• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Boosted MPI 850... EAR TO EAR SMILE!!!

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
I just installed this kit last week from MPI. The fit and finish of it is amazing. The MPI store is a few blocks from my home in Utah and I was able to swing by and pick up the kit. The packaging and unboxing felt like an apple iPhone, very nicely protected and displayed. I can't begin to tell you how well it's built and designed. The only 'hard mod' on my sled I had to make was to cut one fuel line for the extra fuel injectors that are included. Everything else was plug and play. The instructions are very well done. I installed it in my garage in about 5.5 hours. I am going to install one for a friend, it should take me about 4 hours. I was a bit worried about the mountain can being too loud (it looks like a straight pipe) as I really prefer to have a stealth/stock sounding sled. This is louder than stock but honestly, it is not as loud as my T3 with a Diamond S QUIET can which both surprised and pleased me. It has a nice aftermarket note to it.

The power and throttle response is unreal. Total grin from ear to ear (maybe an understatement).

What did you use to add weight to your clutch? I used a longer screw and some weight to get me around 24 grams..(not an official clutch weight kit)

Thanks!

Thanks for the report!

I'm hoping the "quiet" version is as 'stealth' as you say.... I'm all for less noise from the machine... let you riding do the talking..not the exhaust. But hey, thats just my 2¢

4B11T

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2014
This is an incredible set up!!! Josh at MPI nailed this kit. Dennis Durmas at Weekender got it in last week, JT and I did the install and... she RIPS! Install was a little labor intensive and the weight isn't a wash, as expected, but the kit is very clean. The sled is very responsive. Clutching, believe it or not, changed only by adding weight!!! I'm thrilled!:face-icon-small-hap

How much weight did you add? Are you using the weights on the stock bolts? Where did you get the weights?

Kit adds 12 lbs. w/o gauges

Thanks,

4B11T

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2014
Nothing is overbuilt, it's a nice kit, stock parts that you take off are lighter than ever. The simplicity and fit of this kit is great. If there is a claimed lighter kit... They maybe run an airsock instead of the stock airbox which doesn't interest me.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Ouch... 12 lbs, that sure seams a lot for a kit after removing that heavy muffler.. What did they over build so much?.

You just made my day.

here we are in teh 850 forum with Thread after thread after thread of people COMPLAINING about how the 850 is underbuilt, not tough enough, not strong enough, its too light, its too weak, its to flimsy, on and on and on about how its not enough of this or not enough of that.

And then you come along and complain that the MPI Turbo is OVERBUILT.:face-icon-small-hap

I love SnoWest!

These poor manufacturers are Damned if they DO and damned if they DON'T. They just can't win around here.

Its too light
Its too heavy

Its too weak
Its too strong

Nytroty

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Chaska, MN
I totally agree Christoper! 12lbs seems totally reasonable to me for this kind of mod. The problem i have with it is MPI claimed 0 weight gain for this kit when they came out.... What changed by 12lbs from September to now.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I totally agree Christoper! 12lbs seems totally reasonable to me for this kind of mod. The problem i have with it is MPI claimed 0 weight gain for this kit when they came out.... What changed by 12lbs from September to now.
Did they really claim a NET 0 weight Loss/Gain on the new kit?

hobbes

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Did they really claim a NET 0 weight Loss/Gain on the new kit?

Mountain Performance Inc. has released a 200-hp turbo system for the 2017 Ski-Doo 850 E-Tec. The kit comes assembled as shown in the photos, and the mountain version (standard version shown) will have a small exhaust muffler. The crew at MPI claim there will be no extra weight added to the sled versus what is removed, for a zero-pound net weight gain. Watch www.snowest.com for more details. #haydays #skidoo #turbo

This is your exact quote from the 850 MPI Turbo kit thread... it's the very first post of that thread.

12 lbs does sound like a lot of weight honestly. I'd like to see the weights on everything that comes off vs. goes on.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho

Mountain Performance Inc. has released a 200-hp turbo system for the 2017 Ski-Doo 850 E-Tec. The kit comes assembled as shown in the photos, and the mountain version (standard version shown) will have a small exhaust muffler. The crew at MPI claim there will be no extra weight added to the sled versus what is removed, for a zero-pound net weight gain. Watch www.snowest.com for more details. #haydays #skidoo #turbo

This is your exact quote from the 850 MPI Turbo kit thread... it's the very first post of that thread.

12 lbs does sound like a lot of weight honestly. I'd like to see the weights on everything that comes off vs. goes on.

Does anyone know if they were going to offer TWO different Silencers possibly. Might that have been where the extra weight loss was intended to come from ??

brycter

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
West Haven, Utah
www.turboboys.net
Here's Colton Hicken again with his Sonic X from Turbo Performance Turbo Boyz. Getting crazy and hanging it out! Turbos and sleds are so much fun!!! In stock and ready to ship, give us a call 801-807-8046 or visit www.turboperformanceind.com
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GTLVFVTURTY?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
https://www.youtube.com/embed/GTLVFVTURTY[/QUOTE]

Just got another one. Our friend and costumer Matthew Babler with a Sonic X. Remember to call 801-807-8046 for more information or to get yours

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/eJwka9TPoOs?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
https://www.youtube.com/embed/eJwka9TPoOs

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
40898d1331800303-thread-hijack-copyofhijack.jpg

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho

So MAC from MPI just called me to let me know my Turbo shipped out UPS this afternoon. While speaking to him I asked about the weight issue.

His reply was that their original weight estimate was based on the pre-production OEM Muffler that BRP had supplied them on the Demo Sled. Turns out the final production muffler was 6lbs LIGHTER than the original demo.
So that added +6lbs to their final weight estimates

Also, the MPI Airbox / intake assembly came in at +1lb over original estimate. So that put them at +7lbs.

The other couple pounds were just plain differences in actual weights vs. their best guess from their own pre-production to final production components.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
So MAC from MPI just called me to let me know my Turbo shipped out UPS this afternoon. While speaking to him I asked about the weight issue.

His reply was that their original weight estimate was based on the pre-production OEM Muffler that BRP had supplied them on the Demo Sled. Turns out the final production muffler was 6lbs LIGHTER than the original demo.
So that added +6lbs to their final weight estimates

Also, the MPI Airbox / intake assembly came in at +1lb over original estimate. So that put them at +7lbs.

The other couple pounds were just plain differences in actual weights vs. their best guess from their own pre-production to final production components.

Glad to see you finally got yours on the way Christopher. Maybe we will have to get out together. Over 250 miles on my MPI 850. Very happy. It really is a lot of fun on a light weight turbo sled. Just make sure you follow the install instructions to the T and you will be happy.

Last edited:

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Max waiting for my kit to show just curious if the bottom end snap was affected at all, any lag after install?

I would say the bottom end snap is a little lost. Clutching the turbo helps a lot. Some are just adding weight to the primary and that gets you there, but the secondary you can gain a lot of performance with. I haven't tried the primary spring yet because its a pain in the *** to change out.

Premium Features