• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Extreme Skid Plate vs. Full Body

800xtreme

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Just looking for an opinion from folks as to which one they prefer. I have always purchased the full body style in the past but, luckily, never actually needed it. Meaning, I have yet to hit something where the skid plate "saved" me. So, thinking the extreme may be just fine.

The cost difference is not really a concern of mine but certainly a bonus. I do like that the Extreme offers some protection down the middle an the bulkhead but it is also a better "look" in my opinion and slightly lighter I suppose.

thanks

96-ramair

Lifetime Membership
Oct 11, 2012
Just looking for an opinion from folks as to which one they prefer. I have always purchased the full body style in the past but, luckily, never actually needed it. Meaning, I have yet to hit something where the skid plate "saved" me. So, thinking the extreme may be just fine.

The cost difference is not really a concern of mine but certainly a bonus. I do like that the Extreme offers some protection down the middle an the bulkhead but it is also a better "look" in my opinion and slightly lighter I suppose.

thanks
I have the full skid plate on mine, but installed the skinny one on my father-in-law's sled a couple weeks ago. As you mentioned, it does provide good protection between the A arms, and I like how it molds around the nose better than the full. Mostly because you don't have to remove the cast bumper to remove the skid plate like you do with the full.

The biggest drawback I expected was lack of chaincase protection, but as we compared them, the full doesn't protect the chaincase either. You get a bit more belly pan protection with the full (around the exhaust, etc) in front of each foot , but that's about it. The protection of the modules and back to the leading edge of the tunnel, where punctures would be a big problem as you watch your coolant leak out, is the same for both skid plates

If I had it to do over again, I'd get the extreme. It doesn't pack snow/ice around the A arms like the full does. With the full, I have to periodically bang out packed snow and ice from between the A arms that get trapped by the full skid plate. One limitation of the extreme is that it's only available in 2 colors (black and yellow), which may or may not be an issue for you.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Andystoy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2016
Extreme Skid Plate vs Full Body

Just a heads up, last years Skidoo skid plate did not cover the chain case or the brake resulting in reported damage to both these areas. RPM composites has a composite skid plate (very strong) not plastic that provides the best coverage I am aware of for the Summit. An added bonus is that it is bolted on and can be removed easily. There are pictures of the basic skid plate and the added protection on this site, ships in 3 pieces. JMO

800xtreme

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Thank you for taking the time to respond. I agree with 96-ramair that the full skid plates often result in a lot of snow/ice build up.

I have not heard or seen the skid plate by RPM composites but will check into it.

Any others?

Oct 2, 2011
I know this thread is a few months old....but I'm curious to know if anyone has purchased the full body skid plate and modified it minimally to decrease the snow holding. It most Deffinitly offers more protection in many different areas over the extreme. The front is nearly identical to the rpm skid plate. The rpm skid plate shares the same center protection as the extreme from doo. And the rear of the doo one and the rpm look similar...not exact but similar. Share your thoughts.

FearMyWrX

Premium Member
Jan 28, 2015
Auburn, WA
Also interested in knowing more about the Full vs Extreme.

The RPM looks awesome, just extremely expensive for obvious reasons.

Summit74

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
bozeman, mt
Thank you for taking the time to respond. I agree with 96-ramair that the full skid plates often result in a lot of snow/ice build up.

I have not heard or seen the skid plate by RPM composites but will check into it.

Any others?

RPM skid plate is more of an exo skeleton for the front end and protects the chaincase and brake areas. It’s bomber.

IMG_6144.jpg

IMG_6145.jpg

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I am just curious... not really on the skid plate train, do you guys buy them to save bulkheads and chaincases or whats the purpose? I feel like a rock smash that would trash either is gonna have no problem destroying a thin plastic plate as well?

High Voltage

Lifetime Membership
Jan 30, 2003
Helena, MT
Well instead of the edge of a rock grabbing the bulkhead, it gives you a chance to slide over it. No it's not bulletproof, but better than nothing.

Clutched Films

Lifetime Membership
Skid plate

I am just curious... not really on the skid plate train, do you guys buy them to save bulkheads and chaincases or whats the purpose? I feel like a rock smash that would trash either is gonna have no problem destroying a thin plastic plate as well?

They are worth every penny seen them take some gnarly hits with zero damage. It gives your sled a very good chance to slide over a rock or stump. My brother cut his canada trip short climbing he had his skis up and barley hooked a rock & ripped his heat exchanger right off. Aluminum is soft and doesn't give you any slide. At very least go with the extreme very very cheep insurance.

Wyopowder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 25, 2013
Skid

Went with the skinz Rasmussen bumper the regular skidoo skid plate and the skinz bash plate, it all went together very well. I noticed last year on the 2017 All the damage occurred on the brake rotor bump and chain case bump.

379F484B-D75A-4465-8938-36692AAC2E87.jpg 858CC585-CDEE-4E3A-B061-70321F26D3E4.jpg

brandon227

Lifetime Membership
Nov 3, 2010
North East Wyoming
I would have loved to do the RPM composites skid plate( not enough $$$). Instead I did a skins bash plate and a Rasmussen front bumper. I have always done an extreme on my XMs and would have gone that way if not for the bumper fit issues that some have reported.

M
Mar 7, 2008
Almont, Michigian
Went with the skinz Rasmussen bumper the regular skidoo skid plate and the skinz bash plate, it all went together very well. I noticed last year on the 2017 All the damage occurred on the brake rotor bump and chain case bump.

That's good to know Wyopowder , that the Rasmussen bumper will work with doo's extreme skid plate, according to skinz they said there bumper would not work with any skid plate, did you have to use longer bolts? Thanks for sharing, i have the same bumper for my G4, and I want to use one of Doo's skid plates, looks like I will use the extreme skid plate now, knowing that you made It work, but I'm still waiting on getting my new sled!!:face-icon-small-coo

Last edited:

800Gader

Premium Member
Apr 16, 2005
Wisconsin
Either

Both Ski-doo plates work well, but like the extreme when using the curved a-arms, this makes for nice clearance, less resistance.

revone

Premium Member
Dec 16, 2007
I have the full skid plates mounted on my sleds, but cut out under the a-arms in an arc to let snow evacuate, seems to work real well.

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
The previous extreme is now called the race and is super small, it really just protects the front exchange from being ripped off, so have always gone with the full skid plate, for 2020 I would go with the new extreme as it protects in the right places and it a bit more cut out near a-arms, which is only important if you ride multiple days with deep pow and never bring your sled in, if you dont take a mallet and clear the snow build up there the next day will be harder steering etc. but if you bring your sled into dry each night the full will work as well. I am going with the new extreme, protection where you need it and less where you don't and cheaper.

Ski-doo#1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2011
GreatWhiteNorth
To make everyone's choice a little bit tougher...

I had a buddy take a hit and not to the skid plate but to the ski/a-arm.

Took off the a-arm to the point where he couldn't use that side of the sled. With the full body skid plate he was able to ride all the way back about 10 miles, using it as a ski. The damage to the skid plate was minimal and you can't tell it was rode on for those 10 miles.

This is something I don't believe you could do or something that might not be easy to do with the new extreme or the race skid plate.

Dave makes a great point, if you bring your sled in every night the full-body would be worth it more so.

Premium Features