• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Full SLP pipe vs Can and y-pipe

Allseasons

Premium Member
Feb 2, 2014
Rocky Mtn House AB
I buy into the hype unfortunately and have bolted crap on all my sleds.
So I have to question, if my Y pipe, head domes, reeds do not actually add power but lose, why am I up to 70grams in clutch and need to add a touch more due to still over revving at times, at elevation of 7-8000ft? Another point of interest, one particular hill in an area I ride, I'd stab at the hill trying to crest and reach a bigger area, couldn't get over with stock sled, now I can crest quite easily. And I can say it's not snow conditions that dictate that change.
So I get it, Dyno sheets can be minipulated, and they can tell truths, but there's gotta be something building more power with the crap I've bolted on to explain the added weight in clutch

K

knifedge

Dec 20, 2009
Colorado
--That is what seems to be confusing..lol

--I dont think anybody is lying here, regardless of point of view...

K

knifedge

Dec 20, 2009
Colorado
So I have to question, if my Y pipe, head domes, reeds do not actually add power but lose, why am I up to 70grams in clutch and need to add a touch more due to still over revving at times, at elevation of 7-8000ft? Another point of interest, one particular hill in an area I ride, I'd stab at the hill trying to crest and reach a bigger area, couldn't get over with stock sled, now I can crest quite easily. And I can say it's not snow conditions that dictate that change.
So I get it, Dyno sheets can be minipulated, and they can tell truths, but there's gotta be something building more power with the crap I've bolted on to explain the added weight in clutch

--No doubt you have experienced a performance increase...however...

---Technically the y pipe could still be losing you HP .... as that was not likely installed and tested individually first...you "may " gain some back with the stock oem y pipe.....

-- Stock oem head is 13/1 i believe...

---Also was the clutching added with the kit parts or before..?? the clutching itself "may " be your biggest gain....

-- My sled track speed went from mid to upper 30's mph to lower 40's mph just with clutch tuning ....

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
good read http://www.dynotechresearch.com/file_upload/page_files/dtrxf800pipeshootout.pdf
not sure if the Y on got a revision in the proclimb chassis tho,(?) so could be somewhat irrelevant. Based on this i would get a D&D. The BMP looks good with stock pipe, i dont like how it drops like 15 hp at 8000 rpm on these charts when paired with their pipe. i like to overrev down low a hair so its spot on up high in the pow. the fast drop in power from 7900 to 8000 would kinda suck imo.

im in the middle of installing a SSI. Got it from a forum member for 100 bones shipped.:face-icon-small-coo Wish i knew how it stacked up on the dyno. the tubes are definitely a little fatter. the exterior is prettier than the inside. i ground down as much of the inside seam boogers as i could reach with my dremel attachments. id prolly go with D&D if i were redoing it but a couple of you forum guys recommended SSI so Ill see what the butt dyno says this winter.

K

knifedge

Dec 20, 2009
Colorado
good read http://www.dynotechresearch.com/file_upload/page_files/dtrxf800pipeshootout.pdf
not sure if the Y on got a revision in the proclimb chassis tho,(?) so could be somewhat irrelevant. Based on this i would get a D&D. The BMP looks good with stock pipe, i dont like how it drops like 15 hp at 8000 rpm on these charts when paired with their pipe. i like to overrev down low a hair so its spot on up high in the pow. the fast drop in power from 7900 to 8000 would kinda suck imo.

im in the middle of installing a SSI. Got it from a forum member for 100 bones shipped.:face-icon-small-coo Wish i knew how it stacked up on the dyno. the tubes are definitely a little fatter. the exterior is prettier than the inside. i ground down as much of the inside seam boogers as i could reach with my dremel attachments. id prolly go with D&D if i were redoing it but a couple of you forum guys recommended SSI so Ill see what the butt dyno says this winter.

--Thanks snojet

---Good info to look at.....

http://www.bd-xtreme.com/index.php?id_product=221&controller=product

BDX makes the biggest claim and the least expensive..however they didnt post the dyno results to look at..

I know a guy who has one of these and he says you can feel a difference..but he also changed a clutch spring and timing key at the same time....

Last edited:

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta

You couldn't be more right the added weight is because it makes more power. Its kind of a built in dyno, doesn't give all the numbers but you get the results. Its hard to feel small hp increases by the seat of your pants. You can add 3-5 hp and not feel it, or throw on a can loose 1-2 and think you gained hp. But adding weight is a fact.

Allseasons

Premium Member
Feb 2, 2014
Rocky Mtn House AB
--No doubt you have experienced a performance increase...however...

---Technically the y pipe could still be losing you HP .... as that was not likely installed and tested individually first...you "may " gain some back with the stock oem y pipe.....

-- Stock oem head is 13/1 i believe...

---Also was the clutching added with the kit parts or before..?? the clutching itself "may " be your biggest gain....

-- My sled track speed went from mid to upper 30's mph to lower 40's mph just with clutch tuning ....

Ya I bought a kit, but added each component per trip, so I could try to see gains or decreases. Again, I've domes are not always great, but My M8 bottom end was greatly improved with head domes and reeds.

Once I get my pipe back I'm booking dyno time, see where it sits. Help set up my clutching better as well

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
the clutch never lies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! full slp pipe will not gain at all peek power just mid and will clean up the throttle response as well as lose 20+ lbs. and the map is good along with a 1.5-2.5 timing key. now some of the BB options will move you from 68g to 75-78g primary weight JME. gearing is a big step too. 5-9k

CB.8

Skidoo hill crew
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colfax, WA
Update. I added a BMP ypipe and Diamond s can before the season started. At the same time I add .8 grams to the middle hole on my mds weights and 1.5 grams to the end. Took it out today and my rpms are the same or a touch higher. The combination makes hp.

Nov 29, 2007
wasifulus alaska
the slp full pipe kit and power commander has been on my 12 since 2013 I hvent touched it.good reliable power imo
I have done ypipes and cans on other sleds and felt no difference.except I had to wear ear plugs

Premium Features