• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Why would you not have a Silber turbo axys?

X
Oct 8, 2009
I applaud the effort to drum up business. There are many benefits to a turbo sled, no doubt. There are also an equal number of downsides too. Readers deserve real feedback.

A Few Key Benefits
-Turbos can make big power depending on boost
-You can ride in areas you never could on a stock sled
-They sound sick and people take notice
-They are relatively user friendly these days
-You feel like a better rider on one
-The power helps reduce rider fatigue at the end of the day
-They can get you out of bad places with a passangers on-board

A few Key Downsides
-Turbo kits are expensive relative to the sled
-You never get the money back out of them
-Turbos hurt resale...people dont want a project gone wrong
-They can get you into bad places where you can get really hurt
-Some additional maintenance is required to properly care for one
-Yes, they do break and have problems, but so do new stock sleds
-They wear parts more quickly as boost increases due to more stress...simple physics

Personally, I love my turbo sleds because I ride deep snow in big mountains. Boost makes sleds do things stock sleds simply cannot. But, the gains do come at a price.

Finally, great power requires great respect. It should go without saying, respect the mountain. Just because your turbo can go there doesnt mean you should. Happy sledding.

Last edited:

snoballssnoglory

Lifetime Membership
Nov 20, 2008
I applaud the effort to drum up business. There are many benefits to a turbo sled, no doubt. There are also an equal number of downsides too. Readers deserve real feedback.

A Few Key Benefits

A few Key Downsides
-They wear parts more quickly as boost increases due to more stress...simple physics

Personally, I love my turbo sleds because I ride deep snow in big mountains. Boost makes sleds do things stock sleds simply cannot. But, the gains do come at a price.

Finally, great power requires great respect. It should go without saying, respect the mountain. Just because your turbo can go there doesnt mean you should. Happy sledding.

Spot On Sir.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aksledjunkie

Lifetime Membership
Feb 8, 2014
Alaska

This is an important part of sledding boosted or not. Agree 100%

J

JJ_0909

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 16, 2009

A Few Key Benefits

A few Key Downsides

Well said.

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
Very well stated about the pro and con for boost.
I manage to get myself to places on a non boosted AXYS that has me asking myself...WTF are you doing here old man!

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT

A Few Key Benefits

A few Key Downsides

Very wise words of boost. Fun costs money and if your ok with and understand that then most of the Cons go away!

The nice thing is with how clean and simple the kits are, I see resale being a lot better then kits of old. People still manage to hack things up but its a lot more effort to do it now. Shoot, the quality of the turbo kit parts is better then half the OEM stuff on an axys.

I think my favorite part about this setup is having a sled that rips as hard at 10k+ in evelation as hard as it does when I go ride down close to sea level. Its not insane fast up high, but I think people forget what even a 170HP motor runs like at 10k. We've all gotten pretty used to like 110-120 on a NA sled.

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
are you guys with sibler setups running hot fairly easy with factory cooling system? or no problems as long as scratchers down on the trail?

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
I don't have any issues with cooling, I would say maybe a tiny bit easier to get hot then stock but thats because there is a turbo under the hood radiating lots of heat

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
I don't have any issues with cooling, I would say maybe a tiny bit easier to get hot then stock but thats because there is a turbo under the hood radiating lots of heat

Ok that's what I kinda figured, bought a mtntk kit, ,comes with a massive cooler and integrates water to air intercooling but it's not standalone and I'm gonna change that just wanted to verify cooling characteristics where just like the pros.

Snowman.PRO.

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2015
MN
Very wise words of boost. Fun costs money and if your ok with and understand that then most of the Cons go away!

The nice thing is with how clean and simple the kits are, I see resale being a lot better then kits of old. People still manage to hack things up but its a lot more effort to do it now. Shoot, the quality of the turbo kit parts is better then half the OEM stuff on an axys.

I think my favorite part about this setup is having a sled that rips as hard at 10k+ in evelation as hard as it does when I go ride down close to sea level. Its not insane fast up high, but I think people forget what even a 170HP motor runs like at 10k. We've all gotten pretty used to like 110-120 on a NA sled.
I agree, on my old sled, 15 SBA 800.. It was 145-150 HP? At 10k 100-110? It felt so much faster at sea level than it did at 10k. It wasn't enough power for me at times.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
All depends how you ride. Personally I find the throttle is your friend in 95% if “oh shyt” situations. In 95% of those situations the more power the better. I spend as much time as possible in the trees and in as tight and technical places as possible. Having a well set up sled and boost just makes the whole thing better. Boost almost makes it too easy.

Premium Features