go that route again? Probably not. The newer Axys stock piston would probably be my choice.

D
I have used RKT Pistons on a Pro 2011, Pro 2012, and many customer sleds. I just got a set for my 2017 Axys. I did not look for any performance gains with just the pistons however I know what happened to the skirts on the stock Polaris pistons. Nothing but good to say about the pistons.

Premium Features