• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Shim spider or run Thundershift ABC clutch bolt?? Help

P

prairieguy

Nov 26, 2007
So here is my problem I love running Dalton adjustable weights bc I ride around home lots below 3000ft and make quite a few trips to the mountains and like to pull as much primary weight as I can when I’m there to make my sled rev 7350 but when running Daltons and the stock yellow/white spring the engagement is way too high for me! I have been using the gold spring to help the engagement but feel the gold spring does not pull as hard midrange as the yell/white arctic cat spring.
So me and the brother are both looking into shimming the spider over to get the correct .20 gap and bring the engagement back to stock with the Daltons but I have been researching and some guys are saying just run thundershifts ABC clutch bolt, but no one has really said how good they really do work!!! I’m looking for help on what to do? Buy the clutch bolt and adjust the primary that way or pull the clutch off and get the local dealer to shim the spider for me which they have never done before for someone!!! Since I do not have the tools to do it myself and live in northern sask and am very limited to performance shops!

CB.8

Skidoo hill crew
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colfax, WA
ABC kit work awesome. Can adjust as the belt wears and no chance of breaking the spider when removing it. Just remember if you want to take the clutch cover off remove the ABC kit first. It does a number on the cover bushing.

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
X3 ABC kit is working awesome on my 7. I did not realize how far off my clearance was until I got the kit. Super smooth engagement now. Works great, worth the money and super simple to install and adjust.

N
Apr 8, 2010
Newcastle, WA
For you guys that have been running the ABC kit for a while, are you adjusting it for belt clearance and adjust the deflection as your belts get thinner and getting more life (with proper engagement) out of the same belt?

Thunder101

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Just know there is more to it than just belt to sheve. untucking the weights I find helps alot.IMO

Thunder101

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Yes. more roller to weight and your belt grip goes up in low range. This is also why Cats have light tip weights bc they lack in low range and have lots at shift out. If you have a friend with the tools shim it, or if your going to oun a cat for years to come buy the tools. I made my oun spider grunt tool. Look on HCS Dono was selling the revised shim and had some good write ups about the angle of the weight to the roller. 50thou it what I remember.:face-icon-small-ton and 10-20thou max for belt to sheave. The prairies blow this time year dont they :face-icon-small-fro Im in Stoon -37 today

mikew5945

Lifetime Membership
Aug 30, 2009
SW Montana
I had one on my M7. With all the Mods I did to that sled the ABC was the only product that delivered 100% on the advertisement.

ND. If you maintain 0.20 clearance your deflection will not change that much. That said. Yes and Yes to your questions.

A

arcticrat

Dec 21, 2009
I have a 09 HCR , Have had the ABC adjuster for three years. I was always takeing spider on and off, to shim. never seem to get same width belts. Abc is so much easier then yanging clutch off, and pulling spider off, and hopefully picking the right shimm.I have had no issues and perfect belt clearance all the time.

J

Jordo

Nov 3, 2009
Stillwater,MN
Hey guys, anyone try the 911 billet cover? Looks like for $240 you get the ABC bolt and a billet cover with a much improved oilite bushing... Looks like that would be the ticket.

F_ast

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008
Ontario
Anyone had any issues with the ABC bolt? I took a look at my buddies before his sled was stolen, and I thought the collar making contact with the cover would eventually make a mess of things.

Anyone?

U

Uller

Nov 26, 2007
Greater NW
Anyone had any issues with the ABC bolt? I took a look at my buddies before his sled was stolen, and I thought the collar making contact with the cover would eventually make a mess of things.

Anyone?

Oh yeah, I've had that damn thing tighten down on the clutch a couple of times. It is a pain in the ***. I delt with readjusting it twice and said, "no more."

The concept is fantastic, and when it works properly it is good however; out in the west with the heavy, wet snow pushing on the side panel in a L side carve it just can't take it IMO.

Edit: Before I get attacked.... I know how to clean, loctite and properly tighten an allen head set screw.

M
Aug 11, 2008
Hey guys, anyone try the 911 billet cover? Looks like for $240 you get the ABC bolt and a billet cover with a much improved oilite bushing... Looks like that would be the ticket.

I've been using 911 covers since just after Duane came out with them on different motors/sleds, 9-post and 6-post. Bought the first one used at Rum River Grass Drags and they deliver 110% on promise. The easiest way I know of to make a clutch last longer that the sled ever will. I change my shim stack one time using a cut-down Bearcat spacer but now any other adjustmets are made with the cover combination. And Lonn having the idea to balance the clutch with Thundershift fasteners and washers is brilliant.

http://www.thunderproducts.com/911 Clutch Cover.htm

L
Dec 7, 2007
SWEDEN
Similar problems...

So here is my problem...
I love running Dalton adjustable weights bc I ride around home lots below 3000 ft and make quite a few trips to the mountains and like to pull as much primary weight as I can when I’m there to make my sled rev 7350 but when running Daltons and the stock Arctic Cat Yellow/White spring the engagement is way too high for me !
I have been using the Gold spring to help the engagement but feel the Gold spring does not pull as hard midrange as the Yellow/White Arctic Cat spring.

So I looking into shimming the spider over to get the correct 0.20" gap and bring the engagement Rpm's back to stock with the Daltons but I have been researching and some guys are saying just run thundershifts ABC clutch bolt,
but no one has really said how good they really do work !!!
I’m looking for help on what to do ?
Buy the ABC clutch bolt and adjust the primary that way or pull the clutch off and shim the spider ?

Yes. more roller to weight clearance and your belt grip goes up in low range.
This is also why Arctic Cat have light tip weights bc they lack in low range and have lots at shift out.
If you have a friend with the tools shim it, or if your going to run a cat for years to come buy the tools.
I made my oun spider grunt tool.
Look on HCS DonoBBD was selling the revised shim and had some good write ups about the angle of the weight to the roller.
50 thou it what I remember. :face-icon-small-ton and 10-20 thou max for belt to sheave.
:help: :help:
Someone who can link or help me find these posts from DonoBBD on HCS forum ?

:help: :help:

Last edited:
M
Mar 18, 2011
Manitoba
Oh yeah, I've had that damn thing tighten down on the clutch a couple of times. It is a pain in the ***. I delt with readjusting it twice and said, "no more."

The concept is fantastic, and when it works properly it is good however; out in the west with the heavy, wet snow pushing on the side panel in a L side carve it just can't take it IMO.

Edit: Before I get attacked.... I know how to clean, loctite and properly tighten an allen head set screw.

I have had exactly the same thing happen

Premium Features